MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/03/2011 02:40 PM

Ketamine Infusion

scott81112

What should I expect during a ketamine infusion? I never had one before. Do you feel relief after the first infusion or after multiple infusions? How do you feel during and after the infusion(s)? How long does the relief last? Did you suffer from any side effects and if so, what? Thank you

Post edited by: scott81112, at: 08/03/2011 02:41 PM

08/10/2011 01:46 AM
JCG29

Hi. I am looking into ketamine so have been researching a lot and emailing people who have done it. From what I read first off that it is important to do ketamine with a doctor who has knowledge of RSD. The amount given and how is key in this.

There is a group on FB for this and also even you tube videos of people actually having it done.

Some I have spoken to say they felt benefit right away and some said they started to feel even better as weeks passed. Then there is boosters that are needed as well. The feeling you have is like being sedated just so you can respond to the doctor. Some people are nausous or feel weak after.

08/12/2011 05:15 AM
betsykk

My daughter has had many ketamine infusions. The first were not were not very effective. I bought Barby Ingle's book ReMission Possible and contacted her. The one thing we were doing different from what she recommended was to go off ALL pain meds. That made a tremendous difference and she was pain free after day 2. She also recommends making sure you get at least 200mg for at least 2 days straight. Keep all stimulation off....no tv, cell phone, etc. Bring some headphones and dark glasses to remove most noise and light and ask them to keep the blinds drawn and not interupt. Stay calm and relaxed and think positive...this DOES work! If you have anxiety, ask for versed in your infusion.

Liz

08/15/2011 07:42 AM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Barby is an excellent source for information on Ketamine. Ketamine changed her life.

Glad you learned from her, Liz.

Warm wishes,

~Twinkle

08/16/2011 12:09 PM
fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

How advanced does ones rsd have too be to get a ketamine infusion?do you have to be totally at your wits end with major dysfunction or can you be in the early stages i wonder?

08/16/2011 11:11 PM
Reddawn

You can't start it soon enough.

The sooner you start it, the better. If you've been diagnosed and are interested in Ketamine ( which I personally cannot recommend highly enough), you should speak with your doctor and see what they think. The earlier ketamine is started, the sooner it stops potentially spreading through your body and getting worse and the less damage that is done. There has also been research that indicates that ketamine works far better on people who are treated as soon as possible after their injury. The more time that goes by, the the more difficult it is to treat.

If you have questions on the process, just ask. There are many of us here who have been throughout it and still get ketamine treatments such as myself and would be happy to help.

Take care,

Dawn

08/17/2011 07:08 AM
sipeszoo6

My 13 yo daughter has RSD, newly dx in March 2011, in both of her legs she has been in 2 ketamine treatments, 1 of which involved ventilator support, which was wonderful while she was on the med, but 4 days after coming home her symptoms returned. The second infusion was a lower dose, where she was conscious and PAIN FREE, again while the med was infusing. She was weaned off the IV and started on the oral form of Ketamine, which needs to be reconstituted at a compound pharmacy. While she was on the oral Ketamine she was in "tolerable" pain and resumed her activities of competitive cheer, gymnastics and hanging out with friends. The neuro MD decided it was time to wean down off the ketamine and did a 5 day course of IVIG. She is in worse pain than ever before. She has not been able to attend school (it has been 9 months) . We HAD her off all narcs, which I have had to start up again, along with 10-15 mg of ativan a day, soma and nortriptyline she is a zombie!!! I am not a big fan of the IVIG........but the KETAMINE is the way to go. We are new to this and feel so lost. EVERYTHING that was our norm is no longer. My heart breaks for her......

10/12/2011 03:22 PM
betsykk

we are going to see dr s after a TWO year wait!! when i made the appt, ketamine was experimental. since then my daughter has had at least 20 infusions if not more. i am going up to philadelphia to talk to him and get the verdict on how much is 'too much' ketamine and how often should you have them. i think my daughters doctor will listen better when it comes from him, rather than me quoting his studies!

10/14/2011 05:15 AM
bhm

Hi. I've just joined MDJunction because my husband has been diagnosed with RSD. Briefly, he has been dealing with this for at least 14 months, and, more likely, more than 2.5 years. He was given a Ketamine/Lidocain ointment before the diagnosis. What is a Ketamine infusion? This is the first I have heard of such a thing. I see that there are Ketamine Infusion discussions; I will read through them, but a direct answer to get me started would be helpful. Thank you.

10/14/2011 06:35 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Ketamine infusions are given through IV and can be done inpatient or more infusions at a smaller rate out-patient. You would need to find a pain doc who was very experienced at giving them (a rare doc) because there are side effects and it is important that other meds you are taking be adjusted and that the proper concentration of ketamine be used. I will let others who have had a good experience with ketamine infusions speak further. My pain doc tried ketamine infusions that were not strong enough and did not change my other meds and the ketamine infusions I got had no lasting results. That is why I would say hold out for a pain doc who has lots of experience and has had much success with it.

Welcome to the group. Sending Hugs and and prayers that your pain would be less and your rest be satisfying.

Rev

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved