MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/02/2011 12:47 PM

wife of a spouse who is diagnosed with ptsd 4yrs

imagen210

I just need some answers or help my husband a former Iraq vet was diagnosed with ptsd about 4 years ago in that time he saw a therapist for about the first year whom prescribed him meds and also had us do a couple therapy at our local VA. About a year after she was no longer a therapist at the VA hospital and my husband was given another therapist whom he never saw. Since then he has not been back and only goes for his normal check ups when its needed. He now seems to be getting worse his anger is getting worse if our children do something little he will flip out, he hates to leave the house unless needed. His night tremors have came back also I just don't know what to do anymore and need some answers on how I could possibly be there for him. I have begged him to go back and speak with someone again but he refuses and also refuses to take his meds he said they make him zombie like. I have been searching the web for a spouse forum but it has not been successful.

Post edited by: imagen210, at: 04/02/2011 12:48 PM

04/02/2011 01:44 PM
Midget53

I'm an Advocate

imagen210: You have definitely come to the right place to find out answers about PTSD. Welcome to the group. We have in the group people who have PTSD and family and friends of people with PTSD. I myself always feel not only is the person who has PTSD it's victim but their friends and family are victims as well. I spent 3 years in counseling learning how to deal with my PTSD and was told by my counselor that I have had or have every syptom (18) of PTSD a person can have. I've researched PTSD on the Internet and have also went to bookstore websites looking for books about PTSD. I have found at www.borders.com 3 books that you might be interested in reading. I have already asked some of my family if they will read 2 of the books and both of them have said yes because they can't really understand what the PTSD has done to me. The names of the books are as follows: The Many Faces of PTSD, Shock Waves: A Practical Guide to Living with a Loved One's PTSD by Cynthia Orange, and About the PTSD: A Spouses's Perspective How to Survive in a World of PTSD. If you go to Borders, you may be able to find other books about PTSD that would interest you. The 1st 2 books give 12 case studies of 12 people from different walks of life and try to explain in a manner that others can understand what the PTSD has done to their family and friends. The last 1 I haven't read since my PTSD is caused by having found my husband dead from a heart attack on our living room couch when coming home from work 1 night less than 6 months after losing my mother to leukemia. By the way, if you are a member of AARP, you can go to the AARP website and order the books from Borders through the AARP website and get a discount on certain books at Borders. We're really glad you are here. Just sit back and listen until you are comfortable talking and when you are ready to talk any member in this group will do anything they can to help you. Hope this information helps you. Midget53

Post edited by: Midget53, at: 04/02/2011 01:46 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved