MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/16/2010 03:41 PM

Trying to quit smoking

okieladybug09
okieladybug09Posts: 969

Okay you all... I belong to the "Smoking Addiction" (nicotine) support group and I knew that I was going to need their help eventually to help me quit smoking... Well, that day has finally come and I smoked my last cigarette today... Yea me! But here comes the cravings and the need for that group.. I went to the board and its the most inactive board Ive ever seen~! There is no group leader and no active members! WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO GRIPE TO?????

I have RSD & Im going through stinking nicotine withdrawls!!! Its my own stupid fault! And I know that...

(SIGH......................)

Is there another stop smoking support group on here?? Im really having a rough go of things... Time to go get some suckers... I wonder if they come in smoke flavor? Blink just kidding....

Okie~Noodles

10/16/2010 04:00 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Okiegirl (can I call you that since there are 2 Okie's now?)

My man uses a device called Pure Smoke it's an Electric Cigarette. He got it at a tabacco/cig store. It looks like a cig, too. At first it can cost close to actual cigs (ouch) but helps tremendously. It comes it a kit that looks like a cig pack. The starter kit comes with a charger, vaporizer, 4 cartridges (which are nicotine). You can set it to how much or how little nicotine you need. Basically it's helps you wean off without going nuts. You can look it up on line, but we found it's a little more expensive there.

After the initial kit you need to replace the cartridges as needed. It's about 40 dollars to start which is less than some cig brands and even close to generic. Oh and since it's not really a cig, you can puff it anywhere. lol

The closest I came to quitting when was I was on Wellbutrin and it came naturally. I don't know what you are going through, but I can surely imagine it.

I don't know if you are interested in this and I'm not pushing the product, I have no affiliation with them. It may work different from person to person, but my man said it was the best 40 bucks he ever saved or blew.

It just happened to be the first thing I thought of when I read of your struggle.

Wishing you the best of luck finding support,

xo,

~Twinkle

10/16/2010 05:56 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Okie, you can write to me anytime. I quit a few months ago and the cravings are awful. I want a cigarette right now, but I will get over it.

I took Chantix. It gave me more pain in my legs and I had nausea when I took it. But, without Chantix, I wouldn't have quit.

After Christmas, I bought a bunch of the miniature candy canes on clearance. I would use that when I had a craving.

After eating, I would have a strong craving. I would do a few things. I would clean the dishes or take time putting things away. I would brush my teeth. I would go and sit outside until the feeling passed.

I also distracted myself with books to keep myself busy. I was also on MDJ a lot typing to everyone to keep my hands busy....lol.

Good luck and write me, ok?

10/17/2010 11:12 AM
okieladybug09

This is day #2 and its 1pm. I have brushed my teeth 4 times already. I have sucked on countless DumDum suckers... and I think its time to clean something... No, Im going to go for a walk... Grrr... Just need to clear my head.... What gets me is they have "NA" and "AA" but nothing for smokers... And cigaretts kill people too!!!! Obviously they are just as addicting, PLUS they can kill people that are around them! So why isint there support groups available for people trying to beat the habit? N.A and A.A certainly has meetings 7 days a week... But nothing for smokers.....

Again... Chris Rock is hit the nail on the head... "THAT AIN'T RIGHT"

Wow... You can tell Im having issues today... Sorry guys... Im going for a walk...

Okie

10/17/2010 12:15 PM
rsdcrpsfire
rsdcrpsfire  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I hope you enjoy your walk Okie.

Been thinking after calling you Okiegirl... (and asking to call you it) since we have 2 Okie's now.

I don't think your name should be altered ... You are Okie! And Okie Nurse is Okie Nurse. Smile

Wishing you the best of luck in quitting smoking.

~Twinkle

10/17/2010 10:35 PM
okieladybug09

Hey Twinkle! Sorry I didnt get back to you... My mind has been wrapped around its own little misery.. lol Your welcome to call me what ever you would like! Lookinglass calls me "Noodles" (I even go by "hey you!" lol) What ever you would like, I am open to it!!

OH! I didnt tell you what all I have tried with the stop smoking aids.. I have tried the patches, gum, Nicotrol, Chantix, ear magnet (yeah that was a waste of money) and the Lozenges..

I made a promise to myself when I turned 40 this year that I would not end the year a smoker.. Well, the clock is still ticking and its time to get off the pot so to speak.. So Im doing it cold turkey... Its rough but I know that Im more than the addiction to cig's. I will beat the habit. Im just not a happy camper right now.. Wink

The Nameless Wonder, lol

10/18/2010 08:23 AM
SammieGirl
SammieGirl  

Okie - you are doing awesome! It is a one day at a time thing! I have been smoke free now for 4 years (?) I am not going to lie and tell you I don't have cravings from time to time. I chew on everything now! I try to make sure it is gum, but I have chewed on straws, pens, pencils and the list goes on! Drop me a line anytime!

Sammie

(I was dx with CRPS or RSD [what ever you want to call it] in 2004)

10/18/2010 12:58 PM
okieladybug09

Hi Sammie! I have been a Non-Smoker for 2 days!! I was watching the clock this morning to turn so I knew I made it past the 48 hr mark... But I am really having a tuff time with the withdrawls.. Im getting the "Chicken Skin" alot, and I mean alot.. My oldest made a comment to me about it last night when he got home. Said he could see it on my legs across the room.. It happends every few min. And my face keeps turning red and I break out in a sweat alot.. Strange huh? That was yesterday... Today? Woke up sweating and the chicken skin was still there... Think my nerves are taking a hit...

Been sucking on those DumDum suckers still and when I feel really anxious Ive been closing my eyes and taking cleansing breaths reminding myself that it will pass...

I am stronger than my addiction to cigaretts, I know I am... Just have to convince my body of it! lol

10/18/2010 03:26 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Okie???? you smoked???? I did not know that......

I am very happy you are quiting......... The best of luck to you....

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.....

Craig

10/18/2010 03:26 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Okie,

You truly are a strong person. I know that you can do this.

The ear magnets really are a joke. They do not work. I know someone who tried them, too.

They also tried seeing a counselor for hypnosis. Instead of actually hypnotizing them, the dr. gave a relaxation tape. It didn't work either. But, I have heard of others actually getting hypnotized and it working.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved