MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/17/2011 11:16 AM

New but excited to share(page 2)

lexi7399

Ill let you know how it goe--keeping my fingers crossed!

12/19/2011 07:46 AM
sg11
sg11  

Something that you may want to keep an eye out for is CME, sometimes you can get it after cataract surgery and sometimes you just get it, it's Cystoid Macular Edema and your macula swells and it can distort your vision, it's just makes your central vision fuzzy. It can be fixed with eye drops or some kind of oral medicine, just keep an eye on your vision and if you see it start to get fuzzy pretty quickly go back to your doc. It's not painful or anything, just annoying.

12/24/2011 10:56 AM
Matt2012
Matt2012Posts: 106

I had to have surgery for mine and then I had to lay face-down for a whole week. It was a nightmare. Have you ever tried sleeping face down? Well it sucks. I always figured why go to the doc if there is no cure? Well it turns out CME is why. If I would have caught it earlier I probably could have just taken the drops.

Post edited by: Matt2012, at: 12/24/2011 10:57 AM

12/25/2011 06:20 PM
lexi7399

Merry Christmas to all who have welcomed me..

Cataract surgery occurred last Monday. What a seamless procedure that was! Wow! In and out! Went back to dr the next day for 24 hour recheck. My vision had already improved to 20/30 within that short time. If course with RP that is not as great as it sounds. The more vivid and acute my distance vision is, the more I see what I can't see! Prior to cataract surgery it was all a foggy soup. Now I have bright clear sight and then whoops...it disappears. Our friend RP still rears its ugly head. Had my right eye done which is my worst. Am looking forward to having the left done in January. That should really help. love that the dr told me to ditch my glasses! Have hated them since I had to give up my contacts. But my eyes are not working as a team right now so we still have issues. And the difficulty in dim light will never go away so this is really only a minor fix. But hey, any improvement is welcome. Time for dinner. Merry Christmas. I

12/25/2011 07:30 PM
billh

Lexi -

I'm also new to the forum, and on the same road you've been on - I'm 54, diagnosed a couple of years ago due to night blindness and holes in my vision, stopped night driving a few months ago, and not looking forward to what's coming as this continues... So far I haven't had the cataract issues you've had, but it sure isn't fun to have the world closing in. Good luck with your second cataract surgery, and Merry Christmas -

Bill

12/26/2011 04:40 AM
ssb1712
ssb1712  

hi lexi, It is wonderful to hear that your surgery gives good result.BUT... do not bounce like football .Take good care avoid bright light for atleast 15 days, also wear a covered special glasses by your doc as well keep drops regularly as per the advice.... sorry for giving surmons.. But wish you all the best for early cure and good luck for second surgery...

ssb

12/27/2011 11:21 PM
peggy03045

Hi lexi, i'm new too, reducing my driving, i dont know much yet, i just wanted to say hi!

Peggy

01/13/2012 01:41 PM
lexi7399

Hi to All,

Just figured out how to make this bigger so it's easier to see what I type!! Small victories...

I am in between my first cataract surgery and my second which will occur Monday. Yay! My eyes have been doing battle for the past month and none of us is happy. My operated eye can see nicely at a distance but doesn't read so well and is the worst RP eye so my field of vision is really messed up. I have islands of black and patches of sight. I can see far away fairly well but anything at arm's length or closer is bad. Then my unoperated eye is still a foggy cataract soup BUT it has a much better field of vision. Now getting all that to work together has not been fun. Friends I meet expect me to be so thrilled by my improved vision and they just do not understand when I say, "No, not really..." It makes me sound so ungrateful--they just don't understand RP and why this disease is such a pain in the rear.

Does anyone know of a good website where they show how RP looks to us--I don't want the classic pinhole picture because that's not what I see. I don't see that encroaching peripheral blackness--my blind spots are peripheral to be sure but they are also random throughout my central vision. I sure wish I could show my friends a picture of what I can see and not see so they would understand.

If you know of such a picture please let me know--it would be ever so helpful.

Thanks to all for their posts and support--this is one place where I can vent and people understand.

01/13/2012 01:50 PM
lexi7399

Just one more quick thought...I live in Illinois where we have had this incredibly mild winter. But we got our first winter storm yesterday. I have decided that for me the total white of snow if harder to navigate than darkness. I can't tell where the sidewalk is and where the ground is. I can't tell where it's deep and where it's not. Then when I get back inside my eyes take forever to readjust from the white glare of snow to inside light. This is not fun...I really hate this disease. Sorry to be so negative today...it's just felt like a really low vision sort of day Sad

01/13/2012 03:25 PM
SNL

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. Good luck on your surgery on mon. I have my first cataract surgery on mon. My 2nd is feb 6th. I'm nervous about how my eyes will work differently in between surgeries. We just got our first snow yesterday too. Yuck.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved