MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2009 04:37 AM

Why is it so hard to admit we are depressed?

skittle0407

I joined the depression group a few days ago with the encouragement of a close friend who belongs. I did it for all the wrong reasons. She wanted me to admit I was depressed so that I could get the help I needed and hopefully change the destructive behavior patterns. I joined for her.......after much hesitation I admit. But, after another heart to heart with my friend I realized I am just afraid, unwilling to change, and consumed with so much guilt and grief,that making rational choices will never be an option for me until I deal with the depression first......it is driving every aspect of my life. So, I am admitting right now to all of you I am depressed and hope that this first baby step is going to carry me through this new path I am on. Unsure

01/20/2009 11:10 AM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

Hi Skittle I read your story about being depressed its nothing to be ashamed about I also went thru it.I just pulled away from family and friends did not want to be bothered with anything I even told my wife to leave me.Finally my Pain Management Doctor hooked me up with a Psychologist what a great help,we met for 1hour a week to talk about what was bothering me He would help me thru my problems I would listen to relaxation tapes which I still do till today.Sometimes being around people with depression can bring you down I belong to a RSD/CRPS support group in Buffalo which is also very helpful.Please try and get some help and you will be able to beat the depression I did. I am sending you a great BIG HUG good luck and keep me posted.Mike1024

01/20/2009 11:55 AM
skittle0407

Thanks Mike for sharing with me it means a lot to know you are not alone. I too have done things I am not proud of and know a change has to be made to find my happiness again. A great big hug back to you for being so strong and beating the depression.

01/20/2009 11:59 AM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

Thanks for the hug and I have all the faith in you to beat this.Mike1024

01/20/2009 12:57 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Skittle, I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling low. We have all been there and I'm glad that you are confronting your feelings instead of denying them. When I found out that I had a medical condition called RP, I went through a long period of depression. RP is a vision disorder that leads to blindness. It's very hard to hear that one day you will be blind. I hope that you get the help that you need and I am here for you.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved