MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2012 06:46 AM

Attempt #3 For Removal Tomorrow!

PCSeattle

Last year, I had a brain aneurysm a week before the surgery, so had to recover from that. A month ago, I was 30 minutes into the surgery and it aborted when my heart stopped and needed CPR. Tomorrow is attempt #3 to have the robot take it out once and for all!

I want to recover and be done with this long term risk once and for all while I am still a youngster.

I am on the liquid diet today and I will let you know soon how this one goes and how fast I can returning to running!

PCSeattleW00t

01/18/2012 06:59 AM
hollywoodmark
hollywoodmarkPosts: 867

Best of luck, PCS. Your being a runner will definitely help you heal faster and the surgery go more easily (although you have had your share of surprises, haven't youSmile?).

Don't hurry the running once you're home. Take it easy and enjoy the indolence of your rehab. Let your family and friends spoil you.

01/18/2012 07:20 AM
canadianlyme
canadianlyme  

God bless you.

You deserve a break.Wink

01/18/2012 07:29 AM
paperplane

They say third time is a charm, hoping you have a textbook surgery and recovery. I see you have snow in Seattle, another reason not to be running today Wink Good luck, I know we are all pulling for you.

01/18/2012 08:57 AM
kapm
kapm  

Totally agree with hollywood- let your family and friends spoil you!

01/18/2012 04:02 PM
RickRed40
RickRed40Posts: 865

PC,

I see this often on the board, men wanting life to return to normal as quickly as possible. Here's the thing, your internal plumbing is going to be taken apart and put back together in a different way. The surgical re connections are FRAGILE.

If you decide to rush things before medical approval, you risk tearing apart those new connections.

The affect this would have on your life is living the rest of your life with a permanent catheter.

My advice-don't be in a rush for anything. Take all the time necessary to heal.

01/18/2012 04:18 PM
PCSeattle

Something I have been worried about...how bad is it to have a catheter for a week after the surgery? Can I walk around at all? Is it painful?

PC

01/18/2012 04:27 PM
MsSnick24
MsSnick24  
Group Leader

Everyone is different (you'll get tired of hearing that!). My husband had no pain with the catheter and was talking hour long walks in the neighborhood 4 days after surgery. He didn't appreciate the massive leaking after the cath came out, and by six months, he was ready to ask for one to go back in.

Others have discomfort with the cath. All very individual. You will want pain meds available for bladder spasms.

Best of luck to you.

01/18/2012 05:37 PM
RickRed40
RickRed40Posts: 865

PC

A couple of thoughts. First given your past medical hx do NOT let them pressure you into leaving after 1 night in the hospital. Given your history of serious complications, I suggest you stay a minimum of 2 nights, possibly longer.

My catheter was in for 10 days, many Doc's take it out in 7. I'm a stomach sleeper and could not sleep in a bed, I preferred a reclining chair.

Your pain level should be under control before you leave the hospital. I suggest you think about prescriptions for pain, bladder spasms, and for sleep if you think you'll have trouble falling asleep at home. If you have trouble in the hospital, you may have trouble at home. I wanted sleeping meds for the entire time my catheter was in. I slept great all 10 nights.

Post edited by: RickRed40, at: 01/18/2012 05:37 PM

01/19/2012 06:01 AM
hollywoodmark
hollywoodmarkPosts: 867

My turn. I think the cath is more an inconvenience than anything else. I had a bit of discomfort from it now and then, but for the most part it just got in the way. I got pretty inventive at hanging the bag from anything nearby. I remember cooking while hanging it on a cupboard door and then having to move it to another door as I moved about the kitchen. I felt like a dog on a leashSmile.

I had heard that the pain upon taking it out was really bad, but it was such a relief to be rid of it that I don't even remember. You'll be OK.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved