MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/09/2010 09:23 PM

RLS - or 'Twitches' as my Dad called them

Twitcher
Twitcher  

Hi. I'm new to this group but have had RLS for most of my 54 years, although I did experience something of a respite during my my 20s and 30s. My father (who died from Lung Cancer in 1995) suffered from RLS (which he referred to as 'damned twitches !') most of his life and I'm sure I must have inherited it from him.

It seems to strike in phases rather than regularly and lately the bouts have lasted several hours rather than the 1 or 2 hours they used to. Also, I'm beginning to think the condition should be renamed Restless LIMB Syndrome as, often, my arms have the same restless urge and I end up doing something akin to the handjive ! Lol !

About 2 years ago, my doctor prescribed Cabergoline which has been moderately efficacious but not always particularly in the case of severe bouts. The most recent 'take' I've had on it was from another doctor in he practice who asserted that iron deficiency was known to be associated with RLS and prescribed me a course of Ferrous Sulphate tablets. It has to be said that since starting on the tablets some weeks ago, I have not had an RLS attack. Stand by for further bulletins !

Post edited by: Twitcher, at: 04/09/2010 09:25 PM

04/16/2010 01:08 PM
wolflover
wolflover  

my mom takes calcium and iron for her rls which helps alot. i havnt been taking anything for mine sicne i have so many medical problems. and finding things to balance out is hard.

05/10/2010 12:36 PM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

Hi Twitcher.

Here`s hoping the Ferrous Sulphate tablets work well for you. Looking forward to feedback.

Hi wolflover.

07/09/2011 04:39 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

I have low Ferrous and it was discovered through a blood test after my sleep study which showed that I did not have RLS but still my legs jerked and woke me 15 times an hour. However, my overall Iron is high. Taking the Ferrous Iron Supplement did not help me. Because my overall iron is high a Hemoglobist could not give me iron intravenously.

07/09/2011 04:40 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

Also, it is recommended you take Vitamin C with the Ferrous Iron supplements.

08/11/2011 03:31 PM
rtg33905

OMG, there is a board for RLS? I'm allover the place some nights-been finding myself across the bed, upside down-but I also get cramps, let spasms due to muscles-are these the same thing? Good thing I sleep alone-lol

ODDLY only on one leg-my bad side-

I was told to take magnesium and Potassium for leg cramps-I do such but s STILL happens

I see vitamin C which I eat plenty of oranges but also take extra c and iron is in daily i take every other day as such stops me up with constipation-someone else says calcium, that's with my zinc and magnesium I take

The iron in my system is good enough to donate blood with

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved