MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/29/2012 07:51 AM

PTSD or Bipolar disorder?

Desperate
Desperate  

I have an important question. My wife is diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I have my doubt. Her moods (up and down) fluctuate often in response to clear events of triggers, which makes me suspect that she has PTSD and not Bipolar Disorder. The $1000 question is this: How can you distinguish between Bipolar Disorder and PTSD?

Post edited by: Desperate, at: 12/29/2012 07:53 AM

12/29/2012 03:39 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Desperate welcome. That's a hard question to answer since we here are not doctors. But i would continue to get other opinions and not just rely one just what your own GP said. It very hard to diagnose both since there both have most of the same symptoms. I would also suggest to learn about them both so you can more support your wife. There are many great books on both PTSD and Bipolar. I hope you find the right diagnosis so you and your wife can begin to heal.

( Hope To Cope ) Scott

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved