MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/20/2012 07:31 AM

Regaining suppressed memories(page 2)

leigha83
leigha83  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I usually write on the computer because I can type faster than I can write and sometimes my thoughts come so fast that I need to get them out or I will forget them before I can write them down on paper.

I could print them out after writing but I don't have a printer. Sad

05/20/2012 12:34 PM
Shayndel
Shayndel  

I talked to my therapist and doctor about regaining suppressed memories. My therapist said sometimes they can be reached through hypnotherapy and there are two different kinds, one is just relaxation and one is real hypnosis. I told my doctor (psychiatrist)that I am thinking about it. I had a phase when I wanted to get all my memories out, because I had some full flashbacks from drugs and some partial. He said that maybe it is better to leave my memories where they are. They are suppressed with a reason.

05/20/2012 12:59 PM
leigha83
leigha83  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Very true. I still lay awake at night wondering though..you know?

05/20/2012 02:22 PM
Shayndel
Shayndel  

Yee I don't like wondering. Some of my memories were only clues, I don't know which I hate more, my full flashbacks or those. I have to deal with full flashbacks and the "clues ones" makes me nervous.

05/20/2012 02:35 PM
leigha83
leigha83  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yeah clues suck..I hate this whole PTSD thing in general. It's like one minute I was doing ok and then I just overloaded or something..flashbacks, crying, being really paranoid,angry, fear of being intimate. I know I should have dealt with most of this before and It wouldn't have gotten so bad but I guess I felt that if I could stuff everything down it would go away and I would just move on. BIG MISTAKE!!!

05/21/2012 09:00 AM
Shayndel
Shayndel  

It always haunts you back if you don't deal with it. At first, first 6 months i tried to ignore it, but it didn't work. Therapy is not always pleasant, but it is a safe place for your feelings and trauma, so if you left, I would say going back to therapy would help.

05/21/2012 09:17 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i just started back to therapy, after about a year away from it, had my 1st already, felt good chi with my therapist, i had anxiety before i went, when i use to go i would play games with them, i feel different this time. the reason i get on mdj, it purges me. reading others stories, i get triggers. otherwise writing in diary is hard, my mind goes blank.

05/21/2012 02:58 PM
leigha83
leigha83  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

No I didn't leave. She is just so booked that it takes awhile to get in to see her.

I put my therapy off and shoved my emotions down for 10+ years so I really need to get it out....

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved