MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/28/2011 06:50 PM

Voltaren and rsd? it ate my elbow skin off!

fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

hi all.

I'm new here and in the process of being diagnosed. I had a failed c-spine fusion and have pain into my hand.Well my elbow got real sore and they said it was tendonitis,gave a cortisone shot which helped in the joint but my skin is purple and feels like its on fire when the air hits is. Dr. prescribed voltaren cream and in 4 days i had no skin in the area just a big oozy patch of yuck that always is burning. Funny that I applied the cream 2 inches around the area and the skin is fine there.doc said my elbow is purple from the cortisone but that was 3 months ago. Any advice would be awesome. I don't know where to get help.Anyone have a similar story?

01/28/2011 07:12 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Welcome to the group. Someone was just discussing Cortisone shots and mentioned that people with RSD should not get them. Burning senstations and color changes are symptoms of RSD. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with Voltaren and don't know why it would affect your skin like that.

Please take some time to read through some of our past discussions, too. There is a lot of helpful information there.

Again, welcome to the group.

Post edited by: Lazy1, at: 01/28/2011 07:13 PM

01/28/2011 07:23 PM
Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

I used this Gel without this reaction on my shoulder. I did not find that it helped me at all so I discontinued it. I do however still use it on my forearm when I have a bad flare and it gets untouchable. I have never had this reaction, however.

01/28/2011 07:24 PM
DarkPain
DarkPain  

FG,

Aye welcome. I think Lazy said some good words of advice. Read up on RSD if you have not. Ask the doctor (not tell...there is a difference), if he/she has ever heard of RSD. Let her/him know that you heard something about it but not sure. Asking questions to doctors is mostly the better way to approach them. Telling the doctor seems at times to flare up the trench coat collar.

I really do hope you are able to find out what it is that you have. We are not doctors or medical technicians here. We care for each other and give emotional support. During my stay here I have learned much from the years of knowledge represented by those who have RSD.

Once again, welcome and hope that your stay here with us is helpful in every way.

DP

01/28/2011 07:57 PM
fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

Thanks for the welcome and responses. This is all new to me and my doc is watching my symptoms develop,very frustrating! i am reading furiously hoping maybe i can bring some info to my pm doc and they will take me seriously now that weird visible things are happening. the fact that voltaren didn't affect skin that wasn't already hypersensitive is a worry.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved