MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2011 03:25 PM

RSD Lesions?

VTMomma87

My father has one diagnosis of RSD and another countering that diagnosis... He has what he describes as sores on his shoulder and the doctor has taken a biopsy and stated that if it was RSD the biopsy would show it... Is he being misinformed? The doctors believes it is skin cancer... Is there something that sounds familiar to this that is related to RSD and if so would anyone be willing to share a photo with me that I could print out to show him? Thanks for any replies! I'm really concerned about him and I worry that his doctors are mistreating him...

01/08/2011 04:05 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

As someone who has RSD and has had skin cancer 3 times, there is little in common. There can be skin changes with RSD, but that is not one of the main symptoms. What are your dad's other symptoms?

A biopsy CANNOT EVER diagnose RSD. It CAN diagnose skin cancer. It is possible that it is neither. Wait and see what the biopsy says, but whatever doc said that a biopsy of a skin lesion could diagnose RSD is just really wrong. Let us know more about your dad and perhaps we can help you more.

Good luck to him and to you for helping him!

gail

01/08/2011 04:16 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

I don't see how a biopsy would diagnose the lesions as RSD. People do get skin lesions with RSD, though. Have you searched the internet for pictures?

01/08/2011 04:21 PM
VTMomma87

No... LOL! I was going to first and then I totally forgot! Silly me! (I'll blame it on my fibrofog!) Smile Thanks so much for that suggestion obviously I needed it! lol!

01/09/2011 08:54 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Katie

Gail is correct! A biopsy cannot diagnose, determine or detect the presence of RSD. It's just not possible. I kind of wish it could. It would remove a lot of stress, uncertainty and save precious time.

Is there a chance you may have misunderstood? If not, the doctor is misinformed.

Discoloration is a common sign of RSD and nail, skin and hair changes become part of it. Lesions themselves are less common and not often heard of. This is not to say that someone with RSD cannot have a lesion at all, but it's just not common or apart of the criteria for diagnosing RSD.

Glad you are here to help your dad. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

There is a photo or two on my profile here that shows discoloration, but it is without lesions.

Again welcome,

~Twinkle

01/10/2011 11:32 AM
VTMomma87

Thanks very much Twinkle! The reason I am concerned is that the doctor who told him this does not believe that my father has RSD however his symptoms line up and another doctor he has seen diagnosed it as that! The doctor said that if he looks at the nerve pathways he will be able to tell if it is RSD or not! I guess I'll just have to go with him to his next appointment...

01/10/2011 03:20 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI.... Twinkles..You are always right on..... I hve skin lesions from my RSD... and they are nasty..... I have seen a number of skin cancers, but can not see how they can be mistaken with each other.......

Craig

01/10/2011 03:58 PM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

I also have some skin lesions from the RSD. They bear no relations to skin cancer and I too don't think they could be mistaken for them. The RSD lesions remind me more of pressure sores but just appear with no pressure involved. They are almost as hard to heal as the pressure sores and mine (with my diabetes) have required a wound care clinic and months to heal.

Rev. Maryanne

01/12/2011 10:39 AM
VTMomma87

Well my father has thought they were RSD for awhile and I know that this doctor doesn't seem to believe in RSD... I can't stand close minded doctors... But I will wait for the biopsy results to come back and I'll probably be back with more questions...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved