MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/01/2011 05:53 AM

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF I DIDN'T KNOW

tony04
tony04  

I was just talking to my wife,this time last year new yrs day we were sitting home with a bit of a hangover from new yrs eve party.I was fit healthy & happy not a care in the world i didn't realize in two wks time my life would change forever when i went to the Doc for a flu shot only to find i had PC.On this day last year i was unaware i had cancer growing inside me i felt great no symptoms.I often wonder what would have happened if i never found out i had PC would i get sick if so when?

Some times i think would i have been better not knowing

because this year has been one of constant worry and surgery and i see no end to it my life was much better before i knew.

01/01/2011 06:41 AM
Ern
Ern  
I'm an Advocate

My dad died from the bone cancer that comes after the PC spreads. Be very happy you found it. Consider last new year the best one you have ever had. We are the lucky ones Tony, don't ever forget that.

01/01/2011 08:21 AM
RickRed40
RickRed40Posts: 863

I can relate to what you are saying. This New Years Eve, I still consider myself healthy and maybe cancer free. I have a biopsy Jan 20th. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. As I read your post, my heart went out to you. A radical change in your life and world view occurs when you move from a healthy state to a person with cancer. I'm going to suggest something that may sound strange, but I believe it. What's most harmful to your life right now isn't the surgery, isn't the treatment, nor is it a diagnosis of prostate cancer. Here's what's most harmful:

because this year has been one of constant worry and surgery and i see no end to it my life was much better before i knew.

It's what's going on between your ears. Grieving and saying goodbye to your old healthy life is painful and necessary to get through to the other side. You"re still looking in the rear view mirror at the life you had before you knew.

The other piece of what you said that will do you in and maybe worse for you than the cancer itself is constant worry. In Prov 13:12 it says Hope deferred makes the heart sick

So does constant worry. That's as big an issue that you must deal with as the cancer, or you will

miss out on the life you can life as a cancer survivor, for however long that is. Talk to people, get support, don't go this alone, which is something men are famous for doing.

In the moment Prostate Cancer has not only invaded your prostate, it's invaded your mind, taking away your ability to enjoy the life you have. It doesn't always have to be that way.

Post edited by: RickRed40, at: 01/01/2011 08:25 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved