MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/20/2012 04:02 PM

I need more ideas on desensitation at home therapy(page 2)

maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Hi Lucky!

Thanks! I will try anything I can and after looking at your pics for the first time, I see that you will as well. I'm with you on getting men's shoes and large sizes. The crocs that I wear most are men's, but I do have some "cuter" ones that are ladies. I'm not sure why because it's not as if they are actually going to look good!

Oh, your feet look just like mine! Some time I'll have to take and post pics of mine. I can see where the red is and wonder if those are the most painful areas for you as they are for me. You're right about the cheap flip-flops. The ones I have are from Wal-mart but are so flimsy. I'll look sometime if I can ever get there for the kind you have. I have to tell you that of course I don't want you to have this, but seeing your pics was a huge comfort to me in seeing how very similar our battle is, knowing that there is someone who really "gets it".

I read your post about weight and am jealous. We've talked about this a bit, but I'm bad about food choices and know that when I get really hungry and am in pain it's been my bad habit to just grab something I shouldn't like ice cream. I certainly can't blame Lyrica for all of my weight gain, but I use to also wake up in the morning and see empty containers of different foods... and I had sleep-eaten. I don't know if that's a medical term- lol- but it's scary and very maddening if you're hoping to watch your weight. Once I changed to gabapentin that never happened again.

Thanks, Lucky!

gail

03/20/2012 10:25 PM
cindy61
cindy61  

They have flat shoes but are flexible and soft and are made to be able to fold up and put in your purse. They originally came out for people who wear high heel shoes to work but after work to catch the train or bus they put these on and they are soft but still have some support for your foot.

I hope that helps, CindyDizzy

Post edited by: cindy61, at: 03/20/2012 10:26 PM

03/20/2012 11:12 PM
cindy61
cindy61  

I just read all of the posts and I feel over whelmed because the most sensitive part on me is the left side of my neck and left shoulder and arm. I always wear short sleeves and in the Chicago area it can get quite cold. So I wear the softest sweater I can find. Now if all the men could stop reading at this part but it is very hard for me to wear a bra. I do when I go out of course. I wear shirts that are more flowy and not tight. When they finally had me start PT the therapist told me to stop craddling my left arm. It hurts so much when I walk and my left arm just dangles there. Now it's the right arm to. When I finally get out of the house and go to Walgreens I put my left arm on the top bar of the cart and push slowly with the right. It also helps me with balancing me. As far as gloves I never wear them. If it's really cold I put my hands in my pockets and then it takes the pressure off my arms. None of this probably makes any sense to anyone but I will try to explain. Since my RSD started after surgery on discs 4,5 and 6. 2 months after surgery I heard a popping noise in my neck and have been in severe pain. When I am not laying down or reclining in my recliner my neck, shoulders and arms get in so much pain. Some days it hurts to much to eat. My fork feels like it weighs 40lbs. This weekend I went to my niece's wedding shower. By the time I got home my arms were dark purple with red spots and a few sores. So that's why I use to carry my own arm because the weight of it hanging there hurt too much. Now I finally understand what you mean about shoes. My feet are not as bad but I have to wear the next size bigger and get it in a wide. For those that have problems with your feet a foot massager where you put water in it feels really good. Then you use a gentle brush, dry them well and put lotion on them.

Sorry if this message does not make much sense. I have been in severe pain since Sunday at my nieces shower and some nasty things my mother said.Sick

CindyAngry

Post edited by: cindy61, at: 03/20/2012 11:13 PM

03/21/2012 05:57 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Dear heart, it makes perfect sense to me. Though the pain in my hands/arms has always started in my hands it goes through my shoulders. Supporting my arms especially my right arm where the RSD/CRPS began has always been a problem. But my disease also was from cervical fusion surgery (the second of 3). I too have to wear the softest of shirts, no bras, very soft gloves or mittens (I live in northern Missouri so there are times in the winter when I have to get out when gloves are required. After the spread to my feet and legs, I can only wear softest fur slippers and very soft pants or some days skirts that are so soft they don't feel like anything touches my legs. Wish I could find pants that soft. All this is with sensitivity training, often daily. So yes, I know just what you mean.

Even about family. Working on that in therapy. My counselor keeps asking me why it matters so much to me that my family doesn't understand and care. Wish it didn't matter but it does.

Rev.

03/21/2012 07:20 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Of course we care what our families think. It hurts more what they think, or rather what they don't believe or don't care about because they are the ones we most hoped would care. They are the ones we have loved and hoped would love us and help us if we needed help. It would be great if I didn't understand that pain, but I do. For me, if only my son would believe and care and help me (by calling or sending emails, nothing big). We can say that this group is our new family, and we can mean it, but I don't know that we'll ever stop wishing our "real" family would understand and care.

Cindy, thanks for the idea about the shoes. I almost got some this winter for my daughter who always wears heels to work. But, they are too tight for my RSD feet. I do appreciate the idea, though. I know your doctor didn't want you to cradle your arm but maybe a sling of some kind would help just during outtings... would it? It's weird but I can't imagine your arm pain exactly enough to help you as you can't imagine my foot pain to see what shoes would still hurt. SO frustrating, isn't it? Cindy, last night was one of my 3-4/month big trips to Walgreen's. Sometimes I can't even make it inside the store, as I just can't take the steps due to pain. But, last night I drove through the drive-through pharmacy for my meds then went around to the front to go in and grab 2 other things. We would be quite a pair if shopping together! I use the cart, also, to keep my feet from being fully on the floor. Oh well.

Rev, I don't know how you do it, but I admire that you do. I'm sad that you have family issues added to you full-body pain. It sure seems like too much but I know you will never give up.

It's too bad we don't live close to each other, 'cause we could get together for a good old-timey bra burning- lol!!!

gail

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved