MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/14/2011 05:02 AM

Need A Doctor In Georgia For RSD/CRPS-1

bhm

Hi everyone. I just joined MDJunction. We live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. My husband was finally diagnosed with RSD 6 months ago. We do not know how long he has been dealing with RSD - at least 14 months, but more likely more than 2.5 years.

We have an excellent PT who is specially trained in RSD/CRPS. My husband's Pain Management doctor did make the diagnosis, but he really does not know a lot about successfully treating RSD (told us so). We need a doctor who does know how to treat RSD!

Does anyone know of a doctor in Georgia that treats RSD (knowledgeably and successfully, hopefully). It does not have to be in the Atlanta area, just Georgia.

Thanks in advance!

10/15/2011 06:55 AM
Lnbell66

Dr. Shaw at Shepherd Center is excellent. He is treating one of my clients with CRPS, and he is current on all the latest advancements in treating CRPS, e.g. Ketamine, Stellate Ganglion Bocks, etc. He is also extremely patient oriented. Best of luck with your husband's recovery.

Lloyd

(((We do no promoting of any business from members on our site. If you wish to do any advertising please contact Roy, he can help you with that..

Craig))))

Post edited by: Fletch2ya, at: 10/15/2011 12:14 PM

10/26/2011 01:38 PM
bhm

Lloyd,

Thank you for the info. I will contact Dr. Shaw at Shepherd Center. May I ask, what do you do that you have patients with CRPS-1?

Bettina

04/06/2012 08:41 PM
GApeach38

I have had RSD for 9 years and coincidentally, I see Dr. Shaw at Shepherd as well. Are there any questions I can answer for you?

10/19/2012 08:28 PM
bhm

Hi ga peach. There are so many things I don't know and don't understand, so I will get back with some more questions. We are trying to find a primary doctor in the Atlanta area who is familiar with rsd and how to treat the other complications, symptoms of rsd, such as high blood pressure, insomnia,etc. do you know of any? Dr shaw has been great with pain. Thank you.

10/19/2012 11:18 PM
snoopyemt

BHM I think you will be hard pressed to find a primary care doctor that deals with RSD anywwhere, let alone in Atlanta area. A pain management doctor should be able to treat any symptoms or complications that come along with RSD. Usually primary care physicians(PCP) want a pain management dr to manage everything related to your RSD. Good luck finding a doctor!

10/20/2012 08:25 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

I don't have a pain managemeny doc now (have been through all the local ones, all 3 of them) and I can't travel. Much of my pain is dealt with through my pain psychologist (clearly no meds since psychologists can't dispense meds.) My primary care doc I am gradually bringing up to date with videos, scientific articles...so he knows more about RSD/CRPS than the local pain docs do.

Find a good internist who is willing to learn, to form a treatment team with your pain doc(s), therapists physical, occupational as well as psychological/psychiattric and you and you will have the team you need. Just my thought.

Rev.

10/20/2012 08:49 AM
bhm

Snoopy & Rev, Thanks for your replies. The pain mgt doctors don't address BP, insomnia, etc, so we need an internist or primary type doctor to address those issues. My husband's doctor, who was willing to learn and follow known protocols moved to Alabama. His new primary went and changed dosages of meds without even telling us. Time for a new doctor! Thank you, again for your suggestions. BHM

10/20/2012 09:10 AM
Lnbell66

Bettina,

I am so sorry for the very late reply to your question - for some reason, I am just now seeing it! I am an attorney that focuses on representing people who suffer from CRPS/RSD caused by negligence such as needle stick injuries, burn cases, etc.

Best of luck to you with your treatment!

Lloyd Bell

P.S. Craig, did not mean to "promote" Shepherd Center, and I understand your concerns. I only wanted to answer a question that was asked by Bettina which hopefully will help.

10/21/2012 06:14 PM
Pannfrank

Hi Bettina, I live in Augusta, which is about two hours from Atlanta straight down I-20. I know that y'all probably don't want to drive that far for doctors appointments, but my doctor is very good. I know that she has treated other patients with RSD, prior to me, but I don't know how many. Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to refer any one to her. If you are interested, let me know. Good Luck and God Bless.

Peggy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved