MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/10/2011 05:35 PM

How do I cope with RSD in my fingers

3fingers
3fingers  

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and am hoping to get support from people who are understanding of what it is like to have RSD, especially in your fingers. I went for a total shoulder replacement in May and now I have RSD in the fingers. I never expected anything to happen to my hand since my shoulder was operated on. I have gone for p/t; pain management, and next week a nerve block. I wake up in the morning and hope it was just a horrible nightmare, instead, I am living through this nightmare. I am taking pain meds like Lyrica, Percocet, and supplements for anti-inflammatory. How does one deal with this situation?

All I do is read about RSD and find out this is not an easy deal people like me have been dealt. Anyone have any advice?

Sad

11/10/2011 11:05 PM
luckyduck

Hi 3fingers, Welcome to the group.

Since your doc has diagnosed you early, your best hope of remission from what I've read is getting the blocks. If you have a reaction to one they can change the medication they use. Don't put ice on it.

Are you having the burning pain in all of your fingers or just a couple of your fingers? I noticed you named yourself 3 fingers so that's why I am wondering. Hope the blocks and physical therapy work to get it into remission for you. It is a very hard thing to adjust to feeling 24/7. hugs, Lucky

11/11/2011 12:56 AM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Hi- Yes, get the blocks! That is what I also understand to be the best chance of a remission when treated early. Get one every week if they continue to help you, especially if the help gets better and lasts longer each time you get one. Your doctor will know. I hope for the best for you! Most of us are way past that point and just daily living with this big change to our lives. If you don't get into remission, keep coming back here and there are people who will support you. All the best to you as you try to get better!

gail

11/11/2011 02:43 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi 3fingers

Welcome to our family oriented Group! Happy to have you here with us.

Please make yourself at home among us. Smile

Warmest wishes,

~Twinkle

11/13/2011 07:07 AM
Jen28
Jen28  

Hi, 3fingers! I'm pretty new here, too, but I'm so thankful that I found this group. I'm sorry you've developed this disease from a surgery that was supposed to take away your pain and improve your quality of life. Same thing happened to me with my foot surgery 6 months ago, so I'm still in the fairly early stages, too, but my chances for remission are dwindling away every day. So far, the nerve blocks have helped tone done the burning and maybe prevented spreading. As soon as I started taking neurontin (gabapentin), the burning was toned down a whole lot! Read as much as you can about this disorder, and make sure your docs understand that they need to be aggressive in these first few months in order to help you get into remission. Don't give up yet! Working hard to fight the RSD now can keep it from getting worse and from spreading even if you don't get complete remission. That's where I'm at... we've toned the RSD down quite a bit, and that may be what I'm stuck with forever - but it could be much worse. Best of luck to you, and I'm glad you found this site. The people here are probably the most knowledgeable bunch you will find re: this disease. Have a blessed day.

11/13/2011 01:50 PM
3fingers
3fingers  

Thank you all for your support. I see I found the right place to be for my condition and I have found many people who have been supportive. I feel like I have a great group of people who I can relate to without feeling like I have nowhere to express my feelings; or get information from people who are or have experienced what I am going through. So many knowledgeable people here and I am happy I found this site.

Stephanie

11/13/2011 11:19 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Stephanie,

We're glad you're here and I encourage you to keep coming back and to get to know some people. It really IS nice to have others who understand and who you can ask about different things. Glad you found the group!

gail

11/14/2011 09:50 AM
3fingers
3fingers  

Hi all - Just knowing that I have your support is so helpful. I am hoping the nerve block I have this Thursday gives me some relief. My 3 fingers on my left hand are bvurning and so swollen that I can hardly bend them. I feel so angry that I went i for surgery on my shoulder and now the result is a hand that hand nothing to do with my shoulder.

I think only people who are going through the same problem with RSD are the only people who understand how I feel. My partner says he does, but I don't feel he really knows what it is like. When I hear there are different degrees of pain, it bothers me as this is not just pain, it is feels like a life sentence that I have to deal with and hopefully the discomfort will get better. It is not easy when your mind says one thing and you feel you have the ability to do things, and you try and then realize that you are not able to do what you did before. I just wast to say, THIS IS THE BEST GROUP OF OF PEOPLE I HAVE FOUND THAT REALLY UNDERSTAND THE REAL PROBLEMS I AM FACING; AND YOU ARE ALL SO SUPPORTIVE AND UNDERSTANDING.

HUGS TO YOU ALLSmile

11/14/2011 11:43 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

You know, by just months after I developed RSD/CRPS it was so hard for me to imagine not having the pains (because you are right; it is not just one kind but formerly unimaginable types of pains). So it was by that time hard to think that my family and friends had no ways to understand my pain, even if they had had children (the pains ended with a child, a blessing), or a broken bone (set, cast the break and the pain has already eased); even a burn because most folks have not had the kinds of burns that put them in the hospital for months of agonizing treatments and surgeries. So what do they have to compare with the pain you feel. We know, which is why this group nurtures us all.

I am so sad that so far you have not had much pain relief. I do understand. My fingers rarely swell anymore, 12 years later but they also don't straighten any more and my hand and arm have little strength. Keep straightening your hand and making a fist, even if it is so swollen it doesn't want to move. Keep your wrist moving too. We have a saying here, 'use it or lose it'. If, because of swelling and/or pain you keep it still and pamper it too much, you can lose strength and range of motion and the longer you don't use it, the longer it will take to recover motion and power in it if it can be recovered at all. I used my right hand for 8 years after the RSD/CRPS began until the muscles would no longer move because despite my exercises. The nerves no longer fed impulses to them. The longer you keep exercising your hand, wrist, arm the longer you will have use of them. This is one disease where we have to work despite pain, not stop when it starts hurting. But if it hurts desperately, wait until the pain is a bit less to work it. No one here would ever suggest exercising through extreme pain, just don't stop because it hurt you. Heck, we would never move if we stopped when we hurt (~;

Sending hugs and prayers that the swelling will ease, the pain will be less and you have better rest.

Rev

11/27/2011 08:09 AM
Mrsmike
MrsmikePosts: 153

Hi 3fingers,

Welcome to the group. I too have RSD in my hand/fingers, actually my entire right arm has RSD. It started in my elbow, traveled down to my hand and after my shoulder surgery it traveled up and now into my shoulder as well.

Do you fingers get iced cold? Mine do and they swell to the point that the skin is very shiny and turn a lovely red or purple color. I have found that if I can get them to warm a bit it takes some of the pain away, not all of it but enough to function. Another thing I do, if you can gently massage the fingers. I don't know if this promotes more circulation but I do get relief from that. Especially if I am getting shooting electrical like pains (what I call my lightening bolt fingers) that shooting along and seem to shoot out of the fingertips. Another thing is, take a ball that you can squeeze (even a nerf ball works). Fill a basin/sink with hot water (or as hot as you can stand without burning yourself) Immerse your hand and squeeze the ball underwater. Do this for 5/10 min. 1-2 times daily. I even use this exercise to get some warmth in my hand, 2 for 1 deal.

These are just some of the things I do and are not meant to replace your doctors orders.

Hugs, Mrsmike

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved