MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/30/2010 02:35 PM

Wondering

WeepingStill
WeepingStill  

I've been trying to think of ways to help myself feel better about what happened in my past, what is going on now in my life, and ways to make it better in the future. I've spent a lot of nights lately without sleeping because of all of the stuff on my mind. As it gets closer and closer to A-day I have a deepening feeling in the pit of my stomach, I feel almost nauseous. trying to talk to the people closest to me hasn't done any good. And, trying to talk/write to my husbandd doesn't work. I've had no luck finding a suitable counselor/therapist either. The only one I've found so far was only interested in prescribing meds and sending me on my way. And, the local rape crisis center has had recent cutbacks and had to lay off all of their counselors, and that was the only time I ever felt like I had an actual connection with one of the counselor-type people.

Today is my birthday party, I'm kinda looking forward to it, but I'm already SO exhausted from 8 hours of school today and not sleeping well last night that I don't know how up to celebrating I'm going to be.

Does anyone have any advice about what I can/should do in regards to finding a counselor/therapist?

10/30/2010 03:03 PM
Lisal22
Lisal22Posts: 476

The best thing I have found is to try to find a therapist who specializes in rape counseling. There are organizations in almost every city or town that do that. Many counselors do not have a clue about how to deal with sexual abuse but if you find one that does it can make all the difference in healing.

10/30/2010 03:04 PM
hiall
hiall  
VIP Member

The crises center should be able to help you find one. If the one your using now isnt working, ask them to help you find one. It is normal to keep trying therapist until you find the right one.

Its great that you are going to school. Do you think you have more time for something else? Like a hobby or something to get your mind off of what happened to you. Something you have always wanted to do? What do you like to do for fun?

Post edited by: hiall, at: 10/30/2010 03:05 PM

10/30/2010 03:17 PM
lovespeonies
lovespeonies  
VIP Member

I agree with the others. Call the crisis line or go on to their site and they will be able to lead you in the right direction. You need to focus in on yourself and find something that brings you happiness.

Enjoy your birthday party, have fun!!! Have a happy birthday!!!

10/30/2010 09:27 PM
WeepingStill
WeepingStill  

Thank you very much everyone for your help today! I think tomorrow I'm going to try_to call. RAINN or someone like that. it not before school then after school.. My mom made sure I nada great birthday party today! she is so wonderful to Me, and takes good care of us! I Just hope that I can be as good of A mother to my son as she Has Been for us well, will add more later.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved