MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/29/2008 05:42 PM

muscel spasms when trying to sleep

broken
broken  
VIP Member

I dont know if its because I start trying to relax or what but I have spasms through out my body when I try and go to sleep I even have them in my stomach I have tremmors exspecially in the am but the spasms are diffrent and hard to exsplain exsept they agravate me,I have the "jumps" but these are more sever twitches,I have them all over the stomach ones are just weird to me anyone else have these

12/30/2008 11:25 PM
Fathom
FathomPosts: 39

I mostly just have single spasm leg jerks. Spaced like 10 minutes apart, only some days, usually when laying down or relaxing.

I have flares when I try to sleep normally (maybe caused by kick spasm under the sheets?). It doesn't happen if I am really really tired so I sleep once every other night. Result: I get the same number of hours of sleep but without the flares. But what you describe sounds different.

I have seen rare tremors and continuous twitching with RSD (on YouTube) but if from RSD, or side effects of medications I don't know.

You probably know all the following but since no one else has responded, maybe a repeat of the obvious may help.

I would call my pharmacist first to see if medications could be the cause. Just for example; two RSD meds I have used off label for pain/sleep can cause "tardive dyskinesia" but that presents different than what you describe.

I only average three to four hours of sleep a night so I know that fatigue can cause really odd muscle twitches, tremors, spasms but for me they are usually localized.

The simple stress of living with any painful chronic ailment compounded with daily concerns and pressures can cause odd biological symptoms, even rashes (oh no! it's that "it's all in your head" line!!!) but it happens. But thinking this way all the time has caused some to get delayed diagnosis and treatment for something more serious. If persistent or regular I would check with my doctor before even considering this possibility.

So check with your pharmacist and doctor... with any dramatic physical changes. Chronic pain medications can mask early symptoms of other ailments.

If this happens intermittently but regularly you might get video of it if possible, so doctors can see how it presents (and mention frequency, duration and locations). But that's me, as an engineer I tend to document. I have emailed my doctors office twice. Once I got a quick appointment when I emailed a photo of what appeared to be a new RSD symptom. The other time I sent a photo when I sliced off a 1/4" of my finger and got a reply with treatment instructions and saved myself a trip.

I wish I had something specific to tell you that may help. With RSD sleep can be difficult enough without spasms, tremors and twitches.

Scott

ps.

I wish I had the skill to write short concise posts...

Post edited by: Fathom, at: 12/30/2008 23:38

12/30/2008 11:28 PM
skittle0407

I am not sure if what you are explaining is what I have felt or not, but mine were caused from a pain medication I was on, sometimes they can cause wierd reactions in our system as they enter or wear off. Hope this helps!!!

12/31/2008 06:43 AM
nikibeth
nikibethPosts: 19

I also have those "leg jumps" but only when Im falling asleep or relaxed. I never really related it to RSD before. Thanks for the info!!

12/31/2008 07:15 AM
skittle0407

RSD sends nerve pain signals and when they hit it is like an electrical shock. This is why we RSDers do not sleep well, among other reasons. My husband can feel them travel up my leg and then when it reaches the brain I jerk! Hoping you had a better nights rest then I did!

12/31/2008 12:29 PM
broken
broken  
VIP Member

thank you everyone and scott I dont mind long post,

we had a friend who had sever body jerks couldn't walk or even lie down they were so violent shook him right off of furniture so sad,his were 24/7 so Im luckey they only seem to be when I try to relax now I have had tremors that I call happy feet where my legs jump around no control but that is on rare occations,and in the am i get the body tremors I relate to a new born baby waking kind of shakes ( I try and exsplain things using others, sorry)I have a doc appointment on the 5th I hope to get some help I just wish one day my body can relax I do all my breathing exersices just doesn't seem to help

02/01/2009 12:45 PM
JacqueJeffries

Hi everyone,

I fell asleep last night around 12:30 after taking an Anbien CR 12.5mg. I was sitting in my easy chair watching TV. I had a blanket on and one of my dogs were lying on the blanket. Before ya no it, I was asleep with my dog at my feet sleeping. Next thing I know it was 6:3O a.m. I can't believe that I slept that long sitting straight up in my chair. When I went to stand up, my legs gave out on me and I fell over. My legs and ankles were all swollen and painful. I had to hobble over to take my medicines. Then next I tried to make the two dogs go up stairs with me to go to bed. I could hardly walk up the stairs. When I hobbled into bed my legs started having the worst tremors. Both of my hands also started. It is 3:30 in the afternoon and my legs are still swollen and I am still having tremors in my legs and both hands. I also am in a lot of pain. Is this a common side effect of RSD? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jacque Jeffries

02/01/2009 03:07 PM
skittle0407

Jacque,

Did you fall asleep with your legs down? That could certainly add to swelling. RSD definitley in the first stage and in the begining can cause severe swelling, and some experience that throughout. A sleeping pill can have very disorienting side effects and can make it difficult for you to move the way you normally would......have you used ambien CR much before? As far as tremors they can be caused by medications as well as RSD. Asking your Dr. is the best way to get accurate answers for you. Wishing you a better night!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved