MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/20/2008 11:01 AM

Post surgery questions/concerns

bcarro6

Hi,

I am 62 years old and had robotic surgery on June 10th 2008. I have a couple of questions for the group regarding my recovery.

> Bladder control. What an annoying situation. I find that one day I will have 90% control and the next about 40%. It has been about six weeks since the operation and 5 weeks since the cathedar was removed. Am I expecting too much in that time period? Any recommendations on what to do or take that might help the problem?

>Numbness in my left leg. I have about a 3 inch wide strip that runs from my thigh to my knee that is mildly numb. Has any experienced something similiar?

My email is: pa12@wildblue.net

08/13/2008 04:28 AM
ubedarn

Hello,

First,did your urologist/surgeon tell you that the nerves which control continence were spared and that you would regain full control?

If so,it's a must that you do your Kiegel Exercises to retrain the pelvic floor muscles and hasten recovery.

Tony

08/13/2008 09:10 AM
bcarro6

The urologist did in fact inform me that my neves were spared. I religiously do my daily Kegels. I may be expecting too much after only 8 weeks. I find that I am somewhat "good" in the morning and early afternoon. Late afternoon it seems the dam breaks. I would say that I have experienced slight improvement but nothing like I had hoped.

Thanks!

08/14/2008 01:54 PM
ubedarn

Hi again,

BTW,I had my proceedure on 7/29 and the Foley has been out for a week.I stay dry all night and like you,get some leakage in late afternoon.It's too early for me to call any improvement.

One thing I have done in late afternoon that helps leakage is frequent 'pit stops'.Whenever I stand up from the tv,pc,etc I check in at the bathroom even if I don't feel like I have to go and something invariably comes out.

Just a WAG but make sure you're doing your Kegels correctly and more then one set.I'm doing three sets,morning noon and evening.

I found this site helpful in how to do them and make sure they're done correctly.

http://sexuality.about.com/od/anatomyresponse/ht/ kegelsmen.htm

Good luck,Tony

Post edited by: ubedarn, at: 08/14/2008 14:01

08/14/2008 02:08 PM
bcarro6

Tony,

Thanks for the input. Please give your direction in regard to the proper Kegel excersie.

Thanks!

Bob

08/14/2008 03:11 PM
ubedarn

Bob,

This is what my urologist/surgeon told me/wrote down verbatim about using the correct muscle:

"As you urinate, intentionally stop the flow of urine. Do this several times until you can feel the muscle you are using to stop the flow.Then do sets of these several times per day."

As to the way I do mine,I'm basically doing what it says in the link I posted in my last message.

Tony

08/29/2008 11:19 PM
sailor
sailorPosts: 9

Caffine and liquor cause me to leak more.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved