MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/23/2009 12:08 PM

memory loss, foots cramps potassium or RSD?

yoderj
yoderj  

Hi! I hope everyone is ready for the holidays! I know this year I kind of feel "it is what it is, I hope everything is ready!"

I went and saw my PM doctor yesterday and was telling me about my difficulty with memory loss and severe foot cramps. He said he wondered if my potassium was too low/high so I had some blood work done. All came back fine but I guess it leaves me wondering why I am having trouble with these thisngs. He did not feel it was the nerontin because we have not touched the dose but I feel like I am loosing my mind. I keep forgetting things like taking my meds., where I put Christmas prestents (i have completely lost 2 presents for my daughterSad !) and what I am doing when I go into a room. I kind of have a confused look on my face according to my husban d. I am under a lot of stress trying to keep my job under control and maybe that is it.

I also am having trouble with severe leg cramps. My leg will completely stiffen up to the point I can't move it. This happens to my leg up to my hip as well as just my foot.

Any thoughts on either problem I am having?????Ermm

12/23/2009 01:31 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Unfortunately, you have this monster called RSD/CRPS and both short term memory loss annd cramping are part of it. I have to list what presents I bbought, for who and where I pu them. I list my groceries on the the refrigerator each day so when grocery day comes I can remember everything. Otherwise I forget milk, cereal, meat...I go into rooms and forget what I go in there for. I have RSD in both feet and lower legs. I get toe cramps, foot cramps and lower leg cramps. I also have the monster in my right hand and arm and get cramps there all the time. Stretching the offending muscles is the easiest way to get it to release and I follow that with a warm pack (not hot, NOT ICE).

Sending a gentle hug

Rev, Maryanne

12/23/2009 06:07 PM
yoderj
yoderj  

I guess it is good to hear that it is not just me but don't wish all of this craziness on others! I feel like my life is just spinning out of control!! I am struggling so hard to keep on top of my job and my duties as a mom and wife that I just feel like I am one stroke away from drowning!!!! Then throw this RSD on top and now I am loosing the battle!! I do not know how you all have delt with this for so long and I am deeply afraid when I look into my future. This is it???? I have to deal with this for the rest of my life???? What kind of mom am I???? How am I going to do this??? Thanks for the ear!

12/23/2009 06:33 PM
Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

Yoderj... i understand completely what you are saying. I am having the same feelings! I actually had to step back away from here for a while because the thought of some of the things i hear on here were quite overwhelming. I feel like i am not giving my all to my children, and on top of being in constant pain i have to worry about if i am being a good enough mother! Don't think your alone, and if you need to talk im here!

12/23/2009 10:20 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Yoderj

I too have terrible problems with memory, my short term is shot. I have to have sticky notes just to remind me of little things. A problem I'm sure most of us face is.. that we have to be able to remember we even placed a sticky or reminder in the first place.

I put them where I know I will see them. For example, I know that I will look at my computer at least once a day. I use both paper stickies and widgets. A little application on my side bar that looks just like a paper yellow sticky. If you have a cell phone and it has a calender, try that.

Even trying to help ourselves this way, it's still not an absolute that we will remember. Earlier today, I was watering my plant and I remember picking up my med, but later I looked at the family and ask them if I did. Of course no one knew. So I took 1 of 2 to be safe. Sheesh. I know the plant side tracked me at some point.

Neurontin did play a part in my memory loss, but I was on very high doses for many years. And the fact that we hurt alone is enough to cause us to be scattered because we're focusing on pain.

I too have problems with my legs cramping, tremors, jerks, etc. For years I was taking Zanaflex/Tizanadine and for over a year Klonopin/Clonazapam.

I don't take either anymore. What I am taking is Tums and a Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc supplement. I'm taking 2-4 a day. For an OTC it is doing well to help this.

I wish I could tell you that you won't have to deal with this the rest of your life, but I'm afraid I could be lying to you. I know your frustration and insecurities about being a mom. Our girls were 11 and 12 when I was injured, our son was 3. I'm now struggling with the fact that our sons current problems are a result of my own problems.

Just the fact that you speak of your children, as has Swimmom, I can tell you are good moms. You are! And on those days you can't get up, your still a good mom. It's not your fault. Doing your best is all you can do. Sometimes it will never seem to be enough and that's the hardest part. Replacing the loss with some sort of gain.

Thinking of you both,

~Twinkle

12/28/2009 03:58 PM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

We deal with this one day at a time. One day, I feel "human". The next day, I feel 100 yrs old and unable to hardly move. Over time, you will learn to adjust to these swings. Expect the unexpected and don't beat yourself up over having a bad day. Forget about trying to be a "Super Mom, Super Wife, Super anything. You are setting yourself for failure.

RSD makes drastic changes to our life. We have to accept them; not like it or give in to every ache and pain. But, the more you try to pretend you are the same person you were before, the worse you are going to feel about yourself.

Our lives are not over; they are different. Embrace yourself. Admit some days you may not accomplish as much as the "old days" No one expects you too. Inside you are still the same loving person you always were. Concentrate on that.

The "Golden Rule of RSD"....BUY STICKIES. It will be be your salvation......I couldn't survive a day without mine. All over the house.......We can't help our memory problems, but the sticky note solution is the tried and true method of overcoming this shortcoming Tongue

12/28/2009 04:17 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI..... aaaaa what was this post about?????????????? oh yeah......lol

Sorry....

THere is one med that if you can get your doctor to prescrib. for you it might help....MIGHT...

Its calle "Provigil" It was made to help people with narcolepsy, but it now being used for people like us....that have memory problems due to other reasons.....

I use it and it really helps..........

Craig

12/28/2009 05:45 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Evening Matrix

Truer words have rarely been spoken. You are so very right. Staying in the past and dwelling on what we used to do, who we used to be, how we'll never be that way again, how everything has changed will only continue to set us back and alienate ourselves from who we are now.

I agree that we should concentrate on that which is the same. I spent years bouncing from denial to acceptance and back again. The physical pain will try to ruin us, but we are capable of changing that.

Earlier on, I went through a phase of about a year wondering if everything that was going on with me was a result of CRPS. Every ache, every pain, every cramp or spasm, every cold that lingered on, just everything.

I had to let it go. It would have consumed me. As I imagine it does others.

Instead I take it one day at a time. Moment by moment. It's what I am now and I have to resist letting it take over.

If my entire body, every nook and cranny was CRPS, I still have to live and do the best job that I can because the only option there is.. is "not" an option at all.

Using our tools of survival is crucial. Our sticky notes, our canes, vitamins, friendships, whatever they may be...

We're going to hurt no matter what. Moderately, severely.

We can't lay around, remain stuck in the past, and wait for a cure that may never come. The rest of our lives could pass us by..

Wishing each of you better days and nights,

~Twinkle

01/05/2010 09:57 AM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

I was also taking Provigil. It worked better than the Ritalin they were giving me at first. My problem was that I was taking so many drugs, I couldn't stay awake....

It's certainly worth a try if you need some help.

01/05/2010 01:15 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI....glad the Provigil is helping you.... I think it is a great drug......... I am having serious problems with the Suboxone........ trying to get Nucynta approved........ I need something and fast........

Craig

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved