MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/07/2009 02:08 PM

RP and now Cataract surgery???

rphope2009
rphope2009Posts: 13

Hi all:

This is Alvaro again.

I was going to wait some time before asking this only because I thought would be easier to decide but as I have discovered is not.

You see, I have ten degrees of vision left in my right eye and eight in my left, a week ago I went to my retinologist and he told me now is clear I have cataracts in both eyes, they are not mature yet but I feel I am seeing more cloudy than usual, also he told me my RP has advanced more in the past year than in years ago.

He asked me if my cataracts are keeping me from doing things, I told him my contact lenses are so old that is not helping me as one of them seems to give me a cloud kinda vision, yeah dont ask me how or why, but anyways I will buy a new pair of contact lenses soon and then we will see what I am seeing then.

But regardless, I want to ask you people, my doctor says cataracts in a RP patient should be operated as soon as the patient wants to BUT is much better if the person gets the surgery before the cataracts are mature, he says that if the cataracts are very mature the surgeon would need more time in surgery trying to remove the cataracts meaning an increasing amount of risk that there may be a retina dettachment or any problems in surgery.

However some doctors say that is best to operate in a mature cataract, but my doctor is ane xper on RP however not an expert in cataract.

What to believe? Is best to wait or not so much? I think I can wait some months, I have the intuition with my new lenses I will see a bit better and the need for surgery wont be that important, I cant say typing on the computer I sense the cloudy things, but again my lenses are so old that they get cloudy abit, so I need to do some tests after the enw lenses are here, theya re being done in Boston as we speak so we will see but I want your opinion about cataract surgery when you have RP and youa re my age 34 oor around that age.

This is a very interesting debate because many doctors differ in their concept I hear.

Thanks for any "light" you can give me and all us for that matter.

03/07/2009 05:03 PM
Scrattyme
ScrattymePosts: 786

Hey Alvaro.

You are right. Some doctors have varying opinions when it comes to RP and cataracts. I can tell you from my own personal experience that my life has dramatically improved since having my cataract surgery. Like you I wore contact lenses and always felt like they needed cleaning. It really was interferring with my vision. I didn't realize how much until I had them removed. My doctor was one of the best in Oklahoma. He advised me to remove them as soon as they started affecting my vision. I was 23 when I had mine removed.

PLEASE make sure that you have a doctor who is properly trained and has had many RP patients.

One side effect of cataract removal for some RP patience is a higher risk of CME. You can do a search on that one.

I never had any side effects from mine. Only very vivid colors and clarity like i had never had before.

I would recommend you check into it. I was never disappointed with my decision to have the removed. The best choice I had made.

Good luck with your decision.

BethSmile

03/08/2009 12:35 PM
rphope2009

Thanks Beth for your help and nice words.

I have a followup if I may:

I have been recommended a doctor that makes ten to twenty cataract surgeries a week, has at least five years doing that, however he has few patietns with RP for what I hear, would that disqualify him in your opinion?

Thanks.

Alvaro.

03/08/2009 12:40 PM
Scrattyme
ScrattymePosts: 786

I wouldn't say disqualify him. You may go and talk to him and get his professional opinion on your particular case. Make sure to ask him what are the risks involved with RP patients. If you tells you that there are none, I would recommend you see someone else. There are risks for patients with RP and you want your doctor to be very open and honest about these risks and to be able to discuss them with you so that you can make a well informed decision.

Good luck with your appointment Alvaro.

Beth

03/08/2009 01:16 PM
rphope2009

This group is aamzing, thanks so much Beth, I will keep you all posted, you make a difference, is not easy to make some decisssions and this group has helped me inmensily.

God Bless You.

Alvaro.

03/08/2009 07:10 PM
rustyp

Hey Alvaro,

I had my cataracts removed about five yrs. ago and i will be 39 March 13. My experience with it is you should have them removed when you feel that they are affecting your vision. Which, is kindof hard to get a feel on since you have RP. The dettached retina part would be a problem if you didn't have RP. The surgery is painless and as long as you don't lift anything heavy for a few weeks you should be fine. My advice would be: since you have RP you shouldn't be in a big hurry unless you can really tell that the cataracts are affecting your vision. If so, have them removed. Good luck and if i can be of any help just let me know?

Rusty

03/08/2009 09:41 PM
rphope2009

My gGod rusty youa re back, this is alvaro the same from the chat remember? I emaield you a weeka go but havent heard back from you.

Hope we can stay in touch.

Alvaro.

PS: I will do as you say for now wont rush into anything, thanks friend!

03/22/2009 04:35 PM
cdilj
cdilj  

Hello,

I am new to the group and just had a cataract removed on Thursday. I am really glad I did it. I am hoping that my doc doesn't wait as long for my other eye. The improvement in my central vision was so dramatic! My reasoning for it is that with reduced peripheral vision my central vision needs to be the best it can be! At 46 I want to be able to do as much as I can while I can! I don't want to waste a moment of sighted life while I have it and if the surgery enhances that, then let's get on with it. Of course, this is my personal decision/approach and you need to search your heart to do what feels right for you. cdilj

03/23/2009 08:23 AM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

This is a good topic. I didn't know that there was an increased risk for people with RP. Beth gave some really good advice regarding drs. My boyfriend had a cornea transplant, then had a cataract removed. They are common after cornea surgery. He did fine and so did my father. But, neither has RP. Good luck with your decision Alvaro.

03/23/2009 08:09 PM
MRodz

HI Beth and group

Greeting from Sunny Barbados!

I'm new and VERY glad to find someone to talk to about cataract surgery. I have RP and am booked for surgery and implant of Restor Multi focal lens next month. My surgeon (very limited choice in Barabdos) comes highly recommended BUT has not implanted these particular lens in an RP patient before.

I am desperate to be able to be able to see a bit more clearly to read and paint without this blurry double vision caused by my cataracts.

You mentioned one side effect of cataract removal for some RP patience is a higher risk of CME. What is CME. I am not sure I have heard about this but want to ask my dr more about it

Look forward ot your reply

Margaret

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved