MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2011 05:38 AM

Retina created from embryonic stem cells

RobertM

Whatever your view may be on ES cells this breakthrough is quite amazing. Apparently, these scientists were able to create a mouse retina from ES cells. The article doesn't mention if the retina was functional, but this is still very exciting!

http://www.cdb.riken.go.jp/en/04_news/articles/11/ 110407_selfmadeeye.html

04/21/2011 03:08 PM
Scrattyme
ScrattymePosts: 786

The article that I read a couple of weeks ago said that it was a functional retina complete with photoreceptor cells included. They never expected that.

I've always said that a cure will not come from the US, but rather another country that doesn't have the same strict guidelines that the US FDA has in place. GO JAPAN!!!

To me stem cells will be the answer to a cure. JMO

04/21/2011 06:01 PM
ssb1712
ssb1712  

No it is not fully functionin g like human one. It is in very primary stage and they have to do much more (as per the artical) . RegeniX co washington had published about one time isubetinal injuction dose of normal photocoppy in X linked RP has good results. you can goggle it on NAV gene therapy for occular disorders.

@ Beath go japan!!!! good idea but what will u do after 9 RTZ scale earthquake....

04/21/2011 06:55 PM
Scrattyme
ScrattymePosts: 786

Dr. Norman Radtke in Louisville Kentucky has been doing studies on the stem cells for quite awhile and has shown remarkable improvment to a patient with Macular Degeneration. Her visual acuity doubled. Amazing. Regardless of what your religeous views may be, the findings coming out on stem cell research is remarkable. I would be the first in line and I am a christian.

SSB, I'll wait until they have a functioning one for humans. By then the aftermath of the earthquakes will have settled. Or at least I hope they have. Sad tragedy going on in Japan. I feel for them and any of the other countries that have had devastating acts of nature.

04/22/2011 04:06 AM
ssb1712
ssb1712  

hi Beath and others , a new approch OPTOGENITICS is also showing a potential therapy hope tiil end of 2020... The following is the link to share with you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2011/apr/21/retinal- prosthetics-human-plus-exhibition

ssb

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved