MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/26/2009 04:20 PM

Cobra Inssurance

gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Before i start asking questions - I'm so confused - does anyone have experience paying for Cobra offered by previous job after job loss?

01/26/2009 04:30 PM
Barbkubacki

I was offered it but it is so expensive. It is still the same insurance you had but just paying a whole lot out of you pocket!

01/26/2009 06:01 PM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

The payment's bad but not unbelievable and for all the appts and meds it is better then paying out of pocket. Problem is with preexhisting condtions. If I don't buy Cobra then nooone is going to cover me except at an outrageous amount and a 12 month waiting period. I'm just wondering if there is any type of waiting period with Cobra for preexhisting conditions since I wasn't DX'd till August. Also if you let insurance lapse more then 63 days noone insures you at all. This is all stuff I've researched today and I'm just confused. I called work and Blue cross and nobody can answer this.

01/26/2009 08:00 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If the payment's not tooooooooo horrible, why not do it for a bit, and then see what you can come up with for individual insurance? I can ask around, I know someone who's been doing research for herself here--her name online is Cmany, she's on the Lyme forum, and you could ask her about it, just tell her I sent you! And she has a family, and she's looked at several different policies for different things. She has Lyme, she can tell you a LOT about doing it. But I think if you can handle it at first, it may be worth it till you can investigate a little further--or go talk to Cmany and see what she can tell you. Maybe she can give you enough right away.

I'm sorry I don't have more info. I've only done it once, and I was able to pay such a reasonable rate that it was sooooo worth it, and I mean, like only about $250, maybe. It was easy for me to make the decision. I don't know anything else about the rest of what you posted. Sorry! I hope you get it worked out!

*hugs*

jen

01/27/2009 05:47 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

The question I need answered is because I am going from Aetna to Cobra Blue Cross, can BC put a preexhisting rule on me? It is a 12 month waiting period from DX to get that condition covered with anyone else and you have to pay for the ins and not be able to use it. You cannot let ins lapse for more then 63 days. I think Cobra may leagally have to cover me right away but I'm worried I may have to pay it for 8 months before I can actually use it. That's crazy. They can't seem to answer and I don't want to pay $372 a month just to find out I have no precondition coverage for the next 8 months. That's everything that is wrong with me. I'll try a few more calls today but I got nowhere yesterday. BC actually told me I would have to pay for the first month to find out.

01/27/2009 06:25 AM
Barbkubacki

By any chance did your company hand out a policy/procedures booklet to you? Where I was working when we started we were given this booklet and it had everything in it including Cobra.

01/27/2009 09:19 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I got a hold of the corporate office today. I'm covered full as long as I pay for Cobra. I figure my bills are about 4 or 5 thousand every 5 to 8 weeks without insurance so I don't have a choice but to take it. It is a law that preexhisting rules cannot be put on a person if there is no lapse in insurance. I also went to Ortho today and need surgery again on my neck on C5/6. C4/5 and C3/4 are also bulging. I am going to put it off as long as possible since fixing it is just going to rupture the 2 bulging even quicker. I love my life....

01/27/2009 12:01 PM
Barbkubacki

I had that surgery and it really wasn't bad the only thing that bothered me was the morphine drip! Putting me on vicodin and I felt much better.

01/27/2009 01:51 PM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Barb, I'm happy for you that your surgery went well but I've been thru it once and had a nightmare of a time. Repeating it anytime soon does not sound fun. I also can't afford it so it's gonna wait as long as possible. I do believe I was in an RA and Fibro flare during it though.

01/27/2009 02:15 PM
Barbkubacki

I didn't realize that you went through this before. What did they do last time on your neck and what are they want to this time? How long ago was the last time. I am sorry the yours was a nightmare. The only problem I had was that there was this big bandage on the front of my neck and the more we changed it the worse it got. Pulling the bandage off over and over again started to make me feel like I was going to pass out. The front of the neck is so sentitive. If you look at my picture you can see the line on my neck.

Barbara

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved