MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/12/2010 04:09 PM

Prostate Cancer Advise

trucker
trucker  

Hi I'm a newbie need a bit of advise don't get to talk to many people no wife or family I'm a trucker on the road most of the time no real home a real loner.

I'm 62 yrs old diagnosed in Feb 2010 PSA 9 Gleason 7 had prostatectomy in April this yr 3 mth PSA 0.03 6 mth PSA 0.03 what i would like to know as i don't talk much to Doc is with them numbers how do the members think I'm going.The other thing is i never had a bone scan as Doc said with the numbers i have the PSA would be higher if spread what do you guys think.trucker

11/12/2010 04:13 PM
srciaran
srciaran  

Hi Trucker, welcome to the forum. I'm not a doctor, but I know that doctors like to see .1 or lower when it comes to post-op PSA. That said, your PSA level is not rising, so that's a good sign. Unfortunately, I think it's a wait-and-see situation. If you go for a year with no change in PSA, it's probably a good thing.

11/12/2010 04:29 PM
trucker
trucker  

If i understand you .1 and I'm 0.03 at 6mth I'm way below that.Am i right also no incontinence at all can get erection but nothing to boast about is this normal i don't take any meds.

11/12/2010 04:39 PM
srciaran
srciaran  

No incontinence and any kind of erection at 6 months is good! Others here will tell you that it took a lot longer than that for them. Here's some information on post-op PSA levels: http://tinyurl.com/2epyfwh

11/12/2010 06:27 PM
tony04
tony04  

Look at it this way....Your original PSA 9 is like 9.00 dollars and you current one is like 3 pennies...You're a poor man now when it comes to PSA, which in this case is very very good.

welcome, and let me say right up front as a fellow PC patient that it sounds like you have very little to worry about, but perhaps a little more to learn about PSA testing so that you are not unnecessarily anxious about your test results. I bet you were hoping that you were done learning about prostate cancer, and PSA, and everything else with what you've had to go through; I hope that my comments here are helpful...

Someone made reference to another thread recently posted recently by another newcomer who was also confused (and worried) about not being at "zero PSA." Here's what I wrote:

There is no such thing as zero PSA in a living, breathing man. Most men without a prostate, however, have very low levels of PSA, and in some cases they have such a low level that it is below the most sensitive PSA test's lower detection limit (LDL). The "ultra-sensitive" PSA test has a LDL of 0.01ng/mL (some lesser used ultra-sensitive PSA tests have an even lower LDL). So, <0.01 ng/mL is the test result for an ultra-sensitive PSA test which was below the lower detection limit. The "standard" PSA test, on the other hand, has a LDL of 0.1 ng/mL.

There are sources in the body besides the prostate which produce low levels of PSA, including neurovascular bundles. These sometimes produce small amounts of PSA right around the ultra-sensitive test lower detection limits, so sometimes the results jump around a little right around that low level simply because of the natural variation of the small amounts produced. Of course, if there are remaining cancer cells, they too will produce amounts of PSA which will increase over time.

The notion of "zero PSA" is somewhat of a misnomer which sometimes causes anxiety in men (like you, trucker) until they learn these facts. Low levels might be considered by some to be essentially "zero", or functionally "zero", but the threshold in one person's opinion might be different than the threshold in another person's opinion. Your example is very illustrative: is "zero" less than 0.01? less than 0.05, which is what you had heard? (this was in reference to the earlier poster's question; but, the point is that if you ask 3 different people (non-medical professionals) their "opinion" on the term "zero PSA" you are likely to get 3 different answers) less than 0.1? It can be a confusing term, and you won't likely hear a medical professional tell you that you have "zero PSA."

Post edited by: tony04, at: 11/12/2010 06:36 PM

11/13/2010 05:13 AM
hollywoodmark
hollywoodmarkPosts: 869

62 years old and you're getting usable erections at 6 months post-op WITHOUT meds? Trucker, you are the poster boy for prostatectomy! You must have had a great doc and been a very obedient patient. Do you have any pre- or post-op tips for others facing the knife?

11/13/2010 05:23 AM
trucker
trucker  

Yeah don't get married sleep in your truck and try &try to shag everything

at the truck stop until you get it going.

11/13/2010 10:02 PM
MsSnick24
MsSnick24  
Group Leader

This made me laugh, but I'm not sharing your advice with my husband! We celebrate others' success, so 'hat's off to ya'.

11/13/2010 11:50 PM
trucker
trucker  

Had the op on Friday walked out Sat had enough no beer or cigarettes got a full load and left Mon with a full load.Took catheter bag of and taped some long tube to it and put it thru a hole in the truck floor.A Week later i met this old gal who said she used to be a nurse she gave me the mail how to let balloon down.So i had a gut full of beer and jumped in the truck that night & pulled the catheter out FANTASTIC ready for action.On the first dozen attempts no luck but now it works OK not as good as before but i will keep practicing.If you want your hubby can come on a few trips with me and i will get him firing.I know all the girls well i get a discount let me know and i will swing by and pick him up.trucker

11/14/2010 12:08 AM
MsSnick24
MsSnick24  
Group Leader

You're funny, Trucker, and quite a rugged guy. My dad was a trucker, in Alaska, and my first husband, and now my brother and my nephew. I'll PM you to continue this thread. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved