MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/18/2009 06:54 PM

Flare ups

yoderj
yoderj  

How long does a flare up usually last and how do you know if it is a flare up or the RSD is spreading?

09/18/2009 07:09 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI Yoder..... you have asked the question all of us have asked..... and to tell you the truth.. there is no answer to that one......

A flare can last from an hour to a week or more... I have had flares that have lasted months........ and have been as short as a day..maybe a little more.... and is it a sign that it is spreading...NO.... But as I have said to everyone here.....listen to your body and you will know if it is spreading..... NOT your doctor.... oh yes he will know after you...but you will be the first to know..... And yes RSD does spread.... once it reaches you central nerves system it can go where it pleases..... it does like to mirror ....hand to other hand.... but mirror can be hand to foot.... think in the mode of where the pain is on your foot so to speak.... and it will mirror the same type of place that it would be on your hand.....Hope you understood that........

If you have any other questions...please feel free to PM me if you like or just ask it here......

Craig

09/18/2009 07:18 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Is there a difference between the RSD 1 an2 2 in turms of flares and in terms of spreads? What I am asking is does any one know whether RSD 2 is more likely to spread and/or to flare that RSD 1?

09/18/2009 07:22 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI REV..... Like in the other post..the answer here is still the same...... no one knows....... if stage one is caught quick enough, the chances are better at stopping it....(so I am told.) the difference between one and two...... I don't think they spell spreading any more than the other...... and the same with flares.....

flares are a product of your body, stress, and all the other little things that make this such a horrible disease....

Craig

09/18/2009 07:44 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Yeah, well today sure hasn't helped either of us. and

Every affected limb is red and burning like heck. Don't think I'kll be sleeping much this pm.

09/18/2009 07:53 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI... REV... what is affected on you..if you don't mind me asking...

Craig

PS..if you preferr.....PM me...

09/19/2009 08:55 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

I went to have my first ketamine infusion and no one had told me I had to skip breakfast. So they had to reschedule the infusion for next Wednesday. My pain doctor shared more about the procedure including that he expected the results would be so that was good, but now I have to wait another 4 days. He says that with the method he uses, infusing over an hour ketamine mixed with versed in a dose below what would put me to sleep, that the pain part of the RSD will be reset to lower than 4 on the 10 point scale. Right now I am between 8-9. He has great expectations based on the 26 RSD patients he has already treated. Some patients have gone down to 1-2, no one has not been helped. Some patients have required a second or third treatment. All of this is done on an out-patient basis. The ketamine will not affect nerve damage already done, just pain levels. But i can be quite happy with my pain score below 4!! Only now I have to wait 4 more days. They did apologize for not telling me that I couldn't eat after midnight before the procedure. Sorry to go on and on about it. Just griping.

09/19/2009 09:14 AM
brattyone

Rev, I can't wait to hear how that all goes for you. I have heard from a few people that the Ketamine is the way to go. I am sending you many thoughts and prayers...Smile

09/19/2009 09:16 AM
brattyone

My flare ups have been greater recently, I do believe because of stress.. I try to keep a very positive outlook, but its really hard at times. I'm not sure if you seen the post I made about journals, however, its seems as if the moster has relocated itself to my feet up to just below the knees. the pain has been intense.. and it took about 3 days to really get thru it..

Sending you my best!!

09/19/2009 08:45 PM
yoderj
yoderj  

Thank you for all of your thoughts on this matter. There is so many things about the RSD I just don't understand yet. I think in the beginning I was just too scared to look into all of this and now I am too scared not to have the knowledge. I have another question if you will. What is the difference between RSD1 and RSD2?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved