MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2012 12:28 PM

Wise Anderson Protocol

trout841
trout841  

I am hoping to make this thread the first of its kind. I am officially declaring myself a success story and a survivor to prostatitis. I do not want to repost or rehash my condition or the details of it, as those details can be found right here:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/prostatitis-discussions/ general-support/3119800-new-to-prostatitis/limitstart/ 40#3319035

I will briefly state I was on antibiotics for a good deal of time, including:

Bactrim (500mg 2x daily)

Cipro (500mg 2x daily)

1 shot of rocephin

1 week of Zithromax (I cannot recall the dosage)

I would like to underscore that the treatment I received from my urologist was not a waste of time, nor was it not helpful. I had several urine tests and cultures done to verify my condition was not bacterial/viral/etc. I had a CT scan as well as a Cystoscopy to let the urologist check that out.

Everything came back clean. At first, I was slightly irked and irritated that test after test came back negative, yet I still had terrible pelvic pain combined with a sense to urginate. Fortunately I found help. It took a few months. If you have chronic pelvic pain, or cannot find relief from conventional treatments, please buy this book. I am in no way affiliated with the clinic, the university, etc. I suffered with this condition, and am writing this article only to help those who are suffering.

Here is the book on Amazon:

http://pelvicpainhelp.com/

I would like to underline that I am not a Dr. I am a fellow, yet luckily former sufferer. This CPPS/Prostatitis (non-bacterial) is a horrible experience. Be careful not read the droves of articles of people claiming this is a non-curable condition. Its better you read this book, and the reviews and testimonies presented on Amazon. If I didn't think this book would help, I wouldn't be here writing this article.

The book stresses relaxation, physical therapy, and trigger point release to offer relief. They claim a 70% success rate. I am one of the 70%. This book saved the quality of my life. In fact, it saved me from the darkest days of my life. It was a cure.

The one point I must make is that the clinic is probably a great experience for several people. I was lucky enough to cure myself with this book. I am not a Doctor, but an engineer, so to find a cure, by just reading a medical book, it was relieving.

Do not get weirded out by the trigger points found within the rectum. Do not be ashamed to ask a spouse for help. Yes its weird, and uncomfortable, and awkward, but it is necesary. If it didn't work, I wouldn't reccomend it. It sucked.

I never learned the RSA breathing technique. I used relaxation CDs, and worked hard to keep my cool about anything and everything. I never went to the clinic. I did the stretching and the trigger point release. Sure enough my symptoms waned and waned.

I still don't drink caffeine or alcohol, but don't really care. I found Pepsi/Coke to be a horrific part of my problem.

Please buy this book if you are suffering. It is tough to read, and the whole idea may seem weird. Dr. Wise and Dr. Anderson of Stanford are absolute geniuses. They are not scammers, or quacks. Please, if you are in pain... GIVE THEM A CHANCE. That is all I ask.

I cannot tell you how wonderful my life is due to this book. This forum is a great place to be. The best support we can offer you is a cure and therapy. Good luck. Any questions or concerns about this treatment known as the Wise-Anderson (Stanford) Protocol please let me know.

01/07/2012 10:22 AM
Saucer
SaucerPosts: 199
Group Leader

Trout, this could be the most helpful information posted here in a long time. Please keep us updated from time to time. I'm so glad you are doing well.

01/22/2012 04:00 AM
trout841
trout841  

Saucer,

More and more it appears that my symptoms were indeed stress related. I had a briedf flare up for a few days (not as bad as my original episodes) that went away using relaxation and some physical therapy.

I continue to show signs of improvement by managing my temper and emotions, and now occasionally performing the internal/external trigger points along with physical therapy.

I have referenced a few titles by Dr. Miller:

http://drmiller.com/

He offers CDs to guide and assist in relaxation. These are great, and not only did they help with my symptoms, but I still use them each night before sleeping. When used before sleep, I have found that my body is better relaxed prior to sleeping, and thus is better relaxed while I sleep. I wake up feeling more rested.

I don't want to say I am fully cured, and will never have a flare up again, but I still stand behind this Stanford (Wise-Anderson) protocol. It has restored the wuality of my life.

Although the book will recommend the clinic, I was able to get where I am with only a $20.00 purchase of that book. The CDs from Dr. Miller are available at the library.

01/22/2012 06:02 PM
Saucer
Group Leader

This is really good news Trout. Please keep us up to date.

02/17/2012 02:28 PM
trout841
trout841  

Hi all,

The good news continues. I have had some slight flare ups, but I have added onto the WIse Anderson Protocol.

I came to discover my main trigger points were not even internal, but rather in my lower abdomen. They would trigger slight pain to my perenium, urethra, testicles, and give a nasty feeling in my pelvis. The Wise Anderson protocol alone just suggests pressing in on these trigger points.

I found that by just pressing in, I wasn't getting the full treatment. As per their writings, the purpose is to soften and stretch the muscles. So I proposed a theory, if pressing on the muscles would stretch and soften them, what results could I have if I attempted to apply heat before stretching them?

I am currently at a hotel in Germany on business, so I had limited options for applying heat. Luckily my hotel room has an electric stove, water, towels, and a pan to boil the water in.

I first will boil water. Then I put a towel on the top of the pan, so it can catch the steam. Then after the towel is scorching hot, I quickly grab it and place it into a second towel, that acts as a buffer between the hot towel and my skin. Then I put the towel on one side of my lower abdomen, and let it sit for 5 minutes. I then put the towel back over the steam while it is hot. Once the towel is hot, I lay down and apply the towel to the other side of abdomen. While laying with the towel on one side, I apply pressure to my lower abdomen's trigger points as described in the book. AFter the five minutes are up for the second side, I place the towel on the side of the bed and spend five minutes stretching the other's side's trigger points.

And wah-lah... No internal trigger points (thank God) and about twenty minutes of work, and I can guarantee myself pain free for 48 hours. Although for now I do this everyday. I have put the Wise-Anderson therapy on steroids. It worked. I don't have to do the relaxation therapy.

I don't want to say my case trumps the years of study Dr. Wise and Dr. ANderson have done. This is just working for me. As for the others I just wanted to get this out there. I don't think Wise or Anderson would ever write about my success, because it could cost them money. I could be wrong, but they run the clinic for a reason. Anyways, the truth is each case is different, and some of us have bacterial issues. I certainly did not. I do not regret seeing a uro, or having any of the tests done. I am sure I did the right thing. This was not an easy battle, but I am a survivor, and I declare myself cured for now. I'll keep you guys posted. Hang in there. This is not an easy battle.

02/18/2012 04:10 PM
Saucer
Group Leader

This is great news, Trout. It reminds me of the accupuncturist I saw who put a needle just below my belly button and applied a little electricity. I could really feel something in my prostate gland. Your trigger points remind me of that. It might not hurt to write Dr's Wise & Anderson and tell them of your discovery. It might let them use it on others and be helpful.

Again, so glad your feeling better & please do keep us posted.

Saucer

02/23/2012 08:29 PM
herbalmed

Hello Trout. I've been dealing with non-bacterial prostatitis for about six years. My symptoms have always been severe urinary urgency and frequency. I've had bouts of pain before but it was very mild. My question to you is have you found any relief from your urinary symptoms using the "trigger point therapy" as described in this book. I have tried so many things to try and alleviate these symptoms. Pills, chiropractors, herbal supplements, abstaining from ejaculating, frequently ejaculating and so on. Right now I'm practicing regular prostate massages at home using something called the "Aneros." I have yet to find any relief from this. I have heard of this book before but I was always kind of under the impression that it was more so dealing with pain symptoms rather than urinary urgency and frequency problems. Just wanted to get some feedback from someone who has read and implemented the techniques described in this book. Thanks a lot.

02/25/2012 05:30 PM
Saucer
Group Leader

Hi herbalmed,

Welcome to the group. I'm sure trout will get back to you soon. He has been traveling a great deal lately. The method he describes works for him. I assume you have been to a urologist more than once.

Saucer

Group Moderator

02/26/2012 03:17 PM
herbalmed

Hi Saucer. Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Yes I've been to three different Urologists since dealing with this. The first was convinced after checking me I had prostatitis and then referred me to another Urologist.

The second said my prostate seemed fine and preformed several tests on me to rule other possibilities out. This included tests for stds and infections and a cystoscopy (procedure they do to check for strictures and poylps) which all came back OK. He didn't perform a "PSA test" because he said since I was pretty young,(25) it wasn't necessary. He then put me on a course of Ciprofloxacin and Flomax for a month just to be sure it wasn't "bacterial prostatitis." After the month was up I had no symptom improvement so he referred me to yet another Urologist.

The third Urologist performed "urodynamics" testing and said that everything looked fine but that my urination stream was very abnormal and wasn't sure why. He also had no answers as to my frequency and urgency. He basically said in so many words he knew something was wrong with me but didn't know what and that I will probably have to deal with it the rest of my life. That was VERY disheartening and I felt like he wasn't even putting an effort forth since he didn't suggest any other options to seek out.

So after no conclusion of any sort except for masses of medical bills I gave up hope going to the doctors. This was about 5 years ago and I haven't been back since. I really couldn't afford to be told nothing is wrong with me anymore even though I KNOW that there is. This is when started connecting with people on the internet who suffered from the same symptoms. Most of them had similar experiences with the doctors telling them that nothing is wrong or "it's all in their head." After reading tons of information on non-bacterial prostatitis I became convinced this is what I had. I came to this conclusion because it seemed everyone who HAD been diagnosed with this condition had said that the only way they got diagnosed is when the doctors ruled everything else out. I've also been told there is no sure way to properly diagnose "non-bacterial prostatitis."

So for the past 5 years I've have tried everything under the sun to get some relief with no progress really whatsoever. I've just found ways to temporarily cope with the symptoms such as taking hot sitz baths, avoiding caffeine, spicy foods, alcohol and things of that nature. My symptoms are frequent urination, incomplete emptying of bladder, sensation of having to urinate immediately, and weak stream. I have those symptoms all the time. Others I've had are painful ejaculation, lower back pain, and pain in the penis. The second set of symptoms I rarely have, but do on occasion.

Anyway, I know I wrote quite a bit but just wanted to give everyone my back story. This thing has stolen a lot of joy out of my life. I haven't dated a woman in almost 5 years just because of the embarrassment and tremendous amount of stress this condition has brought on my life. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house because I don't want to be away from a bathroom. I'm going to be 28 in about a month and I just wish I could find some answers so I can get back to my normal life again. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this.

02/27/2012 10:06 AM
Saucer
Group Leader

I hope you were able to read some of the older posts on this forum. So many people have had your exact symptoms. Many, including myself, have been told there was no bacterial infection involved. Doctors told me that, but when I bought a urinalysis kit at the drug store it showed the presence of infection. Antibiotics (Bactrim) didn't really start helping me right away. I was on Bactrim for 9 months. Gradually things got better. It was two steps forward & one back. After a lengthy period I became pain free for longer and longer lengths of time.

The way it was explained to me is that the prostate gland is enclosed in a sheath that keeps antibiotics from easily getting inside to the extent needed for a quick cure. They can get inside but it takes a longer period of time to work. Meanwhile, the infectious bacteria linger in your bladder and urethra thus reinfecting the prostate. So, to prevent this it is essential to make sure your bladder empties completely every time you urinate. This, along with the antibiotics and other things, prevents the stagnation. I was told that this reinfection can be avoided by drinking cranberry juice. The cranberry juice does not fight the infection but coats the urinary tract & bladder making it difficult for bacteria to lodge themselves in there. I was also told, as you were to avoid coffee, carbonated drinks, spicy foods, alcohol, and a few other things that don't come to mind right now. I was told that by ejaculating often the infected semen is pushed out of the gland and replaced little by little with uninfected semen. A flushing out if you will. I was also prescribed a drug called Uroxatral which relaxes the bladder and helps it empty more completely. I did try acupuncture and herbs with no benefit.

I know there are other causes of our symptoms. Stress seems to be involved. Exercise is important. There are things that happen in the pelvic region that cause the pain and make it appear to be an infection.

I am not a doctor. The only advice I can give is to make sure you empty the bladder every time you urinate. Drink cranberry juice – about 8 oz daily at least. Get a Rx to help your bladder relax and perhaps something to make you relax. Drink lots of water. Exercise, especially your pelvic region. One thing is to squeeze your buttocks together and hold it for about 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat about 5 times in a row two or three times daily.

I hope you don't give up on finding a good urologist. I went to 2 different ones.

Please keep us posted on your progress and condition. Ask any questions you wish.

Saucer

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved