Ask a Question
02/21/2013 10:06 AM

Upper Cervical Care Helps with Rheumatoid Arthritis

mem7117

Post edited by: Neckworker, at: 02/24/2013 03:42 PM

02/23/2013 11:41 PM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

Sorry, but I highly mistrust chriro's since one put my knee out of whack so bad I had excruciating pain for six months, then had to have a knee replacement.

02/24/2013 02:05 AM
Herblady
Herblady  

I was raised going to chiropracters...so I trust what they do...but, there are good ones and bad ones, just like everyone else....

Our family chiropracter while growing up was great....he even saved my brother's life...his neck was compressed while being born, reg. MD's told us it was his heart and didn't expect him to live long....drove from Chicago to MI to family chiro .. his orders, arrived there at 3am and after several weeks, he was "cured".....I was about 7 years old then...and will never forget that!

02/24/2013 08:31 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

I want to bring to our attention that our bodies, when hit by RA, stop being "normal" bodies. We do strive to have them be as normal as possible, and lead a life as normal as possible, but we must acknowledge an RA body behaves differently than a healthy body, in all circumstances, whether your RA is severe or mild, whether you already have joint erosion or you don't.

Our healing is different, our response to any type of manipulation is different (because our inflammatory response is overly active), the strength of our connective tissue (bones, muscles, tendonds, etc) is far less than normal, and when there is joint erosion, which can go undetected by us and our doctors for a long time, our anatomy even changes slightly to accomodate and adapt to the new positioning of things. We are different than the standard.

If you have added chronical issues, like osteoporosis, OA, neuropathies, and many more, management of your body becomes more and more complicated. There are few health professionals who understand RA and its vast effects in our bodies. Someone with poor understanding of RA will treat you very similar to their other patients, think a physical therapist who does only minor variations to the excersise routine the make you do. No, that will not work and will most likely end up in pain and damage for you.

So we need professionals who understand RA, and because chiropractors manipulate our musculoskeletal system, which is delicate, they need to REALLY understand RA.

As far as cervical spine, i want to ask for caution. There is a myth that RA does not affect the spine (many drs say so; there is medical debate). I have met several people who have had it affected, here and in person, so in my opinion, it does. Some have it severely affected (like me). When RA does hit the spine, it most often does at cervical spine level. We have to take very good care of it and be very gentle with it. I cannot emphasize this enough, because cervical spine problems are very serious (even the "mild" ones).

I know i can't go to a chiropractor because my body is way too compromised by RA. It would be very dangerous.

Like any other type of therapy, it is a personal choice, and like any other health professional (or to a greater extent) it is all about finding a good chiropractor who knows about RA. Maybe a really good one can help, that is for each to decide. The important thing is to go armed with knowledge.

02/24/2013 09:25 AM
mem7117

Post edited by: Neckworker, at: 02/24/2013 03:43 PM

02/24/2013 03:34 PM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHECK WITH YOUR RHEUMATOLOGIST AND/OR HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE UNDERTAKING ANY 'ALTERNATIVE' THERAPIES. THAT WAY YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED AND SAFE DECISION REGARDING YOUR HEALTH CARE.

02/24/2013 04:00 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

It looks like the chiropractor has deleted her post. A most satisfactory thing for me.

02/24/2013 04:03 PM
FunnyLady
FunnyLadyPosts: 197

I wonder why the original message is deleted.

Good advice, Cata and Karen.

02/24/2013 04:26 PM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

I sent her a message telling her that while we are open to her opinions and suggestions, we would not accept her continuation of advertising/spamming her own practice on here. I had to edit the prior post because she put a link to her practice in it.

Please keep in mind that I googled the doctor, and she had essentially posted on all kinds of sites. Meetup groups about ADHD, Bipolar and Depression, and advertisement in a holistic journal to name a few. She had "tailored" her ads to each specific group, just as she did ours. Also she had not "joined" any support groups on MDJ, so really.. what interest , other than promoting her business, did she TRULY have in your RA?

SHE made the decision to delete her posts. I only told her she couldn't come on here and advertise her business otherwise she may face being banned.

SOOOO..... looks like she WAS just promoting business.. otherwise why would she have felt the need to delete her posts??

I am sorry if this upsets anyone, however we GL's sometimes have to make judgement calls that aren't always popular.

Post edited by: kvnj, at: 02/24/2013 04:31 PM

02/24/2013 04:42 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

Karen,

You made the decision before I did it. I totally agree with you. You are right, we GL's have to make decisions like this and it is always with the best of intentions.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved