MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/17/2011 04:48 AM

Now what?!!

MrMike007
MrMike007  

It has been a while since I have posted here and I wanted to update y'all on my progress. It has been over 2 1/2 years since my surgery and my latest visit with my Urologist was excellent with my PSA at 0.02. Although inside I didn't feel quite right. It was something I just couldn't put my finger on. I was at work last Monday and had to use the bathroom. I went and when I finished peeing, I zipped up and went to wash my hands when I realized that I was leaking and I couldn't stop it.

I felt like I had finished, but why was I leaking. While standing behind a stack of boxes, I told my boss that I had an emergency at home and would be back in 30 minutes. I dashed home to change my underwear and jeans and returned to work in under 30 minutes (I live about 10 minutes away). I am mindful of what had happened everytime I go and it has not repeated itself since. A fluke, maybe?

I am considering keeping a change of clothes in the truck for now on...just in case it happens again. I wanted to call my Urologist and ask the question of why it happened, but he'll want me to make an appointment and go in to see him. Maybe I had something inside me (a bug?)that was affecting me? If it happens again, I'll call the doctor.

09/18/2011 06:46 AM
hollywoodmark
hollywoodmarkPosts: 867

At nearly 3 years post-op, I still have occasional "surprises." Usually not a lot of urine but a little leak now and then. And the post-peeing dribbling is much worse for me since the surgery. I have to give myself time to make sure it's all out before I re-zip. Otherwise I'm in trouble.

But yeah, if you're worried, certainly see your urologist.

04/21/2012 06:02 AM
MrMike007
MrMike007  

It has been about 8 months since that incident and during that time, I have decided to go back to doing Kegel exercises several times a week. I have seen an improvement in bladder control and I have had no incidents since then. I also make sure that I have emptied myself as much as possible as I may have been in a hurry that time. I just happen to bump into my urologist at the grocery store one evening and I took the chance to ask him a quick question about my incident and he agreed with me that doing some Kegel exercises from time to time is a definite help to controlling my bladder. Bladder control is good!

04/21/2012 07:42 AM
paperplane

What an opportune set of posts, I just had my own dribble on the way to the bathroom. I am 6 months out. PSA undetectable but still experiencing similar events. I have occasional leaks as Mark described so need to wear a pad which could last about two days (I usually change it daily for hygiene) I was doing my Kegels (2 sets of 10 per day) until 2 weeks ago when I went on vacation and forgot to do them and in the process noticed I did better without them, but maybe after this morning maybe I need to be somewhere between the two. I need a pad when I sleep. Post peeing is the worst for leaks also, I need to make very sure I am totally emptied. I spoke to my urologist about all this a couple days ago. He said the post peeing had to with relaxing the pelvic floor to urinate and still being relaxed when done ad not being completely voided. I notice I have much stronger stream when peeing than ever before, not surprising but no one mentioned this before. He was surprised I was not doing better with leakage and was still using a pad; he thought I should be doing better, I wish I were. Right now I am just frustrated and venting. Do I go back to doing some Kegels? am I doing too many? am I doing them wrong? I have to keep present to the fact that I am PC free and the pads work great and I am in the process of healing.

04/22/2012 02:45 PM
hollywoodmark
hollywoodmarkPosts: 867

I think regular Kegeling is a good long-term strategy, PP. Whenever I get lazy or am dragged out of my routine and don't do them for a while, my leaking get worse. For me, doing 1 set of 20 squeezes--held 10 seconds each--twice a day seems to do the job. Others might need more.

Doing them correctly is key. You can hurt yourself squeezing too hard to squeezing the wrong muscles. There are lots of good sites on the Web offering instruction, especially those affiliated with medical institutions. Sites that teach Kegeling as a way to postpone ejaculation, I think, are to be taken a bit less seriously.

Post edited by: hollywoodmark, at: 04/22/2012 02:46 PM

12/22/2012 02:34 PM
MrMike007
MrMike007  

It has been 4 years since my surgery and I am happy to report that I am still cancer free! A really good feeling! I still have the rare bout of dribbling after peeing and I do make sure that I am empty before zipping up. The only thing that bothers me a little is having to get up during the night to pee since it takes me quite a while to fall back to sleep again. In spite of my complaints about it, my urologist doesn't seem concerned about it. It is becoming a bit frustrating...

12/25/2012 07:14 PM
hidelight

Hi Paperplane,

I am in the same time line as you . I had RP about 7.5 months back. Incontinence is still troubling. I have the intensity of leak depending on the time of the day.

-Till 1PM, it is very less; only stress incontinency i.e. while coughing ,sneezing etc.

-From then on leak gradually increases.

-The worest thing is at night. I get thirsty & drink water; then get up to throw it out! Has anbody has this experience? Any suggestion to reduce bed wetting at night.

Another issue is how much Kegel one has to do. All sites say over doing is counter productive. I have 10sec on &10sec off 10 times-one unit. and repeat, thuough out the day so that I do about 6-7 units per day? Is it too much or too less? As seen in some post I hold Pelvic mussle at25-50% during my early morning walk.

I donot have any dripping after peeing. I used to have but after following the following procedure it is practically nil

-after peeing tighten and relax pelvic mussle a few times till nothing comes out.After that a few times massage penis (as in mast). The whole exercise is lengthy I have to pee in a toilet,not in the urinal. But it works for me.

For me at 75 the recovery may be slow and ED may be permenent. What is your age?

Guys please share your experience

Good luck

Hidelight

Post edited by: hidelight, at: 12/27/2012 03:49 PM

12/27/2012 09:40 AM
johnny99

Maybe you were over tired and stressed that will do it.

johnny

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved