Ask a Question
11/21/2007 03:05 AM

Welcome to the Post Traumatic Stress Support Group

roy
roy  
Admin
I'm an Advocate

Hello,

Welcome to the Post Traumatic Stress Support Group.

This Support Group is a comfort place for family members and friends to share and ask questions regarding PTSD.

Feel free to introduce yourself, ask your questions and be around people who are in your spot.

We'll be happy to hear your thoughts on how to make this Post Traumatic Stress Support Group better.

Best,

roy

11/21/2007 06:13 PM
eklord
eklord  

Hi,

I am new, and am in need of support.

Elizabeth

12/05/2007 10:46 AM
bipolarmomma
bipolarmomma  

Hello Elizabeth.

Welcome

12/22/2007 05:34 AM
MistyNoeller

Good Morning Elizabeth,

Welcome to the group and to the community. Can you tell us a little more about what's going on?

Misty

01/23/2008 09:13 PM
eklord
eklord  

I have been through a lot. Sorry for the delay in writing on here. I was Raped by my neighbor with a date rape drug, which I believe to be GHB in October. My support network is growing daily, and I still trying to get back into the swing of things ever since that night. In fact, my flashbacks are a blur of what happened, and sometimes they make no sense at all. I have PTSD and many other disorders, but the root of all of them is anxiety. I constantly rely on the Lord, and many people have mentioned to me in the past five months that I have made significant progress, but I know that I have a long ways to go. I sure could use your prayers.

03/20/2008 03:23 PM
shadowmedic
shadowmedic  

good afternoon everyone-

forgive me if this doesn't flow very well, but i don't normally post on forums. i am a 33 year old male who has been suffering from PTSD for approximately the last 5 years due to military service. i currently work as a combat medic for the army and am facing a third tour to iraq very soon. i have been to a military psychiatrist who has diagnosed me with anxiety, depression, flashbacks, hypervigilance and of course ptsd. i have been taking two medications, one being an anti-depressant and the other classified as an anti-psychotic drug. i come to you all for wisdom, guidance and maybe some helpful techniques for dealing with "the skeletons that are in my closet." i'd appreciate any help you could give me. respectfully, SM

03/20/2008 08:57 PM
MistyNoeller

Hi ShadowMedic,

My name is Misty and I also suffer from PTSD (just recently realized and diagnosed). The majority of mine comes from childhood trauma, but also from the sexual harassment I dealt with while I was in the service many years ago. I have suffered from PTSD for years without realizing it as I simply did things to combat the feelings inside without realizing at that point that I was having a reaction to previous trauma. For example, I've suffered from night terrors since I was about five years old. Over the years, I recognized the pattern of terrors and simply made it a point to sleep with a light on in my room, not realizing I was actually having a reaction to anything.

There are many things that can be done about dealing with the symptoms and horrors of PTSD, but it is a struggle and can be difficult at best, especially as you are preparing to head back to the sand box. It's difficult to give advice on here in such a situation, but the best advice I can give you in this situation - I counsel others for PTSD here in NC (I live in Marine territory) - is to find someone - a therapist, friend, family member, or even a perfect stranger willing to give a good ear - who you trust or feel comfortable with to talk to about what you're feeling and going through without being afraid to be completely honest without holding back. I know it's hard, but talking about what you're thinking and feeling, especially as you prepare for another deployment, is probably the best thing for you as it helps you to bring your problems to the surface (that's half the battle) and deal with them head on, taking away their power.

I hope that this has helped, even just a little bit. I don't take meds for my issues as I deal with my illnesses holistically, but if the meds are working for you and helping you in some way, I would also recommend possibly finding alternative and/or supplemental means - vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other therapies - that will enhance the effectiveness of the medications to help you control your symptoms while you work through the issues that have brought about the PTSD and the symptoms associated with it. Also, never forget that you are in charge of your treatment and you have every right to find alternative treatments if you feel you aren't getting the best treatment possible as well as you also have the right to tell your therapist or doctor that you don't feel comfortable with a treatment or treatment plan they are suggesting or offering. Taking control is hard at times, but in the long run, it will help you regain control of your life.

If there is anything else that I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me on here or via private message, or even email away from the forum at mistynoeller@gmail.com. Again, I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in your recovery as well as your deployment. Take care and always remember to never give up...you can and will beat this. Good luck to you.

Misty

03/20/2008 09:16 PM
shadowmedic
shadowmedic  

wow misty-

i am completely speechless. all i know to say is....thank you so much for your advice, and concern. its not often that you link up with someone who seems that they genuinely do understand. thanks again. respectfully, SM

03/21/2008 06:18 AM
MistyNoeller

ShadowMedic,

Thank you so much for the compliment and you are more than welcome. I'm glad that I could help and I am always available for anyone that wants or needs my help. Hang in there and together we can and will get through this. I absolutely do genuinely care and understand and it makes me feel good that it's obvious. Take care of yourself and I will talk to you soon.

Misty Smile

03/21/2008 01:00 PM
shadowmedic
shadowmedic  

you are definately welcome. i dont know whether you are religious in any sense, but i hope that you are Blessed a thousand fold for your help.

respectfully, SM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved