MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/08/2010 05:11 PM

RSD- Surgery- Anesthesia- help!!!

maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Please help! I need surgery and am scheduled for this Friday. I am concerned that the type of anesthesia that my pain doctor recommended to my surgeon is not enough for the best outcome, but I am not sure.

I am reading a few sites where it seems that getting an anesthetic is best if done before, during and after surgery for some time periods rather than just during it as is normal for non-RSD people.

Does anyone have any actual studies, physician papers or articles that talk about this. I want something to send to my surgeon and more than one thing would be great. I really, really, need help with this if anyone can help me.

Thank you so much in advance if you have this info. or not. I have had 2 panic attacks this afternoon and feel like I'm going toward another one. If you pray, please pray for me. I really need it. Thank you.

gail

06/08/2010 06:06 PM
lilwarden

Gail

The only thing that I have read and my pain management doctor told me this also is that before I can have any type of surgery the sympathetic nerve has to be blocked otherwise it can cause the crps/rsd to spread. If I find anything else I will let you know. Prayers and good wishes go out to you.

Susan

06/08/2010 08:02 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

We had a post about this before. I'll try to locate it for you.

Here's one link to a past post...I'll try to find another:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/reflex-sympathetic- dystrophy-discussions/general-support/420486-surgery-after- being-diagnosed

Reading the info. there, I think that an Epidural block is recommended.

Post edited by: Lazy1, at: 06/08/2010 08:10 PM

06/08/2010 08:58 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Susan, Thanks so much. I'm going to go see the surgeon tomorrow and talk to him about working this out right. I appreciate your help and encouragement very much!

Hi Lazy, Thanks! I am going to have an epidural block, I just was wondering what anyone knew about more of a sustained block than one basically just during surgery. I did find a couple of things tonight but could use help still. Thanks!

gail

06/09/2010 09:07 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Gail...are you sure that you want to do this?

06/09/2010 09:39 PM
scorpioj
scorpioj  
Group Leader

Gail,

To me your panic is telling you something - Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe you want to consider a less invasive method of pain control. Whatever you decide, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

scorpioj

06/10/2010 05:38 AM
Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

Gail,

I just had shoulder surgery (my RSD site) and they gave me a block that lasted 24 hours. This was suppose to help reduce the chance of spread, as well as control the pain. The block was wonderful for the first 24 hours. What part of your body is the surgery??? Hopefully for you it is someplace you can get a good block! Good luck finding what will work for you, let us know!

06/10/2010 11:39 PM
maddiesgram
maddiesgram  

Hi Lazy, Scorpioj, and Swimmom,

Yes, I'm SURE I want to try this. The first surgeon suggested it to me 2 1/2 years ago and I've talked to 4 surgeons about it. I'm just not able to function almost at all because the pain in this stupid little toe is so excruciaing. I can take the other pain I have and I do know that the real problem here is that I could get worse or it spread. But, I can't function now, so I am going to do this with the shot at getting better some. I am scared, but I am more scared of not doing it because I think I will die. I cannot support myself the way I am and am in a very bad place in almost every imaginable way that I can't dig out of unless I can get better and my family is not going to help me. I don't have any options but to do whatever I can to try to function again. Anyway, I am having an epidural and have found information about it and discussed it now with my surgeon. Thank you guys so much for thinking of me. I just wish it was already over and that my son had emailed me back after I emailed him last night to tell him about this. He has hurt me so much. Anyway, oh well. I'll let you guys know what happens.

gail

06/11/2010 10:11 AM
Swimmom82
Swimmom82  

Gail,

Im not sure if i have missed something, but what is it that you are having done? (or actually, i guess you are HAVING done) Does anyone else know, as she is probably in the hospital as we speak??? Good luck Gail, and i will be praying for you that you get relief and have good pain control after the surgery!

06/11/2010 07:25 PM
donnabrawley

Hi-Gail was to have surgery today. She was having the surgery in Houston. She promised to chat with me as soon as she is able bodied enough to do so. I'll let yall know how she is when I hear (or she posts). Donna

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved