MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/22/2013 04:08 PM

Ketamine Cream for RSD

3fingers
3fingers  

I have RSD in my left fingers and palm and sometimes it feels like I have glass in m fingers. I have gone for my initial Consultation and treatment and continued to have the 9 treatments. It did help bring down my pain level from 10+ to 5. I will continue going since it did help and I went to the on in Stamford, Ct, New England Chronic Pain. Just wondering if Ketamine Cream would help.

06/22/2013 05:09 PM
jpcrps
jpcrps  
I'm an Advocate

Dear 3 Fingers,

First of all I love your avatar. Just beautiful. From what I know of the ketamine cream, it can be useful for Stage One - pre centralization pain. Once the pain is centralized, it is no longer truly associated with the pain location, it is coming from the brain so the ketamine cream is not very helpful. However, it does seem to help with the open sores that some CRPS sufferers have.

This is information I heard from Dr. Pradeep Chopra during his presentation at the Integrated Solutions Conference on May 10, 2013 in San Francisco. The conference was hosted by RSDSA and his presentation can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NzhnAXX2c&feature=share

The entire presentation is about 1 hour long. The discussion of medicines is near the end of the presentation, and he speaks specifically of the use of ketamine cream for Type 1 and Type 2 CRPS and for pre and post centralized CRPS.

Aloha,

Jenny

07/05/2013 09:11 PM
gfm
gfm  

There is a compounding pharmacy in Alabama I use (Inverness Apothecary - not sure of the site, I usually google - they email back with answers to questions).

I get a compound mix with lidocaine (topical anaesthetic) baclofen (anti-spasmodic) and cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant). I know that you can add other anaethetics and ketamine is one option. They basically make what your doctor prescribes - they have a form with their most popular combinations. My mum's a pharmacist, which has been pretty helpful for me - basically the lidocaine should numb the area (it doesn't feel overly numb, but once I had really dry lips, a stupid idea, foggy brain, and the cream was the only mosturising thing in my handbag.... it really does numbs things).

The cyclobenzaprine and baclofen can be absorbed transdermally, but will still work centrally although there's a big debate over absorption vs. oral vs. iontophoresis (eletronically 'pushing the medicine through the skin) vs. phonophoresis (using ultrasound to drive it deeper). With any medication, everyone will absorb different percentages, so it's just trial and error to see what works for you.

There's another pharmacy I got the same mix from called Compound Care (I also found their website on Google), personally I use the other one because I have to pay and it was slightly cheaper and the customer service was better.

I do find the mix helpful, but it's an addition to my drugs, not a replacement, which is kind of what I was hoping for. I do feel a difference when my physio uses the ultrasound with the drug compared to just applying it at home, but not a massive difference.

07/30/2013 05:14 PM
bears
bearsPosts: 20

Thank you for the information about Ketamin Cream. I just received the cream 4 days ago after waiting 4 months from the time it was prescribed. My cream is Ketamin 30% without any mixture, and instruction is to apply 1 - 4 times a day 0.5 to 1 gram each time. I feel lightheaded and also slight stomach upset from the second day, but I don't feel any relief at all so far. How long it usually takes to notice the good effect of the cream? It seems like many people are using the compound cream (ketamin 10% and other ingredients) for CRPS. Do anybody use Ketamin 30% cream for crps?

07/30/2013 08:36 PM
barcon1

I began using KGLC Cream (KGLC formula contains Ketamine,Gabapentin,Lidocaine and Clonidine)for about 14 months. I began having positive results within 30 minutes after the application, about 2 years after being diagnosis with RSD. I could apply it as often as needed.

Best of luck!

Barb

07/31/2013 01:13 PM
bears
bearsPosts: 20

Thank you. Your answer is very helpful. I will let the doctor know that I have not felt any positive result from the application. I am glad to know that the cream has been helping you.

07/31/2013 01:59 PM
jpcrps
jpcrps  
I'm an Advocate

Emily,

I JUST got some Ketamine cream too! The insurance did not approve the combo mixture so I have the K only at 10% cream. It is a subtle help, but if I apply it in a thin layer and then put a sock on over it so it doesn't rub off, it seems to help my tootsies where most of my pain lives.

Maybe the relief is too subtle with the level of pain you have? Are you on any opiods for the pain in addition to the cream? Together they may be a better "quilt" of coverage for you. Perhaps you would need to use a little less cream to avoid the negative side effects? I always make sure to wash my hands VERY well as I don't want extra to soak in to my hands. Also, if you have a sensitive body - allergies, food sensitivities etc, that may make you more sensitive to dermal products.

This may not be much help to you, but just a few ideas that popped into my head when I read your post.

Much love, Great Thread,

Jenny

01/03/2014 02:00 PM
Dena967
Dena967  

I was given the combination cream but it turned gravely after about 2 weeks. A second bottle did the same. When I spoke with the pharmacist I was told "our buyer changed the wholesale source". They did not change compounder so I stopped using it!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved