MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2012 12:01 AM

Pain Scale......(page 2)

cindy61
cindy61  

I forgot to add that I already know RSD is rated higher in pain then giving birth, cancer or being shot by a gun. This was on TV and a news article so I am just repeating it.

Cindy

04/27/2012 12:16 AM
cindy61
cindy61  

Sorry it is me again. Fletch I like I said above do know RSD is worse then giving birth BUT when a women gives birth the pain ends and they have this beautiful baby to make you forget. Even if we call giving birth is a 10 on the pain scale, a women would gladly go through that pain again to have another baby. Just as I would go through a very painful surgery to get rid of this RSD because that pain will end. I think sometimes people say their RSD pain is a 10 because it is 24/7 with no break unless you get lucky and fall asleep but according to my husband I cry and scream in my sleep at times, so is the pain really gone or are we just not fully aware of it while we sleep and that may be why we don't get the REM sleep we need?????

I am in no way saying I know if this is correct just putting it out there as a thought.

Cindy

04/27/2012 04:32 AM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI.... aaa I had a friend, and that her husband dumped her before the baby was born, so I went in with her, and the baby weighted 14lbs 3oz.....NO kidding... she gave it naturally..... They did do the little cutty thing...can't remember the name of it.... to help out..... But I was there for her, she was a friend..... I was in the bithing room.... So I did see what giving birth to a child of size can be like.... BUT she did not have any pain meds none...... She got through it fine.... YES I know it hurt, and if it were up to men, there would be no children born I am sure..... BUT I still do not feel that child birth is a 10.... 9.5 maybe...... Believe me.... I know I don't want to go through something like that...... BUT I have been at a 10, probably three times in my life.....

All were during an injury except one.. and that was RSD, And I was on my way to the hospital.... and taking so many meds, I did not care if I over dosed..... the pain was so bad, I wanted to end it all.......

Craig

04/27/2012 02:50 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

I've always kept the "10" as a pain so unimaginable such as being burned all over, but of course that pain would end shortly in death. There have been three times with RSD that the pain was what I would call a 9+, but never a 10 yet, because something still could have made it worse.

I had an epidural with my second child which was pretty easy, but the first baby was extremely painful, and still I would say 9+ not a 10. He was only 7 lbs. 15 oz., though. It does go to our perception, too. And, our state of mind, which can make the same thing "feel" more painful or less painful. And even more, what Cindy said about time is so important. We can take a shot that might be a painful sort of shot, with little distress, because it only lasts a second. But, if that same amount of pain went on indefinately, it would be so much worse. Which is the hell of RSD as we all know.

Craig, your friend should get some kind of metal! Also, that pain you had when you didn't care if you overdosed, I had one night and I was here alone about two years ago. I actually took an extra morphine which I never had done, and didn't care if I died. It didn't even make me sleepy! I made peace with God before I took it because I didn't know what it would do but I couldn't take that level of pain another second as it was. I knew calling our 9-1-1 would only get me to our stupid hospital where they wouldn't do anything for me, so it was up to me to figure it out. I don't condone doing this and know that it could kill someone who is opiod naive, but it helped me that night since I had been taking the meds for several years.

So, I'm hoping to never be able to say I've experienced a true 10, since so far it always could have been worse. But not much worse a few times.

04/27/2012 02:51 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Craig,

The "cutty" thing is an episiotomy. Fun memories!

04/27/2012 03:34 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI... you know actually I did remember that later..... just thought everyone knew what I meant.....lol.... But I do want to thank you for posting it....

Craig

04/27/2012 05:29 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Craig,

I'm impressed! Just watching a baby that big being born, I'm sure I would pass out! LOL

gail

04/27/2012 08:16 PM
cfthb
cfthb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Like Craig, having never gone thru childbirth, I can't speak from first hand experience, but someone said that maybe it was easier because you knew, in CB, that it would end, which isn't true if you thought it would go 24/7, unless you were lucky and went to sleep.

I know pain is hard to quantify, but in my 16 years I've had maybe 4-6 10/10 episodes, and lemme tell you, it's nothing you fall asleep from. In fact, I lost all perception of any kind - sight, feel smell, hearing - everything. I just want it to end, period, and would have done ANYTHING to make it happen.

I've heard people say that, in a 10/10, they'd shoot a total stranger to make it stop. As the Nazis said, there are no heroes in the face of all-encompassing pain. The pain is so all-encompassing, so total, that I don't believe our bodies can take more than a few minutes without going into a stress-caused MI (heart attack).

My own long experience with myself and others is that if you have to wonder if you have experienced 10/10, you almost definitely have not. My opinion.

Howard

04/27/2012 08:50 PM
cindy61
cindy61  

I agree Howard. The times my pain was a 10 I told my husband thank God we don't own a gun! I am a Christian and do not believe in suicide but I think at that time I would of used it if I did not get help from the ER. I was screaming, crying and out of my mind with pain. When I had my 4 kids I had fast deliveries and only at the very end could I say the pain came anywhere near a 10 but I knew in just a few minutes it would end. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Cindy

04/27/2012 09:08 PM
cindy61
cindy61  

By the way the time I went to the ER with a pain level of a 10 they gave me 8mg. of dilaudid and something else for nausea and toradol by IV. I was still awake and crying so they called in the head doctor of the hopital and he was so worried. He told me he could not believe I was awake and breathing let alone still in pain. He said that was enough medicine to knock out an elephant.(his words not mine) He wanted to keep me in the hospital over night but my HMO would not let me. I never saw a doctor so worried. Just so you know I believe dilaudid is twice as strong as moaphine. Howard would probably know.

Cindy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved