MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/07/2008 07:03 AM

Hi, I'm new here too

xMandiex

It took me long enough, but I finally sucked it up and went to a therapist. She's diagnosed me with PTSD and social anxiety.

I've never been in a war or anything like that, so I can't help feeling horribly guilty for having PTSD. My sexual assaults were small in nature - not considered a full rape, but apparently still in the realm of sexual assault - so I just sort of feel like I don't deserve to have PTSD.

I'm trying to get over that conception, here's hoping.

11/07/2008 07:29 AM
countrymouse
countrymouse  
VIP Member

Hi xMandiex, I don't think that you should feel guilty for having PTSD. it is nothing that you can have control over. I'm no expert, but any sexual assault is still an assault, and you indicate that there were multiple incidences. We are here to help. Welcome

11/07/2008 07:56 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Theres nothing to feel guilty about, PTSD isnt just a military problem, and CM is right... an assult is an assult.

That being said, welcome to the group!

11/07/2008 10:38 AM
trent
trentPosts: 15

NO ONE deserves to have PTSD, its not like some kind of medal that we have won. sexual assult, rape, war, deaths, what ever it is that caused it we were all been a part of something horrable! Its the way our minds handle things that bother us. I hope that you get the help that you are looking for on this sight!

11/07/2008 11:28 AM
xMandiex

I guess I just feel like I'm being all whiny, I mean I wasn't in anything truly horrible so I feel like I am just ... agh, I can't even put it into words.

I feel like I'm just being a whiner, when I should just suck it up. I'm glad to have found this website, I'll definitely be looking around all the other posts too.

Thanks for the welcome.

11/07/2008 12:18 PM
ThisBlows

Dont feel that way, your not being whiny. But I know how you feel. Theres a stigma attached to PTSD in the military, lets just say its not a career builder

11/07/2008 03:28 PM
dreamsofinsomnia
dreamsofinsomnia  
VIP Member

I understand how you feel

i was shocked when they told me that i was ptsd

i had thought that what happened to me as a child had been handled and was no big deal it is only after i really started dealing with it did the ptsd get better

you don't have to be in the military to have ptsd

i am a psy major and it just so happens this week we covered anxiety, stress and dissociation

so we just covered this section people get ptsd from-natural disaters, terrorism, accidents, sexual abuse, sexual assault, rape, childhood abuse, kidnapping, and any other event that is tramatic

so don't feel bad about the diagnosis and don't think of yourself as the label they give you

to often people are given a diagnosis and live to that diagnosis

don't let the diagnosis own you

11/07/2008 05:33 PM
sisters4life

Hi X when you get a chance go over to the treatment section and read the post on symptoms, causes, etc. I was never in service either most with PTSD weren't. Yes the ones who serve are more likely than others to be diagnosed with it, but it can happen to any one.

11/07/2008 05:36 PM
ThisBlows

Its not just a military disorder

11/07/2008 11:14 PM
xMandiex

I know it's not just a military disorder. But people like my cousins, who go to war and face true horror, can come back and be fine - and me, who was assaulted once as a child and twice as an adult... *I* get it? I feel kind of weak.

Fortunately my therapist thinks we'll be able to level me out within a couple of months. I'm pretty excited about that. I'm eager to see what life without the paranoia is like.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved