MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/18/2009 10:50 PM

Weight gain with tumour(page 3)

slove
slove  

Hi Confuzzles and anyone else who has weight gain but not cushings. Did the surgery fix it?

11/19/2009 03:27 AM
Thinginmyhead
ThinginmyheadPosts: 202

The wieght gain thing is completely aweful--it changes alot both physically and emotionally. It's a struggle. I'm getting the impression that unless the numbers are off the charts, they don't medicate?

11/19/2009 03:54 AM
slove
slove  

I hate the weight gain it sounds silly in comparison to everything else that going on but as you say both emotionally and physically it is awful!!Sad

11/19/2009 07:33 AM
confuzzles

Exactly if the numbers are not off the charts they do nothing. I have had 2 pit tumor resections this year and with the 1st surgery I actually put on a few more pounds from the steroids and all rather than lose anything. I am hopeful that I will see more results this time? The weight gain to me is such a huge thing and affects so many aspects of my life. It definitly doesn't help with the already looming depression because of what we have to deal with on this.

11/19/2009 07:47 AM
confuzzles

Slove... all I can say is that I completely understand how you feel and what a relief it is for me to be able to say that. I have been looking for someone with a lot of the same issues that I have been having and it sounds like you do. Not that I would of course wish this on anyone but just knowing that there is someone who can "get it" as far as what I am feeling and such is a relief.

Like you I have great friends and family and my husband is amazing, but they can't really understand and to me that is the worst part.

As far as the surgery is concerned, I can honestly say that it is miserable. I just had my second resection a little over a week ago now. But the worst part is the waiting and anticipation for the day to get here. To me when they scheduled my 1st resection the dr had said that it was not imperative yet, but needs to be done in the near future. I went ahead and scheduled it because in my opinion the knowing that I was going to have to have the surgery eventually was just a strain on my future. I didn't have a lot of results from my 1st surgery but mine apparently is one of the 10-20 percentile that regrows. But here I am after having 2 of those dread surgeries still kicking and not giving up. And after being on here it sounds like for a lot of these people the surgery is a blip on the screen of their lives and they are back to normal within weeks of surgery.

Plus one thing to keep in mind is that because we have symptoms of cushings and prolactin levels are high... we don't fit any cooker cutter diagnosis which means that we can always confuse the drs even more by getting results that they don't think we should (that at least has been helping me get thru this) So I am extremely sorry for writing a novel, but I hope we can talk and maybe help each other on this!

11/19/2009 06:26 PM
nsweet
nsweet  

YES! I have lost weight...slowly so far since March about 70-75 pounds about 6 pounds a week...I still feel crappy. Due to the steriods,ddavp,synthroid,prozac,meds to sleep...I battle with insomnia severe thirst..and so on. I hope things are doing ok for you...

11/19/2009 06:28 PM
nsweet
nsweet  

I also had much better results the 2nd resection....and now there is no gland at all!

11/19/2009 06:29 PM
JordynsGigi
JordynsGigi  

Was your pituitary working after your first surgery??

11/20/2009 01:12 PM
nsweet
nsweet  

It was working for awhile then itstopped and all the symptoms came back in full force ten times worse and the tumor was real big..they had a hard time with it...Now 8 months later it is not working at all... Sad

11/20/2009 01:30 PM
Thinginmyhead
ThinginmyheadPosts: 202

This may be a stupid question...I'm fairly new to all of this because I just had my surgery 16 days ago. How do I know if my pit is working or not? What are the signs? What do I do if I think it's not working? I have an Endoc who I see in 2 weeks as follow up and did a whole bunch of bloodwork for her already. I think I have to continue to see her for up to a year unless things change? I had a non functioning macro adenoma (just had the pathology results this week) so now I know. It too was tricky in surgery and part of it is still in there, the part that is wrapped around the carotid. So if I'm understanding this correctly, than the pit gland may be working and then not working? Any insight into this would be very helpful. Thanks! I am feeling very tired--keep telling myself it's the post op and maybe so, but I'm not one to need naps in the afternoon and now can't go without.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved