MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2011 03:33 PM

skin problems and rsd Help! need insight

fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

has anyone had skin issues and is there something to put on it? i had a "lesion" on my elbow in Jan that was gross and oozy and it healed up but is still a weird color and now my elbow in the discolored area is peeling like a sunburn would. its dry peeling, not oozy or wet.

anyone have any insight as money is tight and there is none to spare to go from doctor to doctor and i dont have a doc who handles rsd on a regular basis. Help?

04/21/2011 04:27 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

Fishgirl, I understand about not being able to go from doctor to doctor, but I think most of us would not try to diagnose you because we are not doctors. RSD/CRPS can cause some sores that are slow healing but so can many other problems. If it is an RSD caused sore, your pain management doc should be able to help. I know you said it was healed except for the color of te what, scar? That is the problem we all have. We can talk about our experiences but cannot know what your new symptom is. Usually RSD/CRPS sores do not present until much more skin, muscle and vein and artery breakdown has happened and usually many years have passed. So my suggestion is ask your doc.

Rev

04/21/2011 05:04 PM
fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

I agree rev,i'm not looking for a diagnosis , just people who may have had similar symptoms so maybe i can go back to the docs that dont know much about rsd but want to help with some ideas. it would just be a starting point. ya gotta ask to learn. i went to a dermatologist from Johns Hopkins and he knew nothing about rsd and wanted me follow up with my care to help him learn since it was new to him.Education is def the key!

04/21/2011 05:16 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI..... Fishgirl, I have some what the same thing.... If I get even a scratch on my affected arm, it turns into this wound that will not heal.... some of them take up to 8 months to heal... and they are nasty... they ooz, and are wheeping.... I have gone to many doctors and tried about everything... and nothing works.... They wanted me to go to one of those hyperbaric chambers, but I just could not afford it....

So right now to be honest....I just live with it.... ...OH..if I put anything on it, anything... it just makes it worse....

And yes after it does heal... it still stays a funny color for quite a while, and the skin on it peels, for a long time.. and if I do stratch it or peel off the skin, it just starts it all over again.........

I know I have not helped, but just wanted you to know you are not alone with this symptom.....And yes all my doctors said this is a symptom of my RSD....

Craig

04/21/2011 10:06 PM
xXdevilsXgraffittiXx
xXdevilsXgraffittiXx  

on your guys rsd..does it seem like its freezing on the limb sometimes you wanna use heating pad and payed for it if i fell asleep..pain woud be twice as bad ...then most time it feels like its on fire id break out the ice pack...and get alot of relief...only when it was hot to the touch when ice woud work......or is that a sighn of rhabdo, havent heard to much about rhabdo i went to the forum and nobody was there...i remember back when i first got this in april of last year for about 5 months after my coma my left leg was tripple in size and was so unbearable....i lived on my elbos and knees on the couch ..not sleeping..a lil breeze woud make me tear up...i coudnt move the foot upward..took me 5 months to get meds..i almost coudnt live with it...i hung in there....all three things rsd , dropfoot,and rhabdo all in the same spot trying to wear a lebrace for leg and foot ontop of all that...but what was crazy is that it all happened with in 4 days ....seems overnite..now the injered leg is only half the size that it shoud be..i can put my hand around my ankle easily...does this sound close to the same??just wondering....ill be on for a few...for those crashn....i hope for you all to have a pain free nite and hope to see you all tomorrow

04/22/2011 09:56 PM
A3k
A3kPosts: 74

x

There are times certain fingers on both hands they will be so cold they actually are numb, but othere fingers are warm. Have you ever seen the hand warmers hunters use? They are activated when you open the package by the air, and last 7-8 hours. That way I can switch where I use it and I'm not tied to the heating pad. Don't leave them in your car for too much time, or I have found they wont work.

annaCool

04/22/2011 11:22 PM
xXdevilsXgraffittiXx
xXdevilsXgraffittiXx  

lately it seems like im starting to get rsd sensations in my upper back and in both my hands....every night its been gettn real itchy and sometimes i got to get in the air conditioning and just let it go on my back and in my hands theve ben bothering me to....hot..and the lack of holding onto things such as cups...cigs...my girls mad about burn holes....just dont no ive burned everything up till its to late

04/23/2011 10:27 AM
Kippensven
Kippensven  

x

I'm terribly sorry to hear of all the problems you have with rsd,drop foot, and rhabdo.

In my personal experience with RSD (in my right foot and leg) I've only put ice on it a a few times which hurt extremely bad, almost to the point of tears(and I'm a big guy 6'3 260lbs). That was before I was diagnosed with RSD and every doctor and their nurse told me "RICE!!!" So me personally I never get the urge to use ice because I know how much its going to hurt. Just be honest I personally can never use a heating pad on my foot or leg because just the touch of the heating pad is extremely painful on me. I know this probably doesn't help much and I'm sorry(I'm new to the forum). I have however used Ice the first day of my LSB(lumbar sympathetic block) on my back, then heat on my back the following days. My back still hurts =( Had one done last monday.

Well anyways I hope you find something that helps with your pain, and hope Easter finds you with mouthfuls of chocolate and with no pain.

04/23/2011 06:31 PM
patty777

Rice is a good way to desensitize...I put my foot in a bucket of rice..2x daily in the beginning 3 years ago..it did help..

Sand is good too..but not Hot sand on the beach...you need to use shoes if you can walk in sand...It took me a long time..but when i got to the water and took off my tennis shoes..and put my foot in the cool sand near the water..it felt great!!

04/23/2011 08:58 PM
Kippensven
Kippensven  

Just want to clarify when I said "rice" I actually meant the RICE method Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. I actually do use rice to desensitize as well. My PT has me do three minutes of Brown beans, Rice, and corn... To me the corn seems smoother than rice, but hey what do I know lol. Sorry if I confused anyone about he whole "rice" thing.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved