MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/29/2008 03:21 AM

Hi, new to THIS forun

Flaco73
Flaco73  

Hi.

Some of you may recognize me from the bipolar support group, or the self-injury group.

During my hospital(psych ward 2) stay last October, I unfortunately was assigned a very scary doctor. At a hearing, 3 days into a 14 day hold, the "divergenge of opinion," as the judge said, between this doctor and the staff, was big.

My opinion of this doctor, in a healthier state of mind, is the same, if not worse, but I understand, that it is less the bad doctor, than the system that allows them to be there.

If I can get one good thing from my experience, it is that this doctor kept repeating: "PTSD, you have PTSD, you are PTSD." Yes, a doctor did say the last part of that. Smile

She was right, though. I definitely have, and had then, PTSD. i broke my back in an elevator, 6 months prior to that hospital stay, and had a broken heart 6 months later.

it makes sense for me to be here

Post edited by: Flaco73, at: 08/29/2008 03:23

08/29/2008 03:27 AM
Buggafly
Buggafly  

Hi Flaco!

I do recognize you! Smile Welcome to the group!

08/29/2008 03:37 AM
Flaco73
Flaco73  

Thank You!

08/29/2008 04:53 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

I beleave Ive seen your screen name before in the BP form, welcome.

08/29/2008 09:34 AM
glory
glory  
VIP Member

Hi Flaco and welcome to the group. I am so glad you decided to join us. PTSD has been related to military members so often that we tend to forget that the cause is related to trauma, and not just war time memories. We have a discussion that lets you tell your story if you would like to. It gives us the oportunity to join you in suggesting ways to counteract the manifestations of your particular disorder. We are here to help each other and I know you will be an asset to this group.

08/29/2008 10:47 AM
sisters4life

Flaco glad you made it over to this board as well. My lord that dr sounds as crazy as some i have seen. Sorry to hear someone that was there to help you said something so wrong to you.

08/29/2008 10:52 AM
ThisBlows
ThisBlowsPosts: 1467

Yeah, Flaco, it does sound like that DR needs help herself.

08/31/2008 03:51 AM
Flaco73
Flaco73  

I found it very alarming, when I saw another doctor, for a consultation matter, with my lawyer, that HE didn't have the kindest words for this doctor either. For another doctor to ACTUALLY say something like that, is a testimony, to how bad this doctor in the hospital was. When I mentioned the name of the doctor in the hospital, he chuckled and called her "a piece of work," and a "primmadonna." I had just switched primary pdocs, at this same time. This same concultation doctor said my current doctor, is "excellent", and has a "great reputation." He was right about both.

I remember like it was yesterday, while in the hospital, phoning my gf at the time, to tell her, my stay had been extended to a 14 day hold. While at the same, I heard and saw, well within earshot, mean doctor lady, admonish a shocked staff, with : "I'm not gonna lose my job because of THAT guy." I wish I was hallucinating. I wish this person did not say this. I'm not the only one that has acknowledged the statement's existence.

What is the best way to put a stop to these warped and dangerous doctors?

I was too weak, to fight it at the time, though certain friends, said they would "take care of it," regarding reporting this person, because they too had witnessed alarming behaviour from said "doctor."

08/31/2008 10:01 AM
sisters4life

Flaco sadly this happens all to often with to many patients. I have been there myself. There isn't a whole lot we can do to stop them. My dr i have now admits he does not see many PTSD and other mental health issues like i have but he always consults with another dr before altering my meds. He is the only one that has ever admitted that to me. Others have treated me as a true mental case and made a legal drug addict of me until i got tired of it and changed dr's again. When i went back in to counseling again the other week, my counselor told me "i'm sorry so many you have turned to for help have hurt you more and made things worse on you." Sadly so many mental health issues are overlooked or like ptsd they are seen to be a military problem. Mental health care here in my state is so underfunded it's pitiful and we pay for it in the long run because dr's are not trained properly and have no idea how to treat it. SO they throw another pill at it.

08/31/2008 10:57 AM
glory
glory  
VIP Member

Flaco, unless a doctor has caused visible harm that changes your way of living, in other words blatant neglect or misconduct, nothing will be done. It's a shame that we can't somehow get these boobs out of medicine, but we have no recourse except to change doctors when we know the one we have is incompetent.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved