MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/12/2010 10:40 PM

Uncomfortable

carmensita
carmensitaPosts: 86

hello, i am new and i am unconfortable with my therapist's diagnosis. i never thought that this kind of thing could happen to me. it's been a year since i left an abusive relationship and i am sick and tired of taking it one day at a time. i have tried 4 different kind of anitdepressants, am currently on prozac, but may want to try some of these anxiety reducing drugs in addition. I really don't know anything about them and would like to know if there is something that has really made a difference in anyone's recovery? i am afraid i will always be this way, i don't even remember who i was before, but i have a daughter that needs me to get better already..Sad

08/13/2010 08:16 AM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

carmensita. Welcome to the group we are glad you are here. You can feel comfortable here with us. No need to be afraid. We and i are here to give you new hope. So you can be there for your self and for your daughter. You will be ok.

{{{{ BIG HUGS }}}} Scott

08/13/2010 08:30 AM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group. Sometimes a diagnosis is difficult to except. Diagnoses are only a way for the professional to group people that have similar symptoms. You might go to one doc and get one diagnosis and then ten minutes later go to another and get a different one. THe symptoms are what are being treated not the diagnosis. HTe diagnosis is just a label and labels are not whatr makes a person who they are.

As to meds that work for me, the generic welbutrin SR(perferably the purple ones, but diffinately not the yellow ones) works great for me. I do much better with the generic. Tried the real thing and tried generic and brand wellbutrin XL. None do as well as the generic SR. I take two 150mg in the morning and then 1 in the afternoon. THis is the best I have found for my depression this is the best course of meds.

For the anxiety I take 10 mg generic Celexa. I take it at bedtime and it helps me sleep better and then takes the edge off the rest of the day. I have very odd reactions to most meds (my primary has a three page list of meds that I cannot take)and therefore was extremely leary to even give the welbutrin a try. I hope this can help you in some way. Feel free to PM me anytime you want to talk.

Brenda

08/13/2010 01:21 PM
Midget53

I'm an Advocate

Carmensita: Welcome to the group. The members in this group are here to help you in anyway we can. I was on the internet 1 day and just for the heck of it thought I would do a search for support groups for PTSD. I found MDJ and this I can definitely say has been really good for me. It takes time to process all that has happened to us, but you will get better. As far as medications that have helped me I am on Ativan 0.5 mg three times per day, Buspar 15 mg 1/2 tablet twice daily, and Prozac 20 mg three times daily. I work in a doctor's office and have been told that the Prozac helps some with the anxiety. Stay strong and anytime you need help, someone on this site will be there for you. You'll be okay. Midget53

08/13/2010 02:52 PM
deputywife103
deputywife103  

Welcome to the group! You will find a lot of answers and support here, so jump right in if you feel comfortable! I take Geodon 160mg at night and something to help me sleep. The PTSD thing is a label, it's not who you are, so don't let it define you.

08/15/2010 05:25 PM
carmensita

Thank u all for making me feel welcome.Smile Smile

I can't wait for an appointment w my NEW psych. Unfortunetly I am more confused. Everyone seems t b on o very diff cocktail. I've tried welbutrin, cymbalta, n now Prozac. I don't feel very hopeful about this trial n error system of finding out what works best for u. I don't like taking drugs at all. I go t therapy, excursive, meditate, go to church, eat healthy, comply w my meeds, but nothing seems t work! It's so exhausting n frustration. How do I keep my nightmares at bay? How long before any of u felt improvement? I just want to feel stable for more than a day at a time...

08/15/2010 06:13 PM
jessika2hot
jessika2hot  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group, glad ur here with us! this is a great group and full of wonderful people here! if you ever need too talk im here! Smiles

08/16/2010 06:14 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

carmensita. Slow down. I see you are trying different meds and quite a few. Something caught my eye on your last post. You said you hate taking meds. And or drugs. I don't think you are giving them a chance to work. Meds do take time. You must be patient and it's frustrating to say the least. I believe you are confusing your body and mind of the changes in your meds too soon. I also see that you meditate. I as well meditate. If you know how to do it correctly it can have endless possibilities. With it i can be more open with my issues. There is hope carmensita. There is n old saying. And it's still on the top of my list of why i should never give hope. At first you don't succeed try try again. Stay focused, stay strong.

Scott

08/17/2010 05:13 AM
Midget53

I'm an Advocate

Carmensita: A lot of people don't like taking medications, but sometimes people have to. I too noticed in your last post that you don't like taking medications. I have more than 1 medically diagnosed condition and have to take the medicines for them. For me this is better than the pain, irritation, anger and the possibility of losing my life to take the drugs rather than not take them at all. Take time for yourself. My way of taking care of me, is taking 1 evening out of the wk and simply relaxing and doing for myself. When I was in therapy, my therapist and I figured this out, because I have a tendency to ignore things and stay busy in order to keep from acknowledging them. We did this as a way of keeping me from being suicidal. I do it at least once per wk now because I know it helps put things into perspective for me. Carmensita, it takes time to heal with some conditions and some of them you never heal completely from, you just find ways to deal with them and move on. Let me know what your psychiatrist says and please give the medications a change to take affect before you stop taking them. Midget53

08/17/2010 04:24 PM
carmensita

Thanks. I just get so frustrated.it's been over a year of meds not doing much for me. I'm sticking w them cuz I'm desperate. I will do anything t get my life back.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved