MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/29/2012 03:37 PM

SCS(page 2)

Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

It is quite strange! I feel like every time I move my head I get zapped. I can move a leg and change the intensity, or an arm... When I sneeze, I get zapped! I am hoping the next day is an adjustment period, and I will get use to it. I dont know what I was expecting, but I dont think I was thinking it was going to be so intense!

03/29/2012 03:51 PM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

Hi Swimmom,didn't they show you how to adjust the stimulation I would get in touch with the Rep that assisted with the SCS and have them readjust it you should not be feeling like you are getting zapped.I would also call the Doctor and explain the situation to him.

Mike

03/29/2012 04:02 PM
cfthb
cfthb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Swimmom!

I'm glad the surgery is over, but those "zaps" you describe don't sound at all right. You have a power unit where you can adjust intensity, frequency, etc., as well as turn the power on & off, right? If you can't turn down the intensity, there's something wrong with the unit, and I'd call your PMP. I don't remember anything like you describe when mine was installed.

I've never heard of something like a sneeze setting off an SCS unit, and I'm having a hard time visualizing how something like that could happen. Whatever's causing it, it sure can't be good.

Can you tell if you're getting any pain relief, or is the zapping too much interference? Unless you're getting significant pain relief, I'd personally not turn the thing on again until your PMP and the service tech. can see it. I really don't like stray electricity inside my body!

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Howard

03/29/2012 04:38 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Thinking of you, Swimmom!!!

hugs,

gail

03/29/2012 05:13 PM
cindy61
cindy61  

I got zapped when I would move my neck but the wires were put in my neck. Since it's not the perminant one it will move a little more. Where did they put the wires in your lower back, midback or neck? That would make the difference. Since mine were in the neck I would just dial it down or change the type of vibration.

Hope this helps?

Cindy

03/29/2012 07:12 PM
Chrissy33rsd
Chrissy33rsd  

We are all here for you! Talk to your dr about the zapping thing and give it some time. Remember we have to do something or our quality of life makes a steep decline in five years. At least from what i have read. My procedure went well too and i am a little uncomfortable but i hope it will stop the spread. Keep your chin up.

Chrissy

04/01/2012 02:04 PM
Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

The wires are right below my neck. It is deffinately getting better, and the zapping is less. When I turned the intensity down, it pretty much didnt do anything. At this point, its strong, but not a bad feeling. Its so strange to control the vibration by turning my head. When I turn my head down and to the right, the vibration goes down my right arm. Same to the left. I can deffinately feel some pain relief!! The only problem is, most of my pain is in the top of my shoulder, and the vibration is tough to get up that far. It does go up there, but its mostly from my bicept down! Thank you all for your help and support. This has been a very challenging time for me, and still is. This is not an easy decision. The fact that my husband is grossed out by it makes it all that much harder!

04/01/2012 02:12 PM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

I would still let your Doctor know about the zapping maybe they can reprogram the SCS for you.I forgot is this just the trial or the permanent one.If it is the trial the wires do have a tendency to move a little that could be what is causing the zapping.

Mike

04/01/2012 07:43 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Swimmom,

I'm so glad for the pain relief you've had! It sounds like a mixed bad but still positive. I'm a little mad at your husband right now (sorry) but think he'll get use to it soon. Probably seeing you feel better will help change his response. About 30 years ago I had a melanoma skin cancer and had to have a skin graft put onto my wrist. When my husband (now ex) and I saw it, I thought he was going to faint or puke. It was really weird looking, like a shark had taken a bite out of my wrist. He was weird about it, too, and I know that he was grossed out by it. That feels terrible, I know! But, with any surgery, in a few months things look SO MUCH better. Skin heals and scars blend in and it will be so much better. He'll get over it. Try not to worry, because I'm sure he will. My wrist still looks sort of funny and weird, but if I even notice it I think of it as a blessing that I got rid of cancer. When you see your scars and little bump, try to remember what a blessing it can be to give you back some of your life! That's my hope for you.

Let us know how it goes with the zaps and things. Did you ever talk to your doctor? I'm glad it's helping.

gail

04/01/2012 07:56 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Swimmom

I'll continue to pray that your SCS works for you. Mine being a lower extremity SCS there are times I get "goosed" especially when I bow or bend my spine.

I just hope yours gives you the pain relief you so very much deserve.

Hugs,

~Twinkle

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved