MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/16/2012 01:05 AM

Does anyone else get numbness in feet or hands(page 2)

maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

I don't get any itching, but hate it when the burning is extremely high as it is tonight and it feels like my feet are being burned from the inside out. Someone asked me if it was like sunburn and I said that it wasn't, but it feels like an iron inside my feet burning the inside rather than outside of my skin. Right now tonight I am so miserable.

gail

03/16/2012 06:57 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Yes and scratching never really helps. I use a benedryl pill 25-50mg and then a combination of benadryl cream and nupercainal cream (2 separate creams). But first I have to isolate the itch, that or treat a whole arm/hand or foot/leg. Until the itch fades it drives me mad!

Rev.

03/16/2012 07:07 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Gail, when the burning gets super bad and the Lyrica isn't helping I do have one secret: I have a bedbath container I have filled with fine sand and I bury my feet in the sand. I originally set it up to do the skin sensitivity treatments but found that the soft sand stays cool. So when I can't stand the burn anymore, I use the cool sand to draw the heat down. The sand actually gets hot and my feet cool down. Sometimes all I need to do is just the bottoms of my feet; sometimes all the foot/feet.

Sending hugs and prayers that the burn will cool and sleep will be refreshing.

Rev.

03/16/2012 05:49 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Rev,

Thank you SO much for a practical tip!!! Tonight my feet are still burning so bad I can hardly take it. And, I need groceries and have no idea how I'm going to get them. Where is an easy place to buy sand? I don't have any. Would anything else work? Rev, have you ever tried Epsom Salts and did it help any if you did? Also, since I can't bear the weight of a sock even, can I bear having my feet in sand? I'm going to get some and try. I'll try almost anything at this point. Thanks again for the tip. If you have others, please share! Sometimes I run a washcloth through cool water and rub my feet with it. But not ice-cold, I've learned better than that. Any prayers would really be appreciated, too. It's getting to where I feel like I'm at the end of a rope that is in bad shape. Thanks.

gail

03/16/2012 06:30 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Gail, this is messy but...Put flour or baking powder or corn stach (all very fine so will not chafe at all) in the refrigerator for half an hour to an hour. Put it in the container. start just with soles of feet and toes. genly with your hands or a sifter cover your feet. Use the damp wash cloth to gently ease the soft dry stuff off your feet or use a fan on your porch to blow it off if you can stand it.

Rev

03/16/2012 11:12 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Rev,

Thanks so much for another tip! I really do appreciate it. I do have some of those things so will try it. Thanks again!

gail

03/17/2012 10:44 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Luckyduck

I get a very similar sensation. It drives me nuts because I can't get to it. Can't scratch it, Oh I try, but I just can't get it. I put the Lidoderme Patches on, but they barely penetrate beneath the surface.

Warmest wishes to you,

~Twinkle

03/17/2012 11:07 AM
cfthb
cfthb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Twinkle (and other itchers) -

When I was having the horrible itching I used a cream called EMLA(tm), which stands for "Eutectic Mixture of Local Anesthetics". Makes sense, because it's a 50:50 mixture of prilocaine and lidocaine (if you really want to know what "eutectic" means, please PM me).

For several reasons, the mixture of the two agents penetrates the skin more easily, comes on faster, and has a longer duration of action than either of two constituent agents individually. Like any medication, it works great for many, and not as well with others.

But, if itching is ruining your waking time and sometimes feels like it's challenging your sanity, I really suggest discussing EMLA with your PMP or even your PCP. It's not like it's controlled or anything. Wink

Howard

Post edited by: cfthb, at: 03/17/2012 11:08 AM

03/17/2012 11:55 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thank you Howard!

Just thinking of being able to have a cream to rub in with Prilocaine and Lidocaine made me go oooh ahhhh. So am for sure going to ask about it.

I really appreciate you recommending it.

Thanks again,

~Twinkle

03/17/2012 01:48 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Howard, thanks for the itching tip. I will check the cream out to see if I can take it. There are times when the itching is so painful it is very near a 9-10 range. The itch does not respond well to my mind-body pain techniques. So it can be more painful than the burning/electric/bone pain. So if this takes it down a few levels, think what a blessing that will be. Thank you, friend.

Rev.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved