MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/16/2010 10:54 PM

trigger point injections

capecod84
capecod84  

What has been your luck with trigger point injections? What medicines are in them? One lady here said one gave her immediate relief. Are they the next round of treatment after pain meds and physical therapy aren't working? I don't want anything done to my spinal cord and am strongly against heavy narcotics.

11/18/2010 06:56 AM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

I had ONE Trigger Point injection to my right hand in Mar 2009 and it worked for me.

Before that I had tried SGB's, meds of all kinds , OT/PT, etc.

It immediately opened up the circulation in my hand and reduced the pain by 50%. By the time I left the doctors office, I could feel the blood flowing in in. I used to live my days at 10+, now I am around a 5 except for occasional flares. I no longer take any medications.

I wished my former doctor would have let me have one years ago instead of having to wait for 5 years to get some relief. I should mention my right hand is atrophied and locked in place still but the pain is bearable. So, it stopped the pain but not the physical damage but I can live with that!

I do know other people that did not have the same results. It will not work the same for everyone just like all those SGB's didn't help me one bit.

However, it is not considered an extreme option; it's just a BIG shot and they numb the area first (it still hurt). I would certainly consider it not as a last resort but something to try before there is extensive damage and spreads like I had.

I asked the doctor what exactly was in it and he would not tell me. He said different doctors use different ingredients so I can't help you on that. Maybe it's a secret recipe.Tongue

I hope this helps you. It was my magic bullet; something else may be yours.

Trudy

Post edited by: thematrix777, at: 11/18/2010 06:57 AM

11/18/2010 10:23 AM
mike1024
mike1024  
VIP Member

Most Doctors use a combination of:

1.Lidocaine which is a local Anesthetic.

2.Triamcinolone which is a corticosteroid used to treat inflamation.

3.Dexamethasone which is a steroid.

11/18/2010 10:25 AM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

Thanks for the information Mike. I do know my doctor didn't use any steroids because I am allergic to them. I really wish he would told me because I think it would be helpful to others to know. Especially since I got such good results.

11/18/2010 11:39 AM
abetterday
abetterday  

Trigger point injections are similar to cortisone shots, except they are not given in the joint (as far as I know). I had about 11 of them in my neck and shoulders and it really helped the pain. They aren't considered a last resort. I would think that your doctor could give you other meds in the shot besides steroids, but I'm not sure. Good luck!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved