MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2012 08:52 AM

I did it, finally

monochrome
monochromePosts: 677

I walk to a friend's house about a mile away every now and then. To get there I have to cross a four lane road on a crosswalk with no light in a 45 MPH zone. I never trust that anyone sees me, or that I can properly check for traffic. Yesterday it was really windy and the wind noise made it impossible to hear cars. I finally bit the bullet, unfolded my ID cane as I approached the crosswalk, did my best to look and listen, and crossed the street with my ID cane in full view for the first time ever.

It turns out there were no cars. No traffic. I don't think anyone even saw me. BUT I WAS READY!

04/04/2012 09:44 AM
Musicman
Musicman  

Congratulations and a huge step foward.

I told myself the year 2012 was going to be the year of the cane. Started taking walks in the park across the street during the night. Odd, the ride was a little bumpy yet felt good...Had a few moments when I had to stop for a moment, seemed surreal.....I even close my eyes completely with my cane at night, funny how your other senses take over.

I have intruduced the cane to the public, in stores, returaunts....The cane has now become a part of me.

Be very very PROUD of yourself..Smile Smile Smile

04/04/2012 09:58 AM
Scrattyme
ScrattymePosts: 786

GOOD FOR YOU!!! It's funny how bad my heart pounds every time I break out the stick. My legs shake and the fear of being judged kicks in. I think that if I could get over that part of things I would carry it more often because it DOES make a HUGE difference in the ability to be able to walk and actually look at things rather than constantly scan trying to aviod things. Baby steps...One step at a time...You've taken your first BIG BOY step!!! Yay for you!!

04/04/2012 10:34 AM
monochrome

It's funny, I have a huge chip on my shoulder. I worry about what someone will say if they see me cross, then see me fold it back up. What if they notice that I'm not swinging it like a full mobility cane? All those social fears are very prominent. But in this, I decided that the prominence of a front bumper would be worse.

04/04/2012 11:18 AM
rmbeckman
rmbeckman  

monochrome I am the same way. I have carried mine in my purse for two yrs. I have only used it once and that was to retrieve a piece of paper that had fallen in an area I couldn't reach. I am bad about trampling kids...I know that makes me look worse than if I just carried the cane occasionally. I just hate the "why are you using the cane if you aren't totally blind" thing. Makes me wanna use my cane in other ways.

04/04/2012 12:39 PM
westcoast

Mono, this is huge. Really huge. If I could give you a fist bump and a high five (with a verbal warning, so you would know to look for my hand), I would. And no, you do not have to swing the id cane (sounds dangerous) because that is what you perceive people think you should be doing with it. Other people don't set the rules of cane use for you. If anyone actually told you how you should be using your cane, you should tell them how to walk/talk/dress properly...

Congrats. I am very proud.

04/04/2012 12:43 PM
Shortee
Shortee  

wAY TO GO! This is a terrific milestone. Smile

04/04/2012 12:50 PM
Wiggy
Wiggy  
I'm an Advocate

OUTSTANDING, Mono! And to everybody who beat me to the post! I feel exactly the way everybody else here does, with all the stigmas of it all... the refolding-after-use issue, the swinging-but-really-not thing... I hear you all! Thanks for your bravery, Bud!

04/04/2012 02:23 PM
monochrome

Thanks everyone. On July 18th I travel to NH by myself. The Cane is going to get a workout in full view of a large audience. That will be the real test. I feel a little "warmed up" now. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved