MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/12/2009 11:07 PM

new and depressed

T112311
T112311  

Hi im twenty i have P. I have had it sense the seventh grade when my parents divorced. i think that is what triggerd it from all the stress. it has never really bothered me untill now, it bothered me when i first got it for a little bit then i just learned to live with it. i learned to ignore most people. and i also had good friends and family.one of my sisters actually punched someone once even after i told her not to that actually made me embarrassed. but i never told her that.

I have P from head to toe. well not head to toe but close enough. my head my face my stomach and back my legs and my arms its even on my neck. my hands my ears... i always said i dont care what other people think and for the most part i dont untill recently im more sensative. I dont take meds i think i should. i used to take methotresate sorry about the spelling and then it stopped i have never really look P up cause i was so young i never really thought about it and now that i have i know that i can get dibites and other stuff which worries me and then i stress and then my P gets worse.most people dont say anything but i see them staring and mostly is is the african americans not to be rude im am not racist or anything im just saying they yell at me and stuff like telling me to get away from them and not to touch them and that stuff young children always call them boo boos and that doesnt bother me to much. once my when my cousin was 2 she put like 5 band aids on me. when i first got it a boy called me polka dot and i was like really thats all you could come up with and i was like that is so stupid. it really is. its not very clever at all. one person in my family has it and he is like my second or third cousin.

im in a relationship and she dosent even care that i have it and that makes me feel sooo good about myself.

i have for animals and they really help me relax and stress less two dogs and two cats. im sorry this was so long but it feels good to finally vent and tell people who can relate to and again im sorry this is so long

05/13/2009 04:38 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

T112311,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this horrible disease. You should really see your Dr. There are a lot of new treatments now and many are not as harsh as the Methotrexate.

Enbrell is great When I used it I was clear for the first time in over 20 years. You would have to give yourself a shot but that's not as bad as it sounds and the company that makes it has a pretty good support system. The only reason I stopped using it is because I have other health issues that interfered. If the cost is a problem the company also offers assistance with that.

Enbrell is just 1 of the treatments available now, There are many more. A cure No but things can be better.

Depression is very common among (p) patients.

You should also mention this to your Dr. You are not alone.

I have liver disease so I am limited with what I can use that's why I am trying things like the Banana peel. If I could use some of the newer meds I would be at the Dr. right now.

I am including a link to the NPF below You should check it out, sometimes being proactive helps.

http://psoriasis.org/home/

Gail Cool

05/16/2009 06:14 AM
TxChris

Hi. I have been diagnosed with pustular psoriasis back in 1988. I had just lived with it. Well, then Enbrel came along and I went to see a Dermatologist and ask if I could try it out. He said yes and I started on Enbrel. My skin, hands and feet, totally cleared up for about 2½ month. Then I got really sick with and upper resp. infection and a 'rash' on my legs and low back and bumps on my scalp. I got off Enbrel and started on Humira about 3 wks later. Again, my skin totally cleared up, the bumps on my head and the 'rash' went away. 2½ month later the 'rash' came back 10 times worse then the first time. All around my ankles, front of my legs, inside my ears, my scalp...I was like OMG. Went back to the doc and he said 'it's your psoriasis flaring up' Well, the 'rash' didn't look like 'my' psoriasis. Anyway..he said that the Humira Doc's were coming out this wk and he would get back in touch with me. So his nurse called me and said that I need to pick up this antibiotic Rx and start back on the Humira. I did what I was told and my 'rash' didn't get better...nothing got better, just worse. I looked up on the internet what the antibiotic he prescribed was for and I came across cellulites. That freaked me out. Anyway..a wk later I still wasn't getting better. I went back to the doc and he assured me that it was NOT cellulites. He said it was 'my' psoriasis and he wants me to start taking Soriatane after I do some blood work and get the test results back. So I went home and got back on the internet and looked up plaque psoriasis. Well that is what I have now. So, Enbrel and Humira gave me plaque Psoriasis. My feet get so swollen during the day I am afraid that they're gonna burst or something. I am having to take anti inflam. for the inflammation and the pain. So NO more Enbrel or Humira for me. Dr prescribed me some ointment which seems to be helping me. And the Soritane. Has anyone been on Soritane before and what kind of results did you get? Does anybody else have the plaque psoriasis? That is so totally new with me and it scared the hell out of me.

Thanks ya'll.

Chris

05/20/2009 07:10 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tx chris,

Soriatane is a very strong medication that works for some but doesn't cure the (P) If you stop the med it usually comes back.It has similar side effects as Methotrexate, ( Liver problems ,kidney problems , birth defects and such.) I can't use it because of my liver.

I have both plaque and pustule (P) and I know how concerning the plaques can be. They are very hard not to notice so you get more stares from others.

Let me know how you do with the Soriatane.

Gail Ermm

05/20/2009 06:21 PM
TxChris

Hi, thanks for the reply. After everuthing I have been going through with the Enbrel and Humira I am not sure that I want to take Soriatane. The nurse called me yesterday to let me know that she called the meds in to the pharmacy. So I am not sure if I am going to pick them up. The nurse told me that I have to be seen by the doc every month and that I will have to do blood work 3 day's before the visit. I am thinking 'OMG, how bad will this drug be for me'?

Yes, the plaque P is horrible. I thought pustule P was bad...but this stuff is the devil. I am using ointment on it...Talconex. It helped a lot.

Anyway...I will let you know if I will be getting on Soriatane or not...I think I am leaning more to the 'not'.

Are you taking anything for it right now?

Chris

05/21/2009 06:33 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chris,

No I'm not taking anything right now. I was using the Banana peels and they did help but I had a allergic reaction to some other meds I was on and because they give you high doses of steroids I couldn't tell what was working the steroids or the banana peels so I stopped the peels for a while.

I'll try them again when the steroids are completely out of my system. I do use aquaphor cream it keeps the plaques soft and less noticable.If I don't they crack and bleed.

Gail

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved