MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/24/2009 11:36 AM

panic attacts

taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

I need to know what to do when I get a flashback and than get a panic attacks. I want to do this right. I think I'm going to go through the workbook, I'm tired of being afraid of him. He haunts ny dreams and he wants to see me. I miss him I miss my dad but he's a monster and he's my dad. How do I get around the relationship we have. How do I make peace with it.

03/24/2009 12:18 PM
princess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

It takes time. Set some boundaries up. Take a break from seeing him if he stirs up bad memories. Through therapy and your workbook you should be able to work through this, but it takes time. Alot of my meds help me too. I am very med compliant and have not had a bad trigger/flashback in some time now. Maybe going to a pdoc and get some anti-anxiety med to help you through the bad panic attacks. For now, make sure you take care of yourself. You come first. Your safety and security should come first. Do what you can to keep you safe.

03/24/2009 07:32 PM
metalynn

What workbook are you using?

03/24/2009 11:32 PM
taurus

The Courage to Heal Workbook for Sexual Abuse for Women and Men. Believe me Im going to take it slow I'm to scared not do.I wouldn't have the courage if it wasn't for this group.Because I know I'm not alone.

03/25/2009 06:21 AM
metalynn

Are you also working on this with a counselor or doing this on your own?

03/25/2009 06:34 PM
taurus

I'm working on my own and with a therapist. But she wants me to read The Courage to Heal book first.

03/25/2009 06:49 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

taurus. It's a good book. My therapist recommended it to me as well. I found it to be very spiritual.

Scott

03/25/2009 07:07 PM
metalynn

I'm really glad to hear that you are working with a therapist. It is such hard stuff to deal with. I am in a sexual abuse support group that meets on a weekly basis. We also have a workbook (The PTSD Workbook) that we use. (Courage to Heal is also awesome)

Sometimes at group I want to take the book and conquer the whole thing at once just to get rid of the PTSD - but once we open the book and start our work - trying to get through a half of a page can feel like torture.

It's frustrating as hell!

Look for and celebrate your small victories. You deserve them.

Post edited by: metalynn, at: 03/25/2009 19:08

04/14/2009 10:54 AM
dreamsofinsomnia
dreamsofinsomnia  
VIP Member

you don't get around it

i had thought i could with my molester as a child but i found i was fooling myself

some people you just can't have a relationship with and you have to do what is best for you

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved