MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/31/2009 07:33 AM

nerve block

ClaireS
ClaireS  

hi,

on wednesday i went into hospital and had a steriod biers block. It was ok, i was given sedation and morphine afterwards as i was in so much pain. The pain has got worse than it was before. My hand feels like its on fire, its burning so bad. Im taking tramodol and that dosent seem to be working. Ihave also felt sick and very weak. I ended up going to the doctors yesterday and walked in and burst into tears. i was in a mess, and couldnt stop crying. She ended up asking me to take a questionare home and go bk nxt week as she wants to look at poss puting me on anti depessents for a while. to help me during the day and help me sleep at nite.

i just wanted some advice, has anyone ever suffered from a nerve block, cos i was under the impression they worked and blocked the pain. Also anti depressents.. what is your view on these?

xx Smile

10/31/2009 09:45 AM
darlaa
darlaa  

as far as nerve blocks go, they dont always work. I am not familiar with the type of block you had though. I do remember a warmth/burning after but that was because "it was successful". they said that since my feet were freezing cold beforehand it was a sign that it worked, but the pain never really went away and the warmth disappated after a week or so. Your burning sounds a lot more intense though, i would def check in with your doctor if this is still there monday morning! Antidepressants also have a property inwhich they help chronic pain. so this may actually kill two birds with one stone as it may help you sleep and help your pain. which one did they give you?

10/31/2009 09:55 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Claire

I've never had the type of block, but I've had several Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve blocks. Two of the blocks I came out of in worse pain than I went in with. It didn't stop me from going forward with others in the future though. I was desperate. There are risks involved with these, they are suppose to block pain, yet doesn't always happen. I've know many with good results from them, even early remissions to others who have a decrease in pain for only hours, others that have lasted weeks and even others who got no relief at all. I suppose it's often left to chance.

I've been on anti depressants for 7 years beginning approx. 2 years after the original injury that caused my CRPS. I'm currently taking Cymbalta and it does help me to cope better.

Sometimes blocks cause additional pain for a few days to a week and then subsides. You might also still have meds from the procedure including the morphine in your system making you feel ill and week. It's possible that is a side effect of the block itself.

I hope you feel better soon

Warm wishes,

~Twinkle

11/01/2009 02:12 AM
ClaireS
ClaireS  

Thankyou,

the burning has eased a bit now, well, it keeps calming down and coming bk, every now and then. . I dont feel as sick, just tired from the lack of sleep. Ive been wakeing with stabbing pains in my wrist. I wear a splint at nite and when im out or doing jobs round the house and my hand is bursting out of it, it is that swollen.

I know very little about anti depessents, that was my concern, Ive not got any yet, ive got an app monday to go bk and see doc. I have been feeling very down just lately, getting angry with myself and being snappy with my husband. Then i find myself in tears. It sounds like they will help me and also you say will help me sleep.

Im currently taking, Gapapentin, Co codomal, Tramadol, Diclofenic, and Carbamazipin. Do you take this many tablets, it worries me the amount i take every day. The other thing is my Pain management doc said co codamol and Tramadol are ok to take together But my family doctor said not to take these together?? Who is right. Do you know if these are safe together.

Sorry for rambiling on, and thankyou for your replies.

xx

11/01/2009 08:18 AM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

Claire: How long have you been wearing a splint at night? My right hand was immobilized for too long and I have lost the use of it. It is now curled up into a fist and none of the joints move. All from non-use and being in too many casts/braces for too long.

The number of medications you take is not very many. I had been taking 13 types, multiple pills every hour! So, don't worry about the amount; concentrate on do they help you?

Antideppresants can be a big help!

11/01/2009 11:06 AM
Lookinglass

Claire,Anti-depressants can help you deal with all the life changing events that have happened and help with your pain. They too have side effects to live with. I hope you can find one to help you. I've also had bad blocks and good blocks it all depends on different things. You may do better with a med than me. But I've never had this block your speaking of.

Matrix is right about the amount of meds and with the amount of immobility of your arm and hand. I only wear my brace at night and make myself keep the mobility that I still have. This is a fine line. Move it or lose it! They've told me that since I started PT and they're right. I lost some use and was able to get some back. It's really up to you,listen to your body. But don't always give into this or your fight back might be greatly hindered. Everyday is a new battle.

11/01/2009 01:41 PM
ClaireS
ClaireS  

Ive had a few different splints since i had my cast removed, 10 mths ago. the one i have now is very flexable but supports at the same time, I have osteopenia in my wrist from not using it and take calcium suppliments and try and use it the best i can,m doing general jobs and exercises. I have no movement in my wrist at all, and have also lost use of my little and ring fingers. My hand was curled up in a fist, but can now use my index and middle fingers, although they are not very strong and i dont have a very good grip.

I was worried about tablets, as i have never taken any before, and the ones i have feel like loads. I now think the anti depressents will help. I was watching myself tday, i didnt have much sleep, and my poor husband cant do anything right, and then i feel so bad and find myself in floods of tears.

Thankyou all for your advice, it is so much appreciated xx

11/02/2009 01:32 AM
SleeplessInOhio

Claire - I, too, had a bad experience with nerve blocks. My pain was alot worse leaving the hospital than when I went in. According to the doctors, they had "nicked another group of nerves" before locating the right ones for my lower leg. So, I left with pain in my lower leg, upper leg and hip. It subsided after 3-4 days. As for the antidepressant. I take one pill each night before bed to help with my insomnia; but, it has also helped with the emotional side of living with RSD as well. Please don't let the label

"antidepressant" stop you from taking something that can help you deal with all of this. RSD affects every area of our lives and sometimes we need help with that. There is no shame in that. Sending good thoughts, prayers and gentle hugs your direction.

Vicki

11/02/2009 07:26 AM
okieladybug09
okieladybug09Posts: 969

Clair, anytime you have concerns about your meds, talk with your pharmasist!!! That is what he/ she is there for!! I am always picking their brains! lol its always better to be safe than be sorry! Plus, the peace of mind they offer is worth taking the time to ask your questions!

I have had countless blocks... None of them have worked for me.. I would get a few days relief from a few of them and be back at square one.. Like Twinkle, I keep going back out of desperation... You do what you have to do in hope that something will work. Hang in there and let us know what you find out today!!! We are all here for you!!!

Okie~Noodles

11/02/2009 12:59 PM
ClaireS
ClaireS  

Thankyou,

Iasked my doctor today about meds and she told me not to worry, everything is ok. I was pescribed Fluoxetine, never heard of this but she said it should help, got to go bk nxt wk to see how im getting on with them.

Im feeling so much better that ive got alot of my chest that has been bothering me, both to my doctor and to you all.

Thankyou so much for your advice and kind words xx

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved