MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/31/2012 12:46 AM

How fast can this progress?

Angelodious
Angelodious  

I'm new to all of this... And I was just diagnosed last August. I had joint pain then - some mild ankle, knee, shoulder pain plus serious neck and upper back pain (which I've had for some time). But I've NEVER had foot pain.

I'm at work tonight and I feel like sharp, little knives are stabbing me in my toes and it's hard to walk. I have a burning sensation too. The knives stab with weight bearing, but the burning is constant.

Is it just me or does this seem a little too fast??? Dizzy

10/31/2012 05:38 AM
lakelady
lakelady  

Sorry to tell you this but i"ve had these symptoms since for 2 years now and was diagnosed in march of this year.Do you have swelling from inflammation? I never had problems from my feet before rad and worked on them all day 6 days a week for 20 years.That is no more,never gonna happen again.I have permanant damage to hands and feet an ankles.Treat it hard and fast.If I had known what this was I would have.Hoping you get releif soon,Susan

10/31/2012 06:09 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Depending on the indiviual and how well the meds work will deermine how fast RA progresses. Make no mistake it does progress.

Mine started in my feet and hands. Very hard and very fast. Within months nearly every joint in my body was affected.

I agree with lakelady. ...treat it hard and fast. Once damage is done it is done.

Praying for you friend.

Hugs

10/31/2012 06:14 AM
FunnyLady
FunnyLadyPosts: 197

I get that feeling in my feet/toes too. My RA pain started in my feet/ankles. It's amazing once you're diagnosed you seem to notice more things more often since you know what to expect now for the most part. I used to blow it off before I was diagnosed. During a flare, the pain/inflammation is like a roller coaster ride throughout my body. I could have pain/immobility in my right shoulder in the morning, then it eases up, but then uh oh...horrible, weird, burning pain shoot through my foot like lightning and it feels like it's going to keep going, busting right out of the tips of my toes. Then...gone. It travels like that thru my body during a flare. So, sometimes I think I sound like a hypochondriac cuz I'm like "Oh, my shoulder...Oh, my foot...Ouch, my hips, etc......" lol When my family sees me heading for the prednisone bottle, they either scatter or straighten up! They I know I'm in pain and I may have lost my sense of humor. The worst part of a flare for me is trying to sleep. Lordy, lordy do I have a hard time. I wake myself up moaning sometimes because the pain gets worse the longer my body is at rest. Sometimes I have to get up at night just to walk around a bit to ease the pain. Then, when I'm coming out of a flare, inflammation subsides, all my bones start popping and cracking(not painful) with every little movement. That, my dear, has been going on for the past year for me, and another year prior before symptoms became so severe. However, when my rheumy had my feet, ankles, hands, knees, xrayed...absolutely no destruction. I was certain he was gonna tell me to order my wheelchair asap, just by the way I felt. So, to hear that my joints were all okay was such a huge relief. So, to finally get to the point, lol.... everyone's disease and progression is different. My rheumy said WITH treatment, I have many quality years left, hopefully progressing slowly over the next 10 years... WITHOUT treatment, I would be in a wheelchair with permanent damage in 3-5 years. That was enough to convince me to start methotrexate that same day. lol Others' stories are much different, and every rheumy may tell you something different. This is just my personal experience.

10/31/2012 06:35 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

Over the 3 years RA has taught me that it is different for everyone. Just by reading the posts here. I'm still scared of the medications and what they are doing to my body. I also know the pain of flares and don't want to go back to that. It will progress, but with good care we will buy some time and make living good. With MTX I've had some real good days for days in a row.

After my DX I did see things in my life that pointed to this before hand. I explained it away as work related, older age related, and tired related. Take good care of your self.

10/31/2012 06:51 PM
Angelodious
Angelodious  

I know that this started 2 years ago when I developed nodular scleritis. But it wasn't just my eyes. I'd feel exhausted, have low grade fevers, feel ill all over, get stiff in my neck/shoulders/upper back, and have terrible kidney pain, and after that my eyes would knot up. I saw several doctors but my RF was negative at that time and I went undiagnosed. This cycle repeated for a year... And then relief. It all went away for about a year, until last August.

I've decided to do whatever my doctor tells me to. I've become a compliant patient. There's nothing quite like ~pain~ and the strong possibility of being crippled as a strong motivator. I go to see my rheumy Friday morning and will take whatever he suggests. I NEED my feet!!! He xrayed my hands and feet and my feet show abnormalities already. :`(

10/31/2012 07:08 PM
Angelodious
Angelodious  

What about exhaustion? Does anybody else here seem to feel exhausted a lot? My bad days are ALL the time. I haven't had a good day since August 4th. I work all the time and it's starting to effect my work. I DID get granted 8 hour shifts instead of 12 hours YAY and start that 11/17/12. I'm hoping that helps me feel a little less exhausted.

10/31/2012 07:20 PM
Pixxiecatt
Pixxiecatt  

I'm a little scared reading these symptoms! I was having weird hand pain and let my Dr know while I was at an appt for my back, shoulder and neck I described the pain to him and he told me I might have RA but it won't show up in a blood test yet because its just beginning. Any advice on what I can do now? Is this normal to have this but it not show up in blood test?

10/31/2012 07:20 PM
mem7300

Angelodious, I too get exhausted over nothing it seems and it takes a long time just to feel a little rested. My dr told me it was due my Fibromyalgia. Sometimes I even wake up tired even though I slept the night thru. I hate feeling this way and nothing seems to give me the energy I so badly want. Then there are days I feel fine, at least until I start doing something that works my heart, like sweeping or doing simple things that can make me feel tired again. Good luck finding some relief and make sure you let us know! Alice

10/31/2012 08:05 PM
Slojo

If my pain, which hasnt been too bad, but it's there, in my shoulder,burning feet lasts longer than a week or so, should I be getting on more meds? It's not too bad, but it is there. I am new at this and not sure when i should I be contacting my Doc. My Doc after 5 months of being on meds and after blood test every 5 weeks, now says I can see her every 3 months. But if I am having some pain for the last week or so, just wondering if I should be concerned. Thank you.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved