MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/13/2011 10:39 AM

Personal Introduction

PrideofBdos
PrideofBdos  

Hi everyone!

I go by the tag PrideofB'dos which is short for Pride of Barbados. As you may guess, I am a native of Barbados, where I am a Science teacher at a secondary school.

I also have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been successfully treated for 16 years. I have been able to maintain my career through out my years of treatment,a fact of which I am proud.

Over the years I had gained a significant amount of weight; 260lbs at my heaviest. I have lost about 45lbs; but I have come to realise that to maintain a healthy lifestyle relies largely on how you view yourself and life in general.

I admit that myself confidence has risen considerably since I have lost some weight, but I know I will never be a size 2 and I want to apprieciate myself for whom I am regardless.

I have spent a lot of time over the years being negative and not apprieciating life. I had let the mundane cloud my thinking and ate my frustrations.

I want to be content with who I am regardless of what situation I find myself.

Thanks for welcoming me into the group.

Wink

08/13/2011 10:57 AM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
VIP Member

Hello and Welcome.

We are all here for a variety of reasons and I applaud you for joining in. I also think that you are an inspiration to have worked right through some very large problems.

Glad to have you here.

Sue

08/13/2011 01:56 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group PrideofBdos,

I was diagnosed with Bi-PolarII, GAD, & treatment resistant depression 7 years ago.

I too gained a lot of weight, I was 250lbs.

I've lost about 25-30. Have been treated pretty good with meds and mostly stable for a while. This group has been a blessing to me, I hope you get a lot out of it. Laughing

Rick

08/14/2011 07:51 AM
happycampc

PrideofBdos, Welcome to the group, so happy to have you here. You have accomplished quite a bit and should be applauded. I know you will get alot out of this group, many things you can identify with. If you need anything or have any questions let me know if I can help in any way. Ann Smile

08/15/2011 07:57 AM
Clarita
Clarita  
VIP Member

Warm welcome to you PrideofBdos- awesome that you have joined us. Salute you for all your achievements. Fantastic that you come from Barbados, too Smile!!

Lean on us all here especially the Group Leaders.

You have the right dynamic spirit so feel you will accomplish all your goals, for sure!

Think you will like the post, How to Love The Skin You Are In- over in Self Esteem Resources- check it out.

Browse all the Forums- great posts from not just the GL's yet from many fantastic members here.

We look forward to getting to know you as well as support you.

Gentle welcoming hugs, love Clarita Smile(GL alongside John, Ann, Karen & Doris) xooxoooxooxSmile Silly

Dolphin smiles from the UK to You in Barbados Smile

08/15/2011 03:28 PM
Dit
Dit  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome, hope you will find the support you are looking for, this is a very supportive group i'm fairly new here myself. Congrats on your weight loss that is really fantastic.

08/18/2011 11:23 AM
PrideofBdos
PrideofBdos  

Thank for welcoming me to the group. I have gotten some useful tip since I was here.

08/18/2011 11:31 AM
shyeyes
shyeyesPosts: 568

Hi and welcome to the group. It sounds like you are successful despite your illness. That's great on losing weight and gaining self confidence. Never forget though, a woman's worth is no measured by her dress size. I look forward to chatting with you! I wish you the best!

08/18/2011 11:38 AM
DorisAnn
DorisAnn  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi--Welcome to the group! Wink

Congrates on losing the 45pounds; do you have any advice? Smile

Look forward in getting to know youSmile

Hugs

Doris

08/18/2011 11:58 AM
PrideofBdos
PrideofBdos  

Thanks for the welcome!My best advice I can give is to choose an exercise that is enjoyable and you feel good while doing it. I practice yoga and the deep breathing helps carry you through the intensity. Breathing through the nose, instead of the mouth during cardio (stationary bike) also makes the exertion a bit easier.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved