MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2009 11:15 PM

Diagnosis This Week - How to sort this out?

noone9

My family member is about 80 years old and in near perfect health - and now a prostate cancer diagnosis. His PSA went from 4+ all the time for years. One year ago, it jumped to 6+ and the doctor did not think too much about that. Now it is 9+, so he took Cipro to rule out infection and had a biopsy. The biopsy just came back with a Gleeson score of 8, and cancer was found in all 8 sample sites. On DRE, there is no palpable tumor or swelling. He has no urinary problems, but now says his tail bone has been hurting him some.

So his PSA is still relatively low, but his PSA velocity of increase in short period is high. His Gleeson score is bad, and in all sites - so the cancer is all over the prostate. But has it spread? Yes, he is going to have a bone scan and CT of lymph nodes.

Does this sound like a bad case? Thank you for any opinions.

05/03/2009 05:54 AM
mack1243

At this point I would do nothing. At 80 his chance of a death by cancer does not out weight his chance of dying from natural causes. Ask the Doc what he thinks.

05/03/2009 03:49 PM
noone9

Thank you for your response. The doctor says he is at an awkward age for the reason you suggest. But the type of cancer is aggressive and otherwise his health is great. He is definitely scheduled to have the radiation therapy 5 times a week for 6 weeks. I guess we just have to hope it has not spread to his bones or other organs.

05/04/2009 03:48 AM
mack1243

Try wheat grass. It helped me. You need to juice him at least 4 oz a day. When his BMs don't smell bad, the wheat grass is working and you can reduce the frequency. Usually takes two months. It worked for me. I hope it works for your family member?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved