MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/25/2010 08:18 PM

RSD/CRPS & Eye sight? digestion?

WaterRabbit
WaterRabbit  

Anyone else have vision & digestion affected by their RSD/CRPS?

Digestion problems improved by a block? (constipation before & normal after a block?)

Thanks!

-Water Rabbit

04/26/2010 05:36 AM
lilwarden

Been having problems with both......thought my vision problems were due to needing my glasses changed but it had been the same for several years now I can't seem to focus alot. As far as the constipation my doctor had me using Miralax every night but then had to prescribe me another med to help with that. Good luck and hope you have a pain free day.

04/26/2010 08:30 AM
WaterRabbit
WaterRabbit  

Hi Lilwarden,

Interesting you should mention Miralax... I take Miralax, Amitiza & Fiber tablets (the Amitiza & fiber combo seems to work the best for me. I take Fiber Choice chewables) and that seems to work very well, and the fiber is likely safer than the medications, and costs less too! Amitiza is ridiculously expensive (I think it was around $800 for a 2 month supply!!!

I used to take Zelnorm, which worked perfectly by itself (well... I also eat a pretty darn good diet most of the time as well.) Seems a war between drug companies got the FDA to call it "dangerous & risky" & a risk for heart problems... interesting, they'll sell Prilosec OTC & there is a definite cancer risk with that drug, yet they pump it out like aspirin! Many people I've talked to take it for indigestion! That's NOT what it is for, but interesting how it got to be an OTC drug, and IMHO its dangerous!

Zelnorm, if you read the studies, got a bad wrap IMHO...

It would be nice if the FDA would allow it to be brought back.

Even some allergy meds & especially OTC nasal sprays, as well as OTC NSAIDs can be very dangerous, yet anyone can go buy them, and they are often overused... NSAIDs seem to be one of the major causes of bleeding ulcers, nasal sprays can cause high BP, and so on...

GRRR!!! I suppose it keeps the doctors busy!

The studies w/ Zelnorm seem to be severely flawed, as the studies I read were questionable as to who conducted them for one, and the amount of heart problems were a smaller percentage than the national average, so something was up there... It seems Amitiza was waiting & ready to be launched about the time Zelnorm was taken off the market & I heard (not confirmed) that researchers from the maker of Amitiza were the ones who ran the study to the FDA about the supposed heart problems with Zelnorm.... Hmmm ::Dizzycratching head::: & the percentages were simply far less than other meds still on the market, including many nasal sprays that are still on the market, and still shooting blood pressures through the roof for many users!

I don't care much for Amitiza - it seems to be either too strong or not strong enough, so I try to only take it PRN (as needed)

I just finished my 1st bottle of "Fiber Choice" & am trying to taper off the others all together.

Insurance should cover things like Fiber Choice IMHO... It can not only be preventative, but can treat chronic constipation.

On the vision issue, I wonder how many others have had significant vision changes & if it is related to RSD/CRPS?

Interesting how that works... Anyhow, hope to hear from more people on this & hopefully find some studies on it!

Also wonder about the NIH grant study on CRPS/RSD for a medication that's been used in Japan for MANY years for RSD, apparently very successfully??? I'll have to read more on that... That study is ongoing. Should be interesting to see if the outcomes!

Well, have a great day!

-WaterRabbit

04/26/2010 08:36 AM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI...I have had this crap since 1999, and I have eye and stomach problems big time..... I have had every test under the sun... and the only answer any doctor has is...RSD.......

I have not where my lower bowel does not work at all........

I have gone completely with out any meds, and it did not change anything....BUT you must know that your meds can cause really bad side effects when it comes to your stomach... Constipation, and a lazy lower bowel... Which means you can not go....

if you have any questions.... just let me know... I can tell you what I am doing for it... there is a med for constipation brought on by heavy pain meds..

Craig

04/26/2010 12:43 PM
okieladybug09
okieladybug09Posts: 969

Hey WaterRabbit! (Luv the name!) I have eye problems brought on from the RSD.. I wish I remembered the name my optomologist calls it.. But you know how we sometimes get "floaters" in our eyes? I have a permant one that doesnt move... Its from the RSD.. Its a lovely little squiggley line that is always there and constantly annoying... I use eye drops everyday and see no shrinkage...

Also, the meds give me constant dry eye.. Gotta love that.. Not more contacts for me..

The narcotics do irritate my bowls some and once in awhile I have to use "miralax"... Isin't RSD just grand? As if living with constant pain isint enough, they put us on all these pills to help us out and they cause all the lovely side effects...

Gentle Hugs

Okie~Noodles

04/26/2010 06:01 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI...I just have a guestion...

Does not the Narcotics kinda stop the bowels from working....??

That why they came out with the med called...Relistor (methylnaltrexone bromide)... which does work if you need to go... but can cause really bad cramps.....

Craig

04/26/2010 06:17 PM
darlaa
darlaa  

Digestion & vision can definitely be affected by rsd. Not only do the medications affect these, but the rsd itself does as well. The sympathetic nervous system plays a role in almost every bodily system.

04/26/2010 06:21 PM
darlaa
darlaa  

ps narcotics can cause the bowels to slow down or stop/severly slow the whole digestive process. drink lots of water and take stool softeners. also, salad is always a great natural way of helping facilitate things to move through!

04/27/2010 01:56 AM
WaterRabbit
WaterRabbit  

Hi Darlaa,

Thanks for the info... wondering if the vision changes are reversible???

As far as the constipation, I've had it since I was a kid & with or without medications that can cause it, and even with full-blown thyroid storms (Graves' disease out of control), which should have given me the opposite!

Interesting that after my block I went fine without adding anything - usually take Miralax, Ducolax, Amitiza & fiber tablets too (& I don't tolerate or digest meats & heavy meals well without probiotics & professional use only enzyme therapy (oral).

I hope the vision comes back & the digestion I never really had gets where it should be! That would be awesome! That was unexpected.

As for food, I just about live on salads, even when I was young my college buds used to call me a "health food nut", which I never really understood, as if I had eaten like they did, I'd be sick & miserable all the time. I lived on a LOT of very fresh fish (still LOVE fresh sushi & feel better for it!), a lot of salads (daily, at least 1 entire meal is nothing but usually & lots of fruit this time of year especially) & yeah, occasionally McD's or some tri-tip, but I feel like I swallowed a rock when I eat junk food! Spicy is fine, but don't handle bread well at all, and pizza? That is like tying a knot in my intestines!

Thanks for the info & have a great day!

04/27/2010 08:20 AM
darlaa
darlaa  

as far as the vision goes it's hard to say if it is reversible or not. mine is recurring, but everyone is different. I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to eat your carrots! I use this natural digestion supplement and if needed i use a natural laxative that doesnt cause severe side effects.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved