MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2010 03:02 PM

Cyndi Lauper

ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Cyndi Lauper lost her voice after intense vocal training in 1977, prompting doctors to say she would never sing again.

WRONG!!!!!!! Do you know someone that beat the odds?

01/13/2010 03:46 AM
Clarita
Clarita  
VIP Member

April, Yes, the singer Russel Watson- a British singer known as The People's Tenor. He had brain surgery on more than one occassion to remove tumors. He now is back singing , yet, what is more he believes his voice is better than ever!

The late Norman Cousins beat the odds big style- he was given just months to live so he checked out of hospital and checked into a hotel and healed himself of an incurable illness all through the power of the mind- positive thinking, vitamin c and large doses of humour! He astounded/confounded the doctors, too, with his progress. He went on to live a long long life.

Read all about Norman Cousins here at these linksSmile

http://www.squidoo.com/normancousins

http://www.dailycelebrations.com/072799.htm

Norman Cousins is one of my heroes, too. Seek out humour as often as possible and look for the funny in everything too as a form of self help therapy.

Thanks April for this brilliant post- awesome idea!!

Massive hugs, prayers, Celtic blessings, much love and warm wishes, your friend Clarita Smile xoxoxoxoxo

01/13/2010 12:57 PM
ohfaithful

Hey April,

This is an excellent idea, as "C" stated. I LOVE Cyndi Lauper and have enjoyed seeing her back on the scene!

I saw this yesterday and couldn't think of a story worthy of posting. Again, my self-esteem was getting in the way...I was filtering...I didn't want to include my own personal stuff because I didn't want anyone to think there was an agenda but I wanted to include a story that filled me with hope!

Self-esteem is a tricky thing for me because I'm always trying to make things "acceptible" to others...always filtering...always trying to put my best foot forward and in some ways can be a bit over zealous...easier to do online than in real life.

Today, however, I thought of this story that touched me about the man waking up from the coma. This story gives me hope because in a sense, I feel like I am "sleep walking" and living someone else's life. I remember when I heard this story originally and thought of ALL of the possibilities... I wondered HOW did he find the will to survive every day...seemingly invisible! I hope someone else makes the connection!Wink

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/24/coma.man.belgium/ index.html

01/13/2010 01:30 PM
Clarita
Clarita  
VIP Member

Hey ohfaithful, Many thanks for sharing this- that was totally awesome!! That has touched me deeply!! Always find these kind of stories especially coma ones really fascinating as well as inspiring!! Gives me hope too. The mind is so powerful- can heal itself. So much we do not know yet either- the more we glimpse at these treasures the more hope there is for all of us methinks.

Yes, often feel like am in a dream which will wake up from one day. Sometimes it is like being in a dream within a dream.

Yes, all the possibilities- how true, how well put ohfaithful!! Invisible threads. Invisible yet beautiful threads.

Remember when was feeling a little low as frustrated with lack of mobility- kept thinking of pre fibro life full of adventures/activities then all of a sudden feeling a prisoner within a body no longer recognised or even the reflection within the mirror. Then read Christopher Reeve's book 'Still Me' it was such a light bulb moment- he let me see how though my life had changed could still be free by using my mind and my imaagination.

So thanks for sharing this ohfaithful with us all. Sure it will inspire many people here!!

Just be You ohfaithful for if your best is not good enough, then they are not worthy of you- not the other way around. No need to put the best foot forward. Just be the best for You. Am thankful for having you as a friend, for certain!

Big hugs from a sleepy Clarita in Devon. Love to you you ohfaithful & love to all here. Love this group!!

xooxooxoox Smile C

01/13/2010 01:31 PM
Clarita
Clarita  
VIP Member

Love Cyndi Lauper, too, forgot to say!! True Colours and Time after Time are my favourite songs of hers!!

Warm goodnight wishes, C xooxooxoox

01/13/2010 08:51 PM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

Thank you Clarita. I love Cyndi Lauper as well!

01/14/2010 07:18 PM
ohfaithful

Today I watched the Oprah show and there was a story that she shared which touched my hearts... It was more than inspirational, it spoke to my heart. This little boy lost his twin brother and while that is depressing enough, the sadder part was that he wanted to die too. His parents took him to the doctor and instead of giving him medication, she gave him a dream. It was odd sitting there watch everyone cry, and me crying too, because as Oprah said the story is about more than a little boy needing a business plan... I would have to say kudos to all of them, Nate, Paul Dean, Oprah, etc., because of that doctor this kid is definitely beating the odds...

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Nate-Helps-a-Family-with- Grief

01/19/2010 03:49 AM
Clarita
Clarita  
VIP Member

ohfaithful, That is awesome. Miss watching Oprah- now that her show is no longer shown on Freeview. Have not the money to buy satelite TV yet would not want to pay extra anyhow as would rather go to the cinema as a treat. Yet, do miss Oprah big time!! Yet, wonderful to hear about her shows through you ohfaithful! Loved reading that true story just now.

Some Cyndi Lauper quotes want to share with you allSmile

You always have to remember - no matter what you`re told - that God loves all the flowers, even the wild ones that grow on the side of the highway

Smile

Humour is a great vehicle for getting a message across. If you get too serious, you could die of starch.

Smile

Someone else who inspires me greatly, Nick Vujicic- a young man from Australia who was born without any limbs. He has also been on Oprah!

Check out thisSmile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPmY4nIjVE&feature=related

Massive hugs, Love, Clarita Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved