MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/07/2010 03:26 PM

ketamine infusion

Roo11
Roo11  

Hi everyone, i havent been on here in about 2 months.

i had a 6 day inpatient ketamine infusion with my doctor in manhattan starting on June 14th...and...other than once or twice, and a pain scale of 1-2, i am virtually pain free. i just wanted everyone who has been playing with the idea of ketamine...DO IT. it was an absolute brutal 6 days...with not one thing about it, but i would do it again right now its so incrediblyyy worth it. it ma wear off, i may need booster treatments, or even the whole procedure all over again, but i have my life back after 10 miserable years. if anyone has any questions id be glad to help Smile

xo.

08/07/2010 07:01 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI...I am so very glad that you are having good luck with the fusions........

But.... We have had much discussion about the "K" fusions..... and I hope that any one needing more info would go back and read some of the old post.... or just ask your questions here.... And from someone that did not have good luck with the "K"fusions I would ask if you are thinking of having it done....RESEARCH IT THEN RESEARCH IT AGAIN<<< Then research you doctor and his luck with this procedure......

I think that no matter what any one says it is the patients duty to themselves.... to research every med, treatment, or procedure that you even think you might want......

also if we did that with everything we eat, we would be a heck of a lot better off..... and healthier.

AGAIN::::

I do want to say I am glad that it helped you..... and I hope and pray it continues......

Craig

08/07/2010 11:46 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

That's such wonderful news!!! I'm so happy that you have your life back. You will no doubt have a gratitude and joy for each day without pain that you would never have had before RSD. Please keep us informed as to how you're doing!

I do have one question. Did you go through insurance by any chance? When I talked to my doctor about this he told me that I could not have it because my insurance would never pay for it (and he knows that I can't afford it otherwise). So, I was wondering if your insurance was paying for it as that would possibly help me argue with my insurance. Anyway, if it's not too personal, I'd love to know this.

It's wonderful to hear that you have found a way out of the suffering... a way that worked for you. I couldn't be happier for you! I hope it continues!

gail

08/08/2010 06:23 AM
JacqueJeffries

I just had a 3-day ketamine infusion for RSD in my right hand. It was a brutal 3 days, but it has helped immensely with my pain. My pain is almost gone. I went from a 10 to a 3. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance and they covered the procedure. I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. I had the infusion done at George Washington University Hospital Center located in Washington, DC by a Dr. Chin. I highly recommend you call your insurance to see if they would cover it.

Hope this helps.

JacqueJeffries

08/08/2010 10:07 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

My hospital refused to allow my pain doctor to try the procedure on me. I don't know if it is a hesitation about the procedure or against having it done on me with my history of severe allergic and asthmatic reactions. I can't travel with both the expense and the extreme difficulty traveling with my allergies. So right now I am stuck. My pain levels are running extremely high; no good rest. I have a good counsellor who is helping me with biofeedback and stress management but I really want the ketamine. It looks like for me it would offer relief from this awful misery I have lived with for 10 years. But for now, no help.

Hugs to all!

Rev Maryanne

08/08/2010 08:38 PM
WaterRabbit
WaterRabbit  

Hi Rev. MaryAnne,

I'm in a major flare too.. Have you or your doc thought about a surgery center? Just a thought. A scratch test or small-dose trial run? Allergies aren't nice.

08/09/2010 11:14 AM
revvanbus
revvanbus  
VIP Member

I have had ketamine infusions, just much smaller doses than I would be given I have not shown any allergy to it. I think the hospital big wigs are afraid to have me as an inpatient at the hospital. I can ask my pain doctor about the possibilities of using an outpatient surgery center to do the infusions. We have several in town. My doc won't be back until late September so I have to wait anyway. Thanks for the idea.

Rev. Maryanne

08/09/2010 10:19 PM
Roo11
Roo11  

Gail, unfortunately no, my insurance didnt cover any of it at all. it was straight out of pocket (well, very fortunuately for me, my dad's pocket).

hope everyone can have a restful night Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved