MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/18/2011 08:37 PM

Nerve Blocks... how far apart?

Jen28
Jen28  

Hi, everyone. I've been reading so many different things on nerve blocks and how far apart they should be that I just don't know what's best! The RSD/CRPS is in my foot, so I'm getting lumbar sympathetic blocks, and my doc wants to do 3 of them, 2 weeks apart. We're aiming for remission, and I am about at the 6 month mark since getting this disease. Is 2 weeks apart aggressive enough? I've heard of some people getting them every day or every other day. I'd just like to be prepared to discuss w/my doc when I get the next nerve block in a few days. I don't think they're really working right now. Sad Thanks for any input you can offer!

10/19/2011 12:08 AM
Desertbreeze
Desertbreeze  

My doctor gave them to me every 2 weeks set of 3-but this dr. in particular warned me that if it didnt work the first time-going on would be a waste of time and money. (I'm also passed the remission stage so dont know if he said that because of that) If I were you in my opinion only I would document how long you get relief from the first ones and see if he wants to go on. I've had so many injections-there was a point when I felt it was all about money. I really pray this helps you and I'm really not trying to sound negative.

Hugs your way,

Dawn

10/19/2011 05:27 AM
mikedamann82
mikedamann82  

I agree with breeze. My situation is w/c related so I was worried that my pm dr. was using me as a pin cushion every other week to get a easy paycheck. After 4 or 5 nerve blockers I was started on nerve reprogramming, none worked for me. hopefully it will for you.

Mike

10/19/2011 07:28 AM
DarkPain
DarkPain  

They did about 20 sticks on me, till I ended up "septic" and almost died. I told them where to stick the procedure after 20 failed attempts.

I would not let them go more than 5-6 sticks which is more than enough to see if it will work.

Make sure that anything you do is your decision and not the coercision of a doctor who "has the right answer". Everything is subjective and our bodies respond differently to procedures.

For instance, I had a SCC unit put in with a guarentee it would work. A year later it was removed. Unknowingly after the unit was removed, my lower back stopped hurting. I could actually stand up without pain.

Just be aware that it is your body, not theirs. Know for sure what it is you want to have done. I wished I knew back then what I know now.

Post edited by: DarkPain, at: 10/19/2011 07:29 AM

10/20/2011 03:57 AM
Jen28
Jen28  

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yeah, I've notice since my doc started the nerve blocks, there is little discussion, very little concern about how they're working, no discussion about where to go from here... like he's just trying to cram as many expensive procedures into one day as possible. The nurse doing my IV said usually someone in my situation gets them every few days as a more aggressive approach to remission. From my research, it sounds like if the pain starts coming back between blocks, you have to start all over w/the remission process. As if you've GOT to keep the pain completely away for a certain period of time in order to 'reset' the nervous system, and doing the blocks 2 weeks apart isn't going to allow enough 'down time from pain signals' for that to occur. They are helping a little bit, so I will talk to him today about being more aggressive. My window for remission is rapidly closing...

10/20/2011 06:48 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Morning Jen

Generally the blocks are given in a series of 3 scheduled 1 week apart. During your blocks and beginning with the first they usually give you a diary to fill out. Your pain level before the block and every hour for 24 hours. Then you continue to fill it out day by day. They call it a pain diary but it's just a sheet of paper you should be sent home with.

This is how it worked for me each time I had them. Now a days I dont have them done for diagnostic purposes, but once to twice a year I have another for the possibility of pain relief.

I no longer need to use the diary, but I do for my own reference. I just make a text log on my computer and enter each day.

I'm not sure why you're getting them 2 weeks apart. This is knew to me.

Most everyone I know that has had them early on or upon diagnosis gets them in series of 3, 1 week apart. This is more aggressive treatment.

I haven't met any that have had them 1 or 2 days apart but that's not to say that people haven't had them this way.

Have you asked your doc what he feels the difference between 2 weeks apart and 1 week apart is?

I truly hope you get relief, I do it's just that they never last for a long period of time. My worse experience was ease for just a few hours and my best was nearly a month.

This didn't mean my pain level became a 0, just that it decreased a point or more.

Good luck, will be thinking of you,

~Twinkle

10/20/2011 01:39 PM
Jen28
Jen28  

Thanks, Twinkle. I just got the 3rd one today, but I had 6 weeks between the first two, and now 2 weeks between #2 & #3. Now he wants to just see me for an office visit in two weeks. I'm a bit frustrated! He's supposed to be one of the best in town, but this just doesn't seem like aggressive enough treatment to me at all. Not happy about that at all.

10/21/2011 06:28 AM
painnomad

hey Jen,

after my 14th block, the PM doc says 'well dave, these don't seem to be working, so lets try an SCS' i was still an elec engr at that time and i asked him the logic in trying to BLOCK the pain for a year and then switching to STIMULATE the pain. seemed rather draconian to me and he didn't have an answer, so i walked (limped) out of treatment. i agree w/other posts that sometimes all these treatments are a fat wallet recipe. however, as mentioned by many of us, we're all different and respond in kind. i recommend the journal and keep exploring any/all treatments available to you. this group has a plethora of info (explained my red dots), so ask away !!! best...dave

10/22/2011 07:26 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are welcome Jen

I wouldn't be happy either and understand your frustration. I hope you get more aggressive treatment soon for your sake.

Hugs to you,

~Twinkle

10/22/2011 07:30 AM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

I would get the nerve blocks in a series of three a week apart.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved